Life in Quarantine

Cracker Ken

Yep, that's right, I caught the Norovirus on Mercury during the Panama Canal cruise that left San Diego on 12/8/06. Bummer. I thought a timely, accurate, and informative post on this popular subject from a person with first hand knowledge could be helpful. This is long, but I hope this helps. This should give some insight to anyone who may have questions or concerns, especially as it relates to how Celebrity handles things.

First, let me preface this post with a few points:

1/ I do not hold Celebrity liable for the fact that I contracted Norovirus while on Mercury over the past 2 weeks. My attitude is: “That’s life.”

2/ This post isn’t a complaint against Celebrity, simply because I have no complaints.

3/ Due to the probable incubation times (up to 72 hrs), and time I first experienced symptoms, there’s no doubt that I contracted it on the ship, somewhere, somehow, or from someone. This is what the ship’s doctor told me.

4/ The ship’s staff treated me very kindly, thoughtfully, and professionally.

5/ The examination by the ship's doctor and the medicine was free of charge.

6/ This will not keep me from sailing again with “X” or any other line (2 future X cruises booked).

7/ The information contained in this post is true and correct, based on my experience, what I was told, and on paperwork provided by the guest relations and medical staff on-board, which I have handy here at the computer while writing this post.

Now for the fun stuff:

On 12/8/06, I boarded Mercury in San Diego for the 15 night Panama Canal cruise. I felt just fine, with no problems or symptoms. I was familiar with recent outbreaks of Norovirus on ships and elsewhere, and I was determined to avoid it if at all possible. I even brought some of the mini-bottles of Purel for use on the ship. I also broke my bad habit of nail biting (something that’s very risky behavior when it comes to noro, and other things out there in the world). When I boarded and went to the buffet area, I immediately started using the hand sanitizers. When in a bathroom, I washed with hot water and soap. I pressed all elevator buttons with my elbow or the knuckle of my little finger (unless someone else pushed the button). I avoided handrails. When needed, I braced against the handrails with my forearm. One thing I noted is that it’s hard to sit down in a chair without touching it at some point (a good way for disease transmission).

Not long after I boarded, within a day or two, I heard that a group of people had boarded Mercury in San Diego with Norovirus. The group had stayed at the Holiday Inn across the street from the cruise terminal, and that about 30 out of 100 had the Norovirus. Hearing this, I paid even more attention to disease avoidance measures. I was shoving doors open with my elbow, and doing anything I could think of.

On 12/12/06, we were in Acapulco. I was on shore most of the day on an excursion. I found an Internet Café and wrote home, telling my wife (at home caring for her mother who recently had surgery) that I had avoided getting sick, even though some Norovirus victims were onboard. I spoke too soon. Later in the afternoon I went to the Pool Grill for a burger, only to find that I wasn’t really hungry (an unusual condition for me). Later, I went to the pizza/pasta station for dinner, but the smell of food didn’t appeal to me. I started getting worried. I went to my cabin, but the attendants were completing my evening service. I waited in the lobby near the front desk, and about 8PM “It” hit me. Time to make a run for the facilities. Oh no! It can’t be true, can it?! Maybe a one-time thing? No such luck. Not good. I had a really nice tour booked in Huatulco the next morning, as well as a trip booked in Puntarenas.

The next 14 hours were bad, VERY bad. I had all the obvious symptoms, plus terrible acid reflux, fever, chills, aching, cramping leg muscles, and no sleep (no time to sleep anyway). I took Imodium, and it didn’t work.

By mid-morning on 12/13, the symptoms had subsided enough that I thought I could make it to the medical clinic without interruption. I wanted to be checked out and receive any available treatment. I knew that I would be quarantined when I went to the doctor, no doubt. Even though the quarantine would affect my plans, I knew that I had to report in the interest of controlling further outbreak of the virus. It’s very easy to feel sorry for yourself and want to avoid the quarantine, but this is a public health issue and it’s quite simply the right thing to do. To fail to report to the clinic would be quite selfish, irresponsible, and very inconsiderate of the other people on the ship.

I washed up thoroughly, sanitized my hands with Purel, and left my cabin to go to the clinic. I placed a note in the message holder on the outside of my cabin door warning my cabin stewards that I probably had Norovirus. While on the way, I managed to get up to the very top observation deck above the Navigator’s Lounge for about 5 minutes and took a few pictures of the scenery before going to the clinic. I didn’t touch anything with my hands and avoided people. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken this photo-op detour, but I did. I then went to the clinic. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork related to my symptoms, time of on-set, where I had been staying prior to the cruise, what I had to eat, etc. Lots and lots of questions were on the forms, which were very thorough (some of the forms were from the US CDC). I then saw the ship’s doctor, Dr. Bob, a very nice man, who gave me a complete checkup. I was provided with Imodium capsules for treatment of symptoms. The nausea had subsided by this time.

