Dragon's Breath Pointe

I had never really looked for a Labadee Port of Call forum, but apparently since it is specific to RCI, I reckon we post our questions here since there doesn't seem to be one.

Anyone who has been to Dragon's Breath Pointe (or whatever it is that is close to being called by that name), was it worth going to? DH seems interested in seeing it, but I'm the kind of person who wants to get the most bang for our buck. I don't want to waste the time going there if it's not that interesting. It did look kind of interesting on the Freedom television special. What have your experiences been?

Hi,

I would not get off the ship in labadee, the locals are the most annoying people I have ever met in the Carribean, RCCL should really do somethuing about them. They pester you non stop and expect tips for everything, if you don't like the beach stay on the ship, that was my experience.

Dragon's Breath Point is an easy walk, there is a tram running as well but if you are mobile at all...an easy walk. It was interesting to see and hear, just a small natural phenomena.

I do have to disagree with swigso, Labadee is a wonderful beach stop. Some may find the straw market a little hectic but it is really no different than anywhere else. The Artisans market is much more laid back and definitely worth a visit. RCI's Labadee facility is nicely laid out and easy to get around, all in all a nice way to spend some time ashore, even if you are not beach people.

I hear those paintings are pretty spectacular in the markets though, so this might be a good trade. He gets to take me to Dragon's Breath Pointe, and I get to take him shopping. :D If they get too pushy, I reckon we'll make a hasty retreat, but I'd still like to attempt the market area. Perhaps that makes me a brave soul. :)

Dragon's Breath Point was pretty cool. It's a short walk from the tender drop off area, and it's very pretty there. We were not bothered by the locals at all - only when we entered the straw market. They are very pushy, but if you say no thank you and keep walking, they tend to let you be. Otherwise, we were left alone. Labadee is BEAUTIFUL, a wonderful relaxing beach day.

I hear those paintings are pretty spectacular in the markets though, so this might be a good trade. He gets to take me to Dragon's Breath Pointe, and I get to take him shopping. :D If they get too pushy, I reckon we'll make a hasty retreat, but I'd still like to attempt the market area. Perhaps that makes me a brave soul. :)

Don't forget the Artisans market, it is an indoor facility and just down the way from the outdoor market. Not pushy at all and some nice stuff....

Other than napping in the hammocks, Dragon's Breath Point is where we spent the most of our time. If you go out onto the rocks (depending on what time of day I suppose and how high the tide is) there are some little tide pools created on some of the rocks. There's also a very small beach area just to the left of the rocks (if you're facing Dragon's Breath Point) that there was really no one else at and was nice for just wading in to cool off. It looked like they were working on some construction for a new restaurant or bar just past that, but I'm not sure when that would be done. At the top of Dragon's Breath Point, you've got to check out the "breathing dragon". On the Freedom show with Samantha Brown, it showed a quick clip of it, but you really have to be there in person to see it. Might seem corny to some, but I thought it was really neat and so did my son (who is 14 and at that age where most things don't "impress" him.) I even used the video button on my digital camera to get a little clip of the "breathing dragon" just so I could bring it home to show my husband. Not something you see/hear everywhere.;)

When you get off the tenders, hang a left and keep walking. There are signs pointing the way and a little tram that you can ride, if you want. We just found the "road" - hard packed sand from the tram - and followed it down. Dragon's Breath Point should be on the right side.

• 6 months later...

That is quite a sophisticated structure! I zip-lined through the jungle canopy in the adjoining mountains of Puerto Vallarta a couple of years ago with my sister. Their system was safe, but very basic which included, of course, lots of walking up dug-out steps to reach the highest elevation. Yes it was a challenge for a 50+, but it was great. I can't wait to zip over the Caribbean on this new one! We may book the Mariner again just for that excursion.

Thanks for the great pictures and info!

Sealovers;)

Archived