Parents credit card

hlfdzn

My sons girlfriend is coming with on our cruise and rooming with my 27 yr old neice. We have all the necessary paperwork in order for her to sail without a parent, but she is wondering if she can use her Dad's credit card? I don't think she has one at her age ( 18) but since her dad won't be there to sign for the credit card isn't that a problem? I told her it would probably be easier for her to get her own, but we leave in 10 days now....we are down to the wire. Any suggestions? I really don't want her linked to my credit card if I can help it, since I have 5 of my own kids on there. My kids pay me in cash for whatever they charge, and I am sure she would too, but I would rather she get her own account. Thanks Melissa

My sons girlfriend is coming with on our cruise and rooming with my 27 yr old neice. We have all the necessary paperwork in order for her to sail without a parent, but she is wondering if she can use her Dad's credit card? I don't think she has one at her age ( 18) but since her dad won't be there to sign for the credit card isn't that a problem? I told her it would probably be easier for her to get her own, but we leave in 10 days now....we are down to the wire. Any suggestions? I really don't want her linked to my credit card if I can help it, since I have 5 of my own kids on there. My kids pay me in cash for whatever they charge, and I am sure she would too, but I would rather she get her own account. Thanks Melissa

Can you have her deposit cash into her own shipboard account....;)

She will have her own account. She will need $250.00 to put on the account as soon as she boards. She must go to the Purser's/Front Desk and put the money on her account. If she check the TV every night she will know how much she has left. She can go and fill it up at any time. This way she does not need a CC and she is not on yours. When you set up her Sign and Sail account put in cash for payment options. This is how I handled it for my daughter's wedding cruise in Oct.

She is not the 1st kid to want to use her parent's CC. Have her dad call his CC company to find out what they require for her to use it. There will be a proceedure in place. It may be as simple as adding her as a signatory to the account. He can then take her off when she gets home.

Tell her parents to go to AAA and get the Visa card they offer that can be loaded with cash. That way she has a card with cash on it.

Viv

Thanks for the replies. I am not sure we have time for her to get a card with HER name on it. I thought she had a debit card with her name on it, but now she says she is using her dad's credit card. Oh well..... We will work it out. Melissa

most cruise lines will not let anyone use a credit card with someone elses name on it unless they are with the person wanting to use it. also some cruise lines will not accept the aaa visa gift cards for the shipboard credit. they need a card that will make an imprint.

I would just either lay out the money for her and have her dad reimburse you when you get back or have the girlfriend bring cash with her.

In the end, it's not just what the credit card company says it's what the cruise line says. (eg, the vendor might say we don't take a credit card from someone else regardless of what the credit card company says), so if it was me I would keep this very simple. Either lay out the money or have her bring cash, because no matter what someone tells you now it will likely come down to other factors such as the pursers view of this on the ship and you just don't know what it will be.

Keith

Archived