Carry on board?

txsmiles

I have seen some comments about carrying on some water and/or wine & champagne at embarkation... can anyone confirm that this really is allowed, and how much is "OK"? Would a small, soft-sided, rolling cooler with champagne, my favorite soda, and water be permitted? Is this too tacky?

Also, can I carry on flowers for my cabin? We'll be celebrating a "big birthday" on the Elation and I'd like to have beautiful, fresh, flowers in our cabin to warm up the apparently somewhat run-down space and reasonably priced champagne to toast the start of our trip and again to add some sparkle to the birthday celebration!

Also, my Carnival "PVP" asked about special occasions, so we've told her about the birthday - now I've seen comments about paying for a cake? How much are they charging me to celebrate? I don't even like cake... should I call Carnival back?

I just got off Conquest and personally carried-on 4 bottles of wine. There was no problem. I also checked a 6 pack of water, 6 pack of beer and 6 pack of coke in a regular suitcase. Again, no problem.

On the other hand, there was a woman trying to carry-on a cooler with close to 2 cases of soft-drinks and Carnival was going to charge her for them. We walked by her before we heard the resolution.

The amount is at the discretion of Carnival, so it might change from place to place, but buy some cheap bubbly and enjoy.

Technically, you are allowed to carry on one bottle of wine or champagne, and a "reasonable" amount of non-alcoholic beverages... what is reasonable to some may not be to them... it depends on who you get when you get there.

We got the cake for free last year, but I understand they have started charging for it... IMO, it was not good enough to pay for :(

On the other hand, there was a woman trying to carry-on a cooler with close to 2 cases of soft-drinks and Carnival was going to charge her for them. We walked by her before we heard the resolution.

That resolution would have been interesting to hear! I wonder how they would have charged her for something that she's already paid for. :o

I wouldnt take a rolling cooler onboard as carry on-- get it checked. A few months ago-- Carnival did away with bring soda and water on all tegether becuase of the amount sof people with the rolling coolers. (they are too big and hold up the line for processing.

Flowers?? I know you cant carry off flowers on the last day of your cruise.. if someone sent you flowers in your cabin...they must stay. but dont really know if there is a problem carrying them on from the first port.

Here is what Carny says about the whole topic...

A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behavior of others on board.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. Excessive quantities, to be determined at the discretion of security and/or the embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and retained by Carnival until the cruise is completed.

Ports-of-Call

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in any Port-of-Call will be confiscated at the gangway, stored on board and retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Ship Gift Shops

Alcoholic beverages of any kind purchased in the ship's gift shop will be stored on board and be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.

Drinking Alcohol On Board -

The minimum age for the purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages in the bars, lounges and gift shops is 21 years of age. Carnival reserves the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. In the event that Bar/Restaurant/Gift Shop Staff are in question that a guest is less than 21 years old, they shall request picture identification, prior to serving the drink or selling the bottle of liquor.

Just returned from the Conquest two weeks ago and thought I could help out. Beverages: We brought 3 bottles of champagne, rum, beer, and sodas in our checked luggage. No Problem! Be sure to wrap everything in bubble wrap or extra beach towels. Your luggage will we thrown and forklifted several times before arriving at your cabin.

Flowers: You can carry on flowers if you'd like to decorate your room. My fiance had flowers delivered to me on the ship and I carried them off w/ again NO Problem! I saw other ladies carrying theirs off also. Hope this helps! :)

I wouldnt take a rolling cooler onboard as carry on-- get it checked. A few months ago-- Carnival did away with bring soda and water on all tegether becuase of the amount sof people with the rolling coolers. (they are too big and hold up the line for processing.
Actually, I think the small, soft-sided rolling cooler the OP is talking about would be just fine. The ones I've seen look similar to a small piece of rolling luggage. My SIL used one to carry on water, wine, champagne and vodka (couldn't believe she got away with THAT, but she did) on the Glory in May. We also used a small soft-sided cooler to carry on our five bottles of champagne (2 were magnum size), but our cooler doesn't have wheels. Security at Port Canaveral (for that cruise, anyway) couldn't have cared less what was in those coolers. Their only question was do you have ice or water (that would leak out & ruin their machines) in those coolers?

Archived