Life in Quarantine

Cracker Ken

Do they only quarantine people with confirmed noro, or do they force ANYBODY who reports symptoms -- throwing up, diarrhea -- that could be caused by a variety of issues, both contagious and non-contagious?

. The policy of cruiseships is unhuman, especially in a small 136sq inside cabin.

:confused: Hi,

I'm sure you have an alternative to propose to the cruise lines and their 2000-odd guests when dealing with reported cases of the Norwalk/Noro virus, given this virus is HIGHLY contagious and transmitted by contact.

Perhaps throw the contagious persons over board ? Or maybe push your luck, wait until the next port and THEN evict them and the few others that would have become ill ? Oh, wait, maybe the cruise line hotel management and its medical staff ought to ''round up'' the stricken guests in one big bundle , confine the whole lot in the main dining room, lock the steel plated doors, wait till they get better , ''release them into society'', embargo the dining room for complete fumigation....and hope the other guests have nothing to complain about after being offered a compensation of 3 free cruises plus a double refund, for the missed meals in the now condemned dining rooms....

The point of this entirely cynical and caustic comment is this : isolation of a noro virus-stricken guest is not only the only common sense solution, but is mandated upon the lines ( if I'm not mistaken) by CDC.

Let's all go back to the OP, Cracker Ken, whose post is a fantastic narrative and an equally very sound commenttary on this unfortunate scenario.

Cheers, all

all in good spirits.

:o

Do they only quarantine people with confirmed noro, or do they force ANYBODY who reports symptoms -- throwing up, diarrhea -- that could be caused by a variety of issues, both contagious and non-contagious?

:) Hi,

IMO, confinement is '' limited'' to guests with confirmed ''noro'' or very highly suspected of having contracted the virus.

Cheers

;)

I found the CDC site informative (google norwalk virus or norovirus).

There are at least 31 genetic variants and immunity is fleeting (few months) so "re-infection" is not uncommon.

Blood types B and AB may have some natural immunity while type Os may be more susceptible.

Since there is no specific RX, Prevention is the only "appropriate" route and quarantine is among CDC's recommendations.

One might also ask if ill persons should be permitted to board a cruise ship.

Buen viaje.

M

One might also ask if ill persons should be permitted to board a cruise ship.

Buen viaje.

M

:( Good morning,

You make a very good point indeed. I guestimate that over 2/3 of all cases of '' noro breakout'' on board ships are brought on by people already contaminated or sick when they board,

IMO

Cheers

;)

c-l,

I looked (very superficially) for that data, but could not find anything scientific.

However, it apprears that some recent outbreaks at sea have been traced back to cohorts ill upon boarding.

Hopefully, we shall see more confirmation.

Outbreaks on Navy ships are either unreported or rare.

M

A friend of mine is just back from the Mercury. She got off in San Diego, and was quarantined for 3 days when one of 3 people in her suite was ill with what appeared to be the virus. She and the other lady in the suite did not get ill. Apparently, many others on board did get sick as well. She said they were on a "code 5", and washed the entire ship down with bleach, which did make her feel sick. Ruined an outfit when she brushed against the back of the elevator! Anyone know about this? Please forgive me if it is already mentioned in this thread. Only had time to read the last page!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello; Not sure if Ken is the only one to read this; while I agree that ken did what you thought was right, I would caution others not to be too quick to volunteer to put yourself in the position of being quarantined: about 3 years ago, before the virus became so common i was on a holland american cruise, and went to the ship's medical center asking for immodium, not realizing that i would set off a firestorm; first thing the nurse tried to brow beat me into a test and when i refused, she said i was being selfish; i tried to tell her that a periodic bout with diarahea while travelling was not unusual for me, and therefore i was not willing to visit with an MD, and told her frankly i was doing so because i thought they were getting ready to quarantine me. About an hour later, a messinger came to my room to deliver immodium, and i refused it believing that if i accepted it, it would be proof that i realy was sick. Next day, we stopped in aruba, i got a dose of immodium and was fine the next day. This is my point, especially for folks new to cruising: YOU NEED TO THINK TWICE ABOUT GOING TO THE SHIP'S MD OFFICE, FOR WHEN YOU DO, THE END RESULT MIGHT BE YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF QUARANTINED OR OFF THE SHIP. Ken's quote from Celebrity's policy manual deserves a careful reading.

