Airplane/Alcohol question

playfulgen76

With the 3 oz liquid restriction, does that mean we can not have wine in our luggage? Can we pack it from home, or do we have to buy it when we get to Miami?

I would hate to pack a couple of bottles of wine and have it taken away.:(

Thanks in advance for this lame-o question!! LOL

Yep, you cannot take any wine, liquor, etc in your carry-on bags on the plane before OR after your cruise (or any trip). Just remember that when finding those great liquor deals in the Caribbean...they must be packed in checked bags.

You can bring it with you in your checked luggage, just not in your carry-ons.

The liquids/gels/lotion rule for carry-ons is this: 1 quart size ziploc bag per person, can be filled with bottles of liquid/gels/lotions of 3oz size or less. I have learned that you cannot bring a half-full 6oz bottle or something of that sort...the actual container must be 3oz or less. You can pack whatever you like in your checked bags.

With the 3 oz liquid restriction, does that mean we can not have wine in our luggage? Can we pack it from home, or do we have to buy it when we get to Miami?

Never taken wine but have taken a bottle of Baileys and Kaluha .. just wrapped it up in a towel placed in between the clothes in checked luggage.. or if your SO has a size 14 shoe you can put the bottle in there.. did that too:D :p

you can check with the airport you are flying from. Some have liquor stores that have purchases sealed and okayed to go aboard as carry on. We were able to purchase and carry on liquors for and from our last cruise directly at the airport....Usually not wine though, sorry.

Son works in Orlando and they will sieze any liquid over 3oz. As he would put it yes water is a liquid. Pack you liquior in your checked luggage. Don't take the chance you will loose it.

As far as buying a sealed bottle at the airport I don't think that will matter they will take that too.

burnsie

they will not seize airport alcohol if your airport has the new sealed bags made purposely to allow it as a carryon. Some airports have began to notice the lost revenue and have started this.

I dropped my spouse off Thursday and she was not allowed to bring any liquids in containers larger than 3 oz. through security. She was allowed to bring anything she bought air side onto the plane.

Are you saying that at some airports you are allowed to bring non-conforming items through security? Or are you talking about items purchased air side? I would be very interested to know which airports are allowing these items through security as I cannot find anything on the web.

it is my understanding that anything purchased AFTER the security checkpoint is now allowed onboard the airplane...bottled water and pop for instance....

in San Juan, they have a liquor store AFTER the check point and so they allow this onboard-they will pack it up for you-seal it with a zip tie and you can't open it until you are home but at least it enabled us to take home some rum at very cheap prices!!! :)

marsha

yes, i mean things bought at the airport once through security in their shops. Like the duty-free shops at our airport...it is past security and they have special bags that they seal your alcohol in.

I would imagine it will only be big airports, with international flights or big airside areas.

but it made it very nice. i didn't have to pack anything or worry about it breaking.

My DW is a flight attendant and any liquid can be bought in the airport after security. The one caution is if you would have a connection that would cause you to change concourses as in Dulles you would have to go through security again and the same 3 oz rule applies and it would then be confiscated.

We were given a gift of wine and champagne to take with us on our cruise in Feb. we have to fly to Florida , I am not to concerned about the wine as it is not carbonated but will the champagne survive being put in checked luggage or will it explode?:eek:

Thanks Ann

P.S. My Husband really wants to bring the Champagne to enjoy on his birthday!!!!!

You could cosider purchasing one of (click on the link) these!

9257.jpg

This way, you can check in the box along with your luggage. Just an idea!

Archived