Waterfalls Not to Miss??

pholter

I know that the Island boasts many waterfalls and I love them.... Are there

any that you would suggest I just cant miss? I was thinking about Trafalgar Falls and a visit to Emerald Pool with a stop at the fruit stand, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Holter you'll like both Trafalgar and Emerald, take the extra walk past the viewing platform right to the base of Trafalgar. There are other falls but most take a long time to drive and walk in to. Also, Trafalgar is a double falls, several hundred yards apart, so you could walk to both if you wanted to.

• 1 month later...

Dominica has dozens of falls! The trouble is, the easiest to get to are often over-overwhelmed when there's a cruise ship in; ask for Spanny's Falls, or Middleham - two really good falls that are easy to get to but a bit off the beaten track, and well worth it!

Although there are many scenic falls on Dominica, for the adventurous, an excursion that includes Titou Gorge is unique and very memorable.

The gorge is an extremely narrow (about 8-12 foot wide) box cleft cut by a stream into a rain forest mountain near the trailhead to the long hike up to boiling lake. You wade or swim maybe 100 yards into the mountain - a narrow fern and tree shaded slot peeks out above you - where you reach a wider deep pool with a waterfall that plunges about 20 feet into it. The locals like to climb part way up the ledges to jump into the pool. Its sort of like swimming into a mountain cave to a water fall. I consider it a unique highlight excursion. The water is cold; a little streamlet from the volcanic lake sector though comes off rocks at the entrance and makes for a nice warm up shower at the end.

Although not an absolute necessity, water shoes might be recommended because the shallow entry area into the gorge make for slippery footing.

Near the parking area for the gorge, locals offer up some extraordinarily good citrus on the cheap.

How does one get to the Titou Gorge? How long is the trip and is it safe?

You get there by motor vehicle (I went with Wacky Rollers - a 4wheel? passenger modified flat bed excursion) For a non-local, it might be tough to find. It is "up in" the hills at the base of the mountains adjacent a small government fresh water piping installation. Dominica exports its oceanic rainforest run-off to arid island neighbors (Aruba ect.) Wacky roolers did Titou as part of a half day excursion around Roseau to the national botanical-bird park, Trafalger Falls, Lalou Valley up to Titou. I did a Champagne Reef excursion in the morning. Both were ship based - so a bit premium priced - but 'tween the two one of my VERY best days in the islands.

I thought Dominica was terrific; its somewhat poor, so the local peddlers can be "assertive" but less so than St. Lucia. It is one of the least densely populated islands so - despite organic poverty - I felt no sense of urban slum and social ills. The wonderfully cute Wacky Roller guide Kendra acknowledged that a couple of road side "hay! ho!"s by locals in route to Titou were Ganja peddlers... Ah! College Daze! We didn't stop, but I never felt situation threatened anywhere...

Archived