Hello; Not sure if Ken is the only one to read this; while I agree that ken did what you thought was right, I would caution others not to be too quick to volunteer to put yourself in the position of being quarantined: about 3 years ago, before the virus became so common i was on a holland american cruise, and went to the ship's medical center asking for immodium, not realizing that i would set off a firestorm; first thing the nurse tried to brow beat me into a test and when i refused, she said i was being selfish; i tried to tell her that a periodic bout with diarahea while travelling was not unusual for me, and therefore i was not willing to visit with an MD, and told her frankly i was doing so because i thought they were getting ready to quarantine me. About an hour later, a messinger came to my room to deliver immodium, and i refused it believing that if i accepted it, it would be proof that i realy was sick. Next day, we stopped in aruba, i got a dose of immodium and was fine the next day. This is my point, especially for folks new to cruising: YOU NEED TO THINK TWICE ABOUT GOING TO THE SHIP'S MD OFFICE, FOR WHEN YOU DO, THE END RESULT MIGHT BE YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF QUARANTINED OR OFF THE SHIP. Ken's quote from Celebrity's policy manual deserves a careful reading.

While I agree that you should think twice about going to the ships doctor, there is a big difference between 'normal bouts', sea sickness and noro. If you're not prone to normal bouts or seasickness, then yes, you should go. On my last trip, one day the sea was SO rocky and lasted for 14 hours, even I got a little nauseous. I was smart enough to realize what it was and rode it out. However, if I had the accompanying signs (of noro) before or after that, I would have gone to the doctor.

While I agree that you should think twice about going to the ships doctor, there is a big difference between 'normal bouts', sea sickness and noro. If you're not prone to normal bouts or seasickness, then yes, you should go. On my last trip, one day the sea was SO rocky and lasted for 14 hours, even I got a little nauseous. I was smart enough to realize what it was and rode it out. However, if I had the accompanying signs (of noro) before or after that, I would have gone to the doctor.

:cool: Good evening,

GOOD ON YOU !!! Thanks for the solid attitude.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

I haven't checked in here in a while.

We always take Immodium in our little supply bag when we cruise, so I'd never have to ask for it.

Be assured, if you come down with noro, you will know. As an example:

If I don't take Bonine or Meclazine, I can get sea sick. I also get car sick if a passenger sometimes. I stay off of fair rides. Noro doesn't resemble what I've experienced as motion sickness.

I have had the "trots" many times. Lots of experience over the years in that regard, including a couple of "bouts" while on a ship. Noro isn't the same.

I've never had fever, chills, severe joint pain, extreme stomach and abdominal pain and leg cramps with motion sickness or "trots." I had all of that with noro. It was awful.

Immodium most likely won't work at all if you have noro. I know the ships doctor will give it to you, but I took plenty from my first symptom, and it didn't phase it one bit. You will have "symptoms" until there's nothing left inside you, and you are almost dehydrated. One thing Immodium can do for you, is cause extreme constipation and worse. I'll stop there. :rolleyes:

I started having trouble about 7:30 or so at night, and it was almost over by noon the next day.

I went to the doctor due to public health concerns, and to do the right thing. Simple as that I care about that sort of thing. I also care about my fellow human beings as well, and that goes for the cabin boys, and my fellow cruisers. That's just the way I am. In doing so, I missed the most anticipated port of call on my trip (aside from the Panama Canal Transit). Bummer. There will be a next time.