(Continued)

Part 2 -

I received printed instructions, including a list of foods to eat, and foods to avoid, during my illness and quarantine. The instructions contained admonishments related to cooperation with the quarantine and information about what would happen if I violated the quarantine.

Some excerpts from the paperwork follow (emphasis is from the letter and text is verbatim, including typographical errors):

“WHAT TO EAT OR DRINK:

White Rice

Baked Potatoes

Chicken consommé’, plain pasta soup.

Chicken Breast

Melon

Watermelon

Apple

Apple Juice

Mint Tea

Chamomile Tea

Yogurt (while taking antibiotic)

Bread, toasts”

Other info and warnings:

“To avoid the risk of spreading Norovirus, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has instructed the cruise industry to isolate all persons affected by Norovirus, or have them disembark the ship.

Isolation:

· I’ll guests must be isolated during the period of their illness AND for an additional 48 hours following the last symptom. The 48 hours of isolation is required even though symptoms subside within 24 to 48 hours, because people remain contagious for a longer period of time.

· Close contacts of ill people (roommates, traveling companions, etc.) must also be isolated for 24 hours, to ensure they have not contracted the illness. After the 24 hours of isolation, close contacts are to see the doctor.

· Guests who agree to isolation onboard our ship will be compensated for the time they are isolated. Our Guest Relations staff will provide you with information regarding this compensation.

· Arrangements will be made to have meals delivered to your stateroom.

· Guests who violate their isolation requirements are subject to the loss of their entire compensation offer.

· Guests who violate their isolation requirements are subject to disembarkation from the ship, and are responsible for all associated expenses, including the cost of food, lodging and their return home.

· Should a guest violate their isolation and be disembarked from the ship, we have an obligation to report those facts to local health authorities in that port of call.

· Local health authorities may also impose a their own, similar isolation period in that port of call before granting permission to stay at a local hotel or board a flight.

Disembarkation:

· Should a guest choose to voluntarily disembark the ship while ill with a contagious disease, we have an obligation to report those facts to local health authorities in that port of call.

· Guests who choose to voluntarily disembark the ship are required to see a shore-side physician in that port of call.

· Local health authorities may also impose a their own, similar isolation period in that port of call before granting permission to stay at a local hotel or board a flight.”

END of quotations.

That info is quite clear. No ambiguities there.

I firmly believe that anyone caught with the illness, and not reporting it, should be quarantined, and if they refuse, be held against their will (in the brig if needed) until being disembarked from the ship at the next port with no support from the cruise line. Likewise, people caught lying on their embarkation questionnaire about having the illness should receive the same fate, perhaps worse (like black-balled from cruising on the same line in the future, for starters). This would relate to those who already have the disease, with symptoms, and know they are lying when they complete the form.

There was no charge for the examination or medication. I was invited to call and/or return to the clinic for follow-up as needed at no charge. The front page of the daily ship newsletter had this information clearly explained each and every day of the cruise, letting people know their exam and treatment would be free, and asking that they come to the clinic. The Captain also made specific announcements about the situation over the ship’s PA system at least twice during the cruise.

I was told that there would be some compensation for the time I spent in quarantine. I didn’t expect, nor did I plan to ask for, any compensation. It was (and is) my understanding that the compensation was a goodwill gesture on the part of the cruise line in exchange for the inconvenience of quarantine and the cooperation of the ill person. I feel that this is fair, decent and adequate. Per the letter I received, the compensation will be tabulated by Celebrity’s home office based upon the period of quarantine (72 hours) and what I paid for the cruise. The credit will be provided to my travel agent for use on a future cruise. There was no credit applied to my shipboard account – just the letter promising the pro-rata credit for use on a future cruise. Also, the medical clinic provided me with a doctor’s excuse, and the shore excursions that I missed due to the sickness and quarantine were refunded at 100% and applied to my shipboard account, with no questions asked.

When I arrived back at the cabin, I received a call from a nice lady in the Guest Relations department who further explained the quarantine. She told me that room service would be available at any time, and that I could get the items allowed per the list provided by the doctor. I was told that I would have unlimited pay-per-view movies while under quarantine. While under quarantine, I received 2 or 3 calls per day (at various times) from the lady at guest relations. I feel sure that the calls were multi-purpose, both to check on my welfare, and (perhaps most importantly) to make sure that I was cooperating with the quarantine. I thought this to be very reasonable, and the lady (I think her name was Angelina) was very pleasant and professional. I also received a follow-up call from the clinic. One day, a ships officer came by my cabin to check on me.

