Favorite Chinese Restaurant in Londons China Town?

We will be staying at the Crown Plaza. I have been to London before but I thought it might be fun to explore chinatown. I thought after visiting the area perhaps we would like to eat at a chinese restaurant in chinatown. I don`t think Londons chinatown is as large as our San Francisco but I would like to see it and eat there if there is any place that has good food there. I thought perhaps Dim Sum would be nice. Happy Sailing, Joy

The best place for dim sum in the vicinity is Yauatcha - map here.

I cannot offhand think of a single restaurant in Chinatown that I would recommend. There's a half decent one called Harbour City on Gerrard Street (near the Wardour Street end), but I wouldn't enthuse about it.

If you want a really good Chinese meal in town, then Hakkasan is the place to go - map here.

Otherwise, for a more conventional approach to a Chinese restaurant, I'd recommend any of the restaurants in the Royal China group. Some are not that difficult to reach from central London.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm puzzled as to why anyone would say not go to ChinaTown in London. A lot of Chinese people do.

Simple rule. Go early and only go to places full of Chinese. My two favourite restaurants are:

http://www.laureaterestaurant.co.uk/

and

http://www.imperial-china.co.uk/

I've been to both in the last few days and food is first class and the experience even better.

Jeff

No problem and enjoy your trip. We are London'ers born and bred who have moved out to the provinces now but return and stay in London and a key part is eating at China Town. It saves a flight to Hong Kong ......

I was at Laureate on Saturday and at around 12:00 it was full and we snuck in and then there were queues. All were Chinese except us and one other table. The dim sum is wonderful. It's worthwhile waiting a few minutes for a table.

Imperial China is an unbelievable find and they have formed a Chinese garden in a void behind two rows of buildings. Both are used extensively by Chinese. I have already booked my table for Chinese New Year in a couple of weeks.

Of course China Town is visited by tourists, so is everywhere, but like everywhere if you know where to look and follow those that seem to know you'll always find a gem. The other great thing is that this is a true China Town with a community that expects their fresh ingredients daily .....

Enjoy.

Jeff

Jeff,

Imperial China is used by the Chinese Embassy when entertaining Chinese "Top Brass" when in London

You must try the Royal China Club on Baker Street which is a gourmet experience,but not to be confused with the Royal China which is also in Baker street, it is under the same ownership and still good.You can choose your lobster and turbot from the tank.

Lots,

Lovely to see a post from you - I wonder how long it will be before the thought police ......

Oddly some friends on FTalk were discussing Royal China Club and I've planned to try it on our next jaunt up. I read that the Chef won last years masterchef.

Thanks for the reminder.

Jeff

Archived