For the sake of being "fare and balanced" - here's some other info. - Regarding the credit voucher that was promised in consideration of the 3 days in quarantine and missed ports of call - Never happened. That's right, never got it. I have the original signed letter from the hotel manager right here at my desk. I was promised a voucher within 30 days. Those 30 days ran out on 1/23/07. We called up Celebrity about this, letter in hand. The customer service folks said they didn't know anything about such a credit for my account. We explained nicely, so they said to fax the paperwork and they would take care of it. I faxed a nice letter, copies of my booking sheet, the letter from the hotel manager on Mercury, and papers from the doctor. That was on 3/22/07. Haven't heard a word from them. I'm not done yet. I didn't go into quarantine because of a promise of a voucher (actually, I didn't know anything about it before I went to the clinic), but they promised it, and I'm going to hold them to it. I'll advise what happens.

As for the bleach stained dress or blouse - I hate to be so simplistic, but it's best to not lean up against a wet wall when the smell of bleach is strong on a ship. There were wet walls on my trip, and I knew it.

Y'all take care.

Ken

Thank you, Ken, for coming back to clarify the symptoms. Never having had it myself, I DID know they'd be a HUGE difference. Basically if you have it, you know you have it. But again, not experiencing it myself I couldn't be an authority.

Again, thank you for doing the right thing.

Edited to add good luck with the vouchers! I hope they come thru for you.

We were on the Mercury from March 18 to 26 cruising the Mexican west coast out of San Diego. The ship had just come from Florida the previous two weeks through the Panama Canal.

They had some norovirus on that two-week cruise, so we were under Code Red when we boarded. Constant bleach parties. Passengers not allowed to serve themselves in buffets or even pass around salt shakers or buns at dinner.

Part way through our cruise, they had their allocated number of days of no virus on the ship, and the rules were relaxed. We got to have salt shakers again, and less bleach parties.

Ken and others,

ACCORDING TO CDC ONLY 12% OF CASES OCCUR ON CRUISE SHIPS, NURSING HOMES, HOSPITALS AND SCHOOLS HAVE A HIGHER RATE OF INFECTION.

I contracted noro on the Zenith 2/19 sailing and like Ken says, it is unlike "normal/usual" diarrhea, etc. Being a retired public health nurse and having had some very serious illness in my life I knew immediately when the first symptoms (eruptions at both ends) happened exactly what I had.

We had done everything possible to prevent this through out the duration of the 11 day cruise but on the evening of the 8th day I became ill and call the medical facility. If people would go to the medical facility it would help the ship deal with this issue better. Yes, my husband was confined with me but he did not get the noro.

The credit was also unexpected and we did not read the letter until we got home (that is when we saw the differences in what we were told by the doctor and what the letter says). At that time all I wanted to do was start feeling better, stop the "eruptions" which continued for 4 days and stop the fever and cramps.

X's policy is not consistant, credit voucher said it was good for 1 year, letter from Zenith hotel manager said good for 2 years. X tells us the credit for me is 48 hours or 2 days per diem of the cost of cruise but my husband is only 24 hours or 1 day. The Zenith doctor told us that both of us were confined until the end of the cruise.

X NEEDS TO GET THEIR POLICIES TOGETHER SO EVERYONE IS TALKING FROM THE SAME BOOK!!!!!!:mad:

We did receive the vouchers in the mail after calling customer service 3 times. Now we are waiting to hear from X Customer Service about correcting the voucher for my husband and changing the expiration time of the voucher from 1 year to 2 years.

We do not want something for nothing but they offered us the vouchers and now they can't get their policy straight, give us what the doctor said, "48 hours confinement" and the hotel manager's letter "good for 2 years".

Will this keep us from sailing again, NO already booked another cruise and will take the precautions again but will be even more strick with ourselves, use our own bathroom, our own cups and ice from cabin and take our own salt and pepper shakes (that should get a laugh from our table mates). We wil be traveling with 6 other couples who know how to enjoy a cruise so we are looking toward the positive,;) the cup is always half full...........