By the time I arrived back in my cabin from the clinic, it had already been thoroughly sanitized all over. This includes the table, mirrors, walls, counter tops, and even the floor. A faint smell of chlorine bleach was present, but not overpowering. This sanitization process took place 2 times per day during my time of quarantine. I had to stay inside the cabin while the sanitization and routine room cleaning was completed. I finally got to see the attendants at work. These guys are great, and work fast. Their efficiency, at the speed they work, is commendable.

After the first day, my stateroom attendants changed. I later found out that my regular attendants were also placed in quarantine since they had been cleaning up at least one (mine, maybe more) rooms with infected people.

During my first day, after the symptoms subsided, I slept for hours. Later, I made use of the free pay-per-view movies offer. This also gave me a much-needed chance to study the owner’s manual for my new digital SLR camera (they have lots and lots of buttons and menu settings to learn). The ship was showing a National Geographic documentary on the building of the Panama Canal. This was quite interesting and informative, especially since we were headed for the canal. I think I watched that special twice. There was a TV classics channel, which had the Andy Griffith Show, Beverly Hillbilly’s, George Burns and Gracie Allen, Red Skelton, and much more. That was entertaining (when you are locked up in solitary, it doesn’t take much to be entertained, believe me). I caught some old episodes of Bonanza, etc. This was also a good time to utilize the bridge cam for a view of the outside world. I had an inside cabin. All in all, I managed to say occupied and didn’t go nuts with boredom. One of my tablemates, Jay (he and his wife are fellow CC folks), phoned me each afternoon to chat and see if there was anything they could do for me. I appreciated that contact a lot. It meant a lot to me to have someone other than the ship staff showing concern and checking on me.

The clinic called and told me that I would be in quarantine until 11:00AM on 12/16/06. I was looking forward to this date and time, like a prisoner waiting to get out of jail. When the time finally came, I was dressed and ready to leave when time. Finally, it’s 11:00AM – Free at last, free at last! Thank God Almighty; I’m free at last! (Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.) After quickly taking care of the shore excursion cancellations, I made tracks for the buffet. Good, tasty food again. Nice.

When I got back in circulation, I noticed the restrictions around the buffet and in the dining room on what we could touch, and what the staff had to help us with. They were manning the sanitization stations, seeing to it that everyone entering the buffet area cleaned their hands. People were spraying and wiping all over the ship for days, including the entertainment staff and our CD, Stewart (observed in white coveralls with his spray bottle). The staff worked very hard to control the outbreak. Before the end of the cruise, we were told that the outbreak had been confined with no new reports of illness for 7 days (as far as they knew – it wouldn’t surprise me if other folks had it and kept it secret). The hard work paid off. The inconveniences to the passengers related to this outbreak were very minimal. I heard some passengers moaning and groaning, trying to trivialize the virus out-break, while trying to maximize their inconvenience. I heard people complaining about the sanitization efforts around the ship too. I don’t know where these people’s heads were, but I do have an idea.:D

If anyone has any specific questions about the experience, please ask.

Otherwise, this was a great and enjoyable cruise. The ports were interesting, not the least of which was the Panama Canal transit. The weather was nice the entire time. Lots of sunburns were observed on the ship too.

On a positive note: I have finally discovered a way to go on a cruise and NOT gain any weight! Think about it….;)

Ken

Cracker Ken,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Sounds like a heck of a way to spend your cruise. It sounds like the Noro Virus is going around. I have also read reports about bleaching on the Infinity and Summit this month.

Thanks for your detailed report.

At one time you were considering the TA I sailed over Nov. 24- Dec. 10. Too bad you didn't follow thru! We did not have any outbreaks & the sanitizers were everywhere on the Millennium & PEOPLE ACTUALLY WERE USING THEM!

I am glad you are finished with this & the next cruise will be without any incidents at all!

Happy Holidays to you and your lovely wife! Hope to see you both on a cruise again in the future!

Faith

Very good Ken...

Like I said in your e-mail to me...sorry to hear about the couple of days in the cabin...but at least you know how to use that new fancy camera now.

Yes ladies...he actually read the directions...:p

I do agree with Ken about getting the Noro or any other illness when at sea. See the doctor. Last year on the Veendam I got very ill (sit downs and vomiting) during the night and saw the doctor the next AM. Food problem from dining in Belize. Went away in mid afternoon. But it could have been worse.

