Recommend Spiros in Athens

We were on the 6/26 Millennium and took private tours out of Villefranche, Naples and Athens. We had a great experience with Spiros in Athens on July 4th (http://*****, *****@yahoo.com). His Mercedes taxi was immaculate and we and another couple spent a great day both exploring Athens and traveling down the Sounian coast to the Temple of Poseiden. Having lived in the US for many years, his English is perfect and Spiros went out of his way to please all of us, stopping at shops to pick up both soccer (football) memorabilia and Olympic memorabilia (T-shirts, caps, etc.) that we all wanted to purchase. We started early off the ship, hit the Acropolis and its many views from around the city, hit other sites around the city including the once-be-week major changing of the guard, and then headed along the coast. Although hitting some traffic both coming and going, Spiros remained good spirited. All of us coming from congested areas were used to traffic and it didn't faze any of us. After our return from the coast we hit a few more stops in Athens and the Plaka. Spiros went out of his way at the end of the tour when he certainly didn't have to. My wife saw a gold bracelet in a store in the Plaka that she liked, but couldn't quickly make up her mind whether we should purchase it. By the time we returned to the ship she had regretted not making the purchase. Our friends got on the ship and Spiros good-naturedly offered to take us back to the Plaka, making sure we were treated fairly in the store, and then returned us back to the ship - a true gentleman, and in the vernacular a real "mensch." On our next cruise that stops in Athens we certainly will use him again for a trip to the Pelopennese area.

I'd like to echo Steveg's comments about Spiros. We were on the 6/9 Star Princess and also were a group of 4 who spent the day with Spiros. He was great. His driving was excellent, his English was perfect, his fee was fair (and much less than the ship excursions), and he made sure we got to see as much as possible (without rushing us) during our day in Athens. One of the people in our group had difficulty walking and Spiros made sure he took us to the most convenient places to walk. At the Acropulos, he got permission to drive the car as close as possible to the entry point in order to reduce walking.

All in all, Spiros really made our day in Athens. I highly recommend him to anyone.

Mary

We have booked him to take us to Cape Sounion a few days before our cruise. I am glad we have made the right choice in our guide. If anyone else will be in Athens on October 2nd and would like to join us, please let me know.

Jennie.

To answer some questions, his Mercedes sits three passengers in the back and one in the passenger seat next to the driver.

It took somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 hours to get to the Temple of Poseiden (I think), depending on traffic, not counting lunch. Weekdays are much less crowded than a Sunday when everyone in Athens wants to go to the beaches. Whereas we were able to "fly" around Athens because it was a Sunday, we "paid" for it in terms of the traffic we encountered along the coast, but as I said, the traffic didn't bother any of us.

I had hired Spiros but instead he sent Makos(an associate we were told). We truly enjoyed our day. He took us to a place for cappucino freddo when we were hot. He made good suggestions for our tour. We loved the changing of the guards! I stood next to a guard at the governor's palace. The marble stadium was wonderful. We pretended to be the flame (good photo op). The ventue are interesting and not ready! Good luck to Athens! Of course the Acropolis and many other areas of ruins were magnificent. We did hire guide at Acropolis to help explain...that was worhwhile. There is a charge to go to Acropolis.I would like to have shopped more for little souvenirs but there is so much to see. We ate at nice restaurant and family inside was having a great party celebrating a baptism. Before we knew it we were toasting, eating their homemade desserts, and dancing in a circle to Zorba the Greek. I always wanted to do that!!!! What fun! Could have stayed but the ship would have left us! So our compliments to Spiros and his associate!

He was truly great. Parked so close to the Acropolis I couldnt belive it. Trip to Cape Souroun was wonderful. He stopped at a beach for us to wade in the Med. and took us to a wonderful place to eat right on the water. We saw so much more than we did 4 years ago with a ship tour. We were a family of four and beat the ship tour price. Besides they did not offer a full day in Athens and Cape Souroun.

We thought we had booked with Spiros with whom we e-mailed corresponded and Makos showed up. But we were so happy with him.

Phil

Just got back from Athens and used Spiros last week. He was great. A real gentleman. One thing you need to think about is whether or not you want to see Sounion. It is very pretty and interesting but it takes a lot of time. We had been before and so told Spiros just to keep us in Athens. We saw Acropolis, Changing of the Guard, Byzantine Church, Olympic Stadiums, Archaeological Museum, lunch in the Plaka, Greek Forum, Roman Forum, etc. and had a marvelous time. I highly recommend Spiros and will use him again when we go back.

We definitely want to go to Sounion as we have been to Athens before and have seen all the major sites. I am hoping for a good sunset whilst we are there and are looking forward to meeting up with Spiros.

Jennie

Would anyone mind sharing how much the tour cost? I contacted Spiros regarding 2 people on his Athens tour and the cost is more than the ship's tour. Will it be cheaper if I find 2 more people to go? Thanks!

The trip to Sounion is about 1.5 hours. It's a long way, and if you haven't seen Athens before, you might be better off spending the time seeing the city. We had booked with Spiros months ahead, but he met us and assigned George to us when we got off the ship. George was great, so no problem there. We didn't anticipate the length of the trip to Sounion though, and thus missed seeing some of Athens. The hotel at Sounion where they take you for lunch is lovely. You are invited into the kitchen to see what they are fixing, and invited to make your selection there. One note of caution however, is that none of us bothered to ask the price, and just ordered. One of our tables ordered what turned out to be two very expensive whole fish, along with wine and dessert. They got a shock when the bill came. The rest of us ate for about $20/person.

Mike and Mary

Mike,

We have been to Athens before and stayed for 3 or 4 days last time so have seen all the sights but missed out on Cape Sounion, so hence the trip this time. We are staying pre-cruise and he is taking us sometime in the afternoon especially to see the sunset.

Jennie.

I agree with Cothou. If you have a spare day in Athens definitely try to get to Delphi. We went in 1995 and I still can remember how beautiful it was and how much history is tied up in this lovely site.

Jennie

AussieGal..

I totally understand about having to everything in place. I have most of my private tours booked for Oct. 2005. Just have to decide what to schedule in Venice. My husband thinks I'm nuts!! :D

Anne

Have Spiros booked for two days in Oct. So glad to hear all the good reports.first trip to Greece, Europe for that matter. Will be finishing off cruise on Prinsendam and have two days in Athens and want to pack in as much as possible.

ZSandy25,

I don't suppose you will be in Athens on 2nd October. We are boarding the Prinsendam on the 3rd and we would like to share Spiros with another couple to go to Cape Sounion. After typing this I realize that of course you would still be on board the ship, silly me.

Jennie

I would just to like to say one great thing about Spiros. I am very organized so we booked Spiros in October last year for this October!! :o :o :o

When I booked he replied in his email that he would reconfirm our booking in August this year. Today the confirmation came with all the details of where and what time he would be picking us up. I do appreciate efficiency and full marks go to Spiros. ;) ;)

Jennie

Archived