I found this Thread by accident and thought I would put in my 2 cents. I always carry Purell and continually use the purifiers outside the restaurants and elevators. Our DR. also prescribes a mild antibiotic, as an extra precaution, on all our trips. He is not in the habit of prescribing antibiotics so we don't worry about building up a resistance. We only took them twice. . .once in Cancun and once in Barcelona. I know the symptoms of sea-sickness, unfortunately.

I find that airplanes are a breeding ground for Intestional and, mostly, Pulmonary Diseases and wonder how many cruisers were infected before they even set foot on the ship. As for the salt and pepper shakers, on one HAL cruise they only supplied packets of each along with sugar and other condiments. At the buffet, you had to be served while standing outside a roped off area. You were actually instructed to use the anti bacteria contraptions before entering any eating area.

Now for business. I never cruised with Celebrity and would like some advice. Our TA has some great prices on an Alaska, Hubbard Glacier Cruise aboard the Mercury. Does Celebrity cater mostly to young people? In other words, is it a party boat? We are Young At Heart Seniors who enjoy the diversity of age groups but were told the activities of some lines are mostly planned for the younger set.

Also, has anyone here spent time in Rome?

Carole

Now for business. I never cruised with Celebrity and would like some advice. Our TA has some great prices on an Alaska' date=' Hubbard Glacier Cruise aboard the Mercury. Does Celebrity cater mostly to young people? In other words, is it a party boat? We are Young At Heart Seniors who enjoy the diversity of age groups but were told the activities of some lines are mostly planned for the younger set.

Also, has anyone here spent time in Rome?

Carole[/quote']

Hi, Carole:) ... can't help you with Rome. But generally speaking Celebrity attracts a more mature crowd. That said, Alaska attracts families and if you're thinking of going during the summer there will probably be more young people than off season.

But Celebrity ships are not known to be "party" boats. In fact if anything I would say people complain that it's the other way around.

Celebrity is my cruise line of choice ... #1 always! If you do a search for "Alaska" or go to ports and look for "Rome" you should get a lot of information that will help you.

Thanks for the assurance. We crused NCL out of NYC and there were over 500 kids on board. Some were so unrully, they and thier families were put off the ship in San Juan. We docked next to The Disney Magic and Wonder at two different ports. I was wearing my NCL pin and people on those ships, and others, shared remarks that boiled down to, "I see you're on the cruise from Hell." The horror stories had preceded us.

Carole

RE: ROME, We enjoyed 5 days of a pre-cruise vacation in Rome. Unfortunately, the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel photos on my digital disc fried somewhere between Rome and Barcelona. I think it was only 24 MGs or so. I have a few of St. Peter's and the courtyard on another disc. I am going to burn a DVD for a relative who is house bound. He can't wait to see the photos of the Vatican Museum. Bummer!!! He was in Rome for business several times but saved Vatican City for a trip with his wife. Never Happen.

I am looking for C.C. members who may have a few digital photos they would be willing to share. We purchased a Vatican City book so we can reminisce (SP). Someone at our table sent us a few, on a CD. The rest have members of his family in them.

I do go on,

Carole

I think that I have been in hibernation!! I met Cracker Ken the first day out on the Mercury on the 12/8 cruise. I did not know that he caught the noro virus!!

Ken.....Thank you so much for not only sharing your story.....but giving everyone the facts that surround the symptoms.......and when to see a doctor onboard.

Those that don't want to follow the rules of reporting while cruising.....well.......please just DON'T cruise!! What I have learned from this is..........if I see someone sick.........I'll report it!!

Rick

Returned yesterday from 14 days on the Summit. I got sick on day 5 and am still having some GI problems. The treatment I received on board was wonderful. I don't believe I picked it up onboard. The staff was constantly sanitizing and you were required to use the alcohol based stuff before entering any eating area or the computer centers. I carried Purell in my purse and used it.

Against my better judgement, I let some fellow passengers talk me into eating at the cliff divers in Mexico.. NEVER AGAIN.

Archived