Again I agree with Ken about this and can not say enough. We see it here in Tampa all the time with sick ships. It is not fun for the rest of the pax if someone gets it and spreads it to everyone else.

Ken complied with he rules and is being compensated for doing such. He put himself in a self imposed brig. If folks can't do what Ken did...then they "should" be put in the real brig.

Very good post Ken

Jeff

Thank you Ken for your informative report!!!!

I had heard, I think from Jo-An, that you had gotten ill on the cruise. It sounds like it didn't put too much of a damper on your cruise.

My SIL and here family have been dealing with Noro or somthing similar this week and They have never been on a cruise!!!. Any way, I know I wouldn't want it, but it sounds like you made the best of it!!!!

Happy Cruising, and Happy Holidays!!!!

Ken, thank you for taking the time to provide a very comprehensive report. Clearly, you did all of the right things from trying to avoide the virus to the actions that you took upon it onset. You have a wonderful attitude and that is wonderful to see.

Sorry to hear that you got sick in the first place but glad to hear that you are well and looking forward to your next cruises.

Keith

Ken I have been looking at the Tampa Hotel and haven't seem any replys, although I think everything has already been answered by now, and wondered how you were. Well I didn't expect to hear what I read in your very comprehensive report of your trip. Very sorry to read of your illness but congratulate you on the way you handled it. We were on the Statendam in Nov. to NZ & Australia and we began the cruise with a virus scare and were in a Code red for 5 days. Happy to report that I didn't hear any one being sick. Your report were great and glad to read that you eventually had a good cruise. We are booked on the Amsterdam in April for Panama Canal Cruise. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and all the best in the coming year.

Hey Ken, thanks for the great summary.

This was our third experience on a "sick ship". Veendam and Zenith were our previous experiences with the dreaded NLV... successfully avoided suffering on all three.

While onboard Mercury I overheard two conversations re quarantine...

1) One lady was talking around the pool during lunchtime that a friend was travelling solo and was in quarantine. Because here friend was so lonely in her cabin she was going to visit her and play cards together...:eek:

2) In the Navigator lounge a husband was talking to others about his wife being in quarantine the day prior to our Panama Canal transit. One of them asked him... She's not staying in her cabin tomorrow is she? She paid to see the canal and 6 hours away from her cabin should not affect anyone. :eek:

Ken if it's OK with you I can post some of my pictures of the cleaning crew.

I think Mercury and her entire crew were awesome in protecting most of the passengers from the virus. Except for an occasional streak on the walls Mercury did not display the caked on sprays mentioned during other outbreaks.

Arno - Yes, please post some of those pics.

Those conversations you heard are crazy indeed. I have to wonder if the lady wanting to play cards got ill. It serves her right if she did:p . I was thinking - If the virus happened to be a deadly virus, like maybe Smallpox or Ebola, would people pay attention? Maybe that's a bad example, since if it was those diseases, the people wouldn't be able to be out walking around.

One thing for sure - the ship always had a nice, clean smell. No odors. I think the cleaning also helped to difuse many of those overbearing and mixed "fragrance" odors so common on cruises.:)

Good to see y'all again. Hope to see you on Connie next year.

Boards - Hi there. Doing well here. Thanks for asking. I haven't written as much on the Tampa thread lately since I've been too busy with work, with ovetime. I write a lot of reports and e-mails at work, and sometimes I just get tired and don't feel like writing much at night. As you say, most of the questions have been answered many times over by now. I still try to answer when I have time though.

Ken

Thank you for the very informative post. It sounds like Celebrity did a great job of attempting to keep the virus from spreading. I do have a question, though. If they know that 30 passengers boarded the ship in San Diego with Norovirus, why in the world did they allow them on? It sounds like they realized when they were boarding that they were already symptomatic. Or did I misunderstand your statement?

My only other observation is that it sounds like you were given very good medical advice except for one item on the list of foods to consume. Apples and apple sauce are good, but apple juice is a no-no. The apples and apple sauce contain pectin, which is good for diarrhea, but the sugar in the apple juice with make diarrhea worse. Other than that, I think you were given topnotch treatment.

We've seen lots of children in our pediatric practice the past 2-3 weeks with what I'm sure is Norovirus (we don't actually test them, but symptoms indicate that is what they have). It has been an outbreak all over our area in southern New Jersey.

One thing I noted is that it’s hard to sit down in a chair without touching it at some point (a good way for disease transmission).

I remember seeing the backs of the chairs in the Galaxy's main restaurant being cleaned one evening near the end of late dining. When I asked about the procedure they said it's one area that everyone touches.

