Price Increase on Room Service Beverages

SilentTraveller

I am in the middle of my back-to-back cruises on the Crown. I just returned to the ship and was running late for the Muster Drill. The cabin steward came into my room and changed the price list for the water and sodas in the room. I then noticed that they had also changed the room service page with new prices for drinks through room service. I haven't had a chance to see if the prices in the lounges and bars have also changed.

Here are the new prices (as of 15 minutes ago):

Water 1.5L bottle - $3.25 (was $2.95)

Coke/Sodas in can - $1.75 (was $1.50)

From the room service menu:

Liquor package (375ml + 3 sodas/mixers) - $17.50 (was $15.00)

Beer (regular) 6 for the price of 5 - $18.75 (or $3.75 each)

Soda package 6 for the price of 5 - $8.75 (or $1.75 each)

This might be new (I don't recall seeing it before):

Wine Package 4 small 187ml bottles regularly $5/ea - $17.50

Beer/Wine Package 4 beers + 3 187ml bottles of wine - $24.50

I pulled out the Patters from last Saturday and this Saturday. Both are still listing the Soda Card at $3.95/day. Also, both are listing the Dos Equis beer package of 5 for the price of 4 at $14.00 (or $3.50 each).

Snowbird,

I'll check on the cost for the coffee card and the ice cream card. It appears that pricing is still being changed throughout the ship. This morning I purchased a can of diet coke at the bar and was charged $1.75. When I stopped at the water station to purchase some water while on the gangway the prices were still the old ones (0.5L of water for $1.95, 1.5L for $2.95, and sodas still available at the old price for $1.50).

I did notice that they have now replaced the price lists in the bar and the prices are also higher (however, I can only vouch for the few drinks I have purchased previously, so I don't know if all the prices have increased). The Dos Equis bucket of 5 beers for the price of 4 is now $15.75 and is higher than what was listed in the Princess Patter. Also, cans of Coors are $3.75, Dos Equis and Becks are $3.95, and the large can of Fosters is $6.25.

Since the prices in the Princess Patter appear to have been the old ones, I will check to see if the soda card really is at the old price or at a newer price. I don't see why they would leave the card purchases at the old prices while increasing them elsewhere.

Going on our first Princess cruise in April, so I'm relatively new to this board.

I've seen lots of posts about extra charges/increased charges for basic amenities I've come to expect on HAL. Pay for ice cream? Coffee cards? "Free" /non-free items on breakfast menus? Hey, isn't all room service FREE?

I'm not complaining, I just find it interesting that there are all these unexpected charges from what I've come to expect or did I interpret things incorrectly?

I've been on two Princess cruises over the past year and am going again in February. I knew about the soda card but do not drink much carbonated drinks. So, I never bothered to purchase the sticker.

:confused: However, I never knew they had a bulk price for coffee which I drink plenty of all day. Does this work the same way as the soda card? Does this purchase include other drinks besides coffee, such as tea and other non-carbonated drinks? Where do you purchase the sticker for the coffee card; any beverage bar or do you need to go to the coffee bar?

I would recommend you try the coffee in the cafeteria before purchasing the coffee card. As for the Crown, we could not see that much difference between the coffee bar and the cafeteria (always available for no charge at the cafeteria). The dining room coffee seemed a little better than the coffee bar to our taste (no charge for this during dinners), but maybe because we were being served :)

Sadly, on board, non commissionable, revenue is the name of their game these days. Cruise prices seem to have also increased. In spite of this Princess cruising is still a great way to vacation.

Cruise prices during peak travel times have increased substantially, but I'm surprised that there are still bargains to be found, at only 5-10% above 2002-2003 pricing, and that Princess is competitive in the bargain category with Carnival and RCL.

To do that they have had to substantially cut back on free perks and now raise prices on most items on-board - although its a wonder that they haven't done it sooner. Some people's nickel and diming are other people's choices. I'm sure the non-drinkers would much prefer higher drink prices than paying a little more per cabin for everyone.

I for one shop on a cabin price basis. I like the option of not buying on-board to keep the overall cost low. I don't have a choice when I pay for the cabin, but I do have a choice on the photos, excursions, drinks and other optional charges.

I am in the middle of my back-to-back cruises on the Crown. I just returned to the ship and was running late for the Muster Drill. The cabin steward came into my room and changed the price list for the water and sodas in the room. I then noticed that they had also changed the room service page with new prices for drinks through room service. I haven't had a chance to see if the prices in the lounges and bars have also changed.

Here are the new prices (as of 15 minutes ago):

Water 1.5L bottle - $3.25 (was $2.95)

Coke/Sodas in can - $1.75 (was $1.50)

From the room service menu:

Liquor package (375ml + 3 sodas/mixers) - $17.50 (was $15.00)

Beer (regular) 6 for the price of 5 - $18.75 (or $3.75 each)

Soda package 6 for the price of 5 - $8.75 (or $1.75 each)

This might be new (I don't recall seeing it before):

Wine Package 4 small 187ml bottles regularly $5/ea - $17.50

Beer/Wine Package 4 beers + 3 187ml bottles of wine - $24.50

I pulled out the Patters from last Saturday and this Saturday. Both are still listing the Soda Card at $3.95/day. Also, both are listing the Dos Equis beer package of 5 for the price of 4 at $14.00 (or $3.50 each).

Even more of a reason to bring your own!! :eek:

I've been on two Princess cruises over the past year and am going again in February. I knew about the soda card but do not drink much carbonated drinks. So, I never bothered to purchase the sticker.

:confused: However, I never knew they had a bulk price for coffee which I drink plenty of all day. Does this work the same way as the soda card? Does this purchase include other drinks besides coffee, such as tea and other non-carbonated drinks? Where do you purchase the sticker for the coffee card; any beverage bar or do you need to go to the coffee bar?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong - but I think the coffee card covers just a certain amount (maybe 10 or 12) cups of coffee, obtainable only at a certain places where I believe the coffee is much better than what is 'on tap' all day in the Horizon Cafe. The coffee card can only be used for coffee.

Prices will continue to go up because of inflation, the only concern is how high will inflation go? Like any other business, Princess has to show a good bottom line so that Carnival meets their profit expectations to their BOD and stockholders. By the way I just heard on CNBC Squawk Box that the Carnival Corporation beat their last quarter profit expectations.

I agree that there is no free lunch. If something perceives (sp?) to be 'free' on another cruise line it's because the other cruise line is making it up in another area or otherwise they could always go bankrupt if they do not recover their costs, as we have seen on ex-cruise lines. I am glad that Princess Cruises is still alive and well and hope that Carnival continues to let Princess run their own division.

Sure, I don't like seeing prices increase,:cool: but I understand why. And I am not one of those cruisers that think that Princess can do no wrong.:eek:

This is my OPINION, please do not chastise me for it.;)

Dollar Bill:)

Actually the coffee card is for 15 Specialty coffees like expresso, capachino etc. You purchase it from most of the bars. (some bars don't make them). In October it cost us $27.50. It will be interesting to hear if this price has increased as well.

Archived