Ken,

Congratulations on one of the most intelligent, sensitive and informative messages regarding Norovirus outbreaks. So reassuring to hear about good medical care and sensitive responses on the part of Celebrity. Hope you are at 100% now and have smooth sailings in the future. You sound like a great guy. Hope we sail together sometime in the future.

I am glad that your experience did not dampen your desire to cruise. It appears to me that over the past several years the cruise lines are more responsive to passengers with regards to the virus. Your experience was different than mine when my wife was in quarantine two years ago. Good luck on your future cruises.

Ken,

Congratulations on one of the most intelligent, sensitive and informative messages regarding Norovirus outbreaks. So reassuring to hear about good medical care and sensitive responses on the part of Celebrity. Hope you are at 100% now and have smooth sailings in the future. You sound like a great guy. Hope we sail together sometime in the future.

Ken, I have to echo Sheila's remarks regarding your experience. You handled it in a mature, responsible way, with a remarkable attitude.

Illnesss can happen anywhere, and at anytime. 3 1/2 yrs. ago, my DH and I were in Tampa for a seminar, and he contracted SARS. Flu symtoms at first, and did manage to get back to Calif. immediately. 2 days later, he was on full life support....for 3 weeks. He's just fine now, but you do realize that anytime you travel, or not, things do happen. We don't play the blame game, or live in the "shoulda, coulda, woulda" state of life....

Hope you're feeling better now, and Happy Holidays!

Karyn

Ken, I read your report right after you posted it. I was so impressed with your attitude and positive report. I hope that we meet on a cruise some day as it seems like you're a person worth knowing. I hope a lot of people read your report and will be as positive as you. Thank you.

Ken ~ I second everything Spengle said above. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this important information. The detail provided took time and effort to pull together and we sincerely appreciate you sharing it with all of us.

I'm going to make this a stick for the time being as I feel it's very important information for everyone who cruises to read.

Thanks again, glad you are feeling better and perhaps when we sail together sometime, you can teach me how to use all the bells and whistles on my digital SLR! :)

When I got the noro on the Mariner of the Seas in January 2005 I was treated much the same as you with a couple of exceptions.

The doc gave us a list of items we could eat but room service had none of them and took 5-6 hours to give us what they had. We weren't even aware we were quarantined until we received the only phone call we got from Customer Service on the second day of our illness. The room attendant did nothing more than knock on our door and ask if we wanted towels during the entire three days. There was no sanitization of our room while we were on the ship.

We expected nothing but were told by Customer Relations in that solitary conversation with them that we would receive a "free cruise" if we obeyed the quarantine but we later received a 3 day credit for me and one day for my wife who did not get the virus.

We just returned from another Mariner cruise we took to use our credit. What a difference in the way sanitization was treated in the DR's and the Fitness Center. They could not have done more to provide a healthy environment.

I'm 68 and have had the noro twice in my life, both times on cruise ships.

Everyone - Thanks a lot for your comments and compliments. I really appreciate it.

I'm back to 100% now. Actually, I was feeling quite well by the time I got out of the dungeon (a.k.a. - Inside Cabin).

One thing I didn't mention about the room service during quarantine. They were very prompt. I never waited long at all. They always had everything I ordered, which surprised me. On the 3rd day, I decided that I'd make a chicken sandwich for lunch (no mayo, mustard or ketchup though). So, I ordered toast and a chicken breast. Somebody in the kitchen was obviously attentive that day. I received 1 & 1/2 chicken breasts with large pieces of an oval shaped bread for toast, just right for the perfect chicken sandwich. I was impressed that someone figured this out by themself, as I never mentioned a sandwich. Additionally, they would give me my tray at the door, and I had to keep it inside the room when finished, instead of putting it out in the hallway. The room attendant would take it away to be sanitized before it went back to the kitchen.

As for attitudes about this sort of thing (and others) - we all have choices, and we control our own attitudes. Outside influences or circumstances can create problems for us, but it's how we process things that gives us our "attitude" as a final product. I could have been mad, depressed, annoyed, etc, and could have sulked for 72 hours. That wouldn't have helped anything. So, I just made the best of it.

Quendreth & Judy - Long time no see or hear from. Thanks for your comments. Perhaps we'll catch up with y'all on another cruise someday.

Host Anne - Noted and thank you. I'm glad I could help.

Ken

Ken ~ one additional note ~ I sure hope you didn't have any damage from the weather up your way today! And I hope you get upgraded to a veranda next time (would you have been allowed to go on the veranda if you had one?).

Archived