Cruising with RCI (NOT RCCL) Timeshare?

In the Pink

I'm looking into possibly buying a timeshare but am still very confused by it all. With this company (RCI, which has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean), you can use points for your timeshare and trade in for a cruise instead of a land based vacation. Does anybody own one of these timeshares that can say whether or not it's been a good deal?

Thanks.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=279671&highlight=timeshare

Here you will find comments about timeshares and trading them. If you put in timeshare under the search on the particular thread you will find lots of comments.

We have a timeshare and we use it a lot and really like. Every time I have inquired exchanging our timeshare towards a cruise, we were ahead purchasing the cruise out right and using the week at another time. You just don't get enough exchange value.

hello- we have a rci timeshare for about 3 years now. it has been okay, except all the places we want to go are tied up. you have to exchange really early. we are working on vacation for 2008 right now! and nothing has come up-

we did purchase this cruise through rci and have been pretty pleased. the customer service with rci is outstanding, and the resorts are pretty nice. there are just more places we would like to go where they dont have resorts, plus some are really far away from everything.

:o ;)

I'm looking into possibly buying a timeshare but am still very confused by it all. With this company (RCI, which has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean), you can use points for your timeshare and trade in for a cruise instead of a land based vacation. Does anybody own one of these timeshares that can say whether or not it's been a good deal?

Thanks.

Try TUG(timeshare Users Group). Great site for anyone doing research or wanting to exchange opinions. Then form your own opinion if it is right for you.

Try TUG(timeshare Users Group). Great site for anyone doing research or wanting to exchange opinions. Then form your own opinion if it is right for you.

Thanks, Traveler.... I've had that site up on my PC for a couple of days now, along with others, but at this point I'm still too ignorant of the industry to even know what they are talking about! But I know it just takes time.

Thanks.

Time shares have a lot to offer, more than many realize. Trading for a cruise isn't one of them: yes, you can, but it really isn't worth it. NMnita

yes we have a red week, and we bought into the vacation village at orlando-they said it was a popular spot and we would get lots of trades- well it is harder than we realized- we are welcome to email me at darlaw@earthlink.net and we can discuss some of this further-

i just want people to be aware more than we were- also you need to add in the main fees- they have been getting higher the last three years!:confused:

Thanks, Traveler.... I've had that site up on my PC for a couple of days now, along with others, but at this point I'm still too ignorant of the industry to even know what they are talking about! But I know it just takes time.

Hi ITP- We have 3 red weeks and found that you have to use RCI's travel agent for air and/or cruise so that knocks our Travel Agent right out of the box:( . Other ccer's may correct me ITHO(in their humble opinion)but this was my experience when I contacted RCI very recently. No bargain there.:eek: Stick with your TA and run any "bargains" (timeshare or otherwise) by he or she to confirm and then make your decision. Kinda like in real estate let your agent help you. We represent no one, just have fun learning and cruising.:) Great question:cool: hope this helps. Keep in touch, Paul & Trudi

Time shares have a lot to offer, more than many realize. Trading for a cruise isn't one of them: yes, you can, but it really isn't worth it. NMnita

I am also a long time RCI member and I don't want to start any arguments here, please. However, I recently booked our 1st cruise through a TA, after I checked with RCI. With RCI, if I used 20,000 of my points the cost of the cruise was discounted and the total price was only $80.00 'higher' than with the TA.

I like RCI for timeshare travels but it isn't worth a darn for cruise bookings. (IMO) Save your RCI points for exchanges.

Mike S.

P.S. Like lovetexas, if you want to email me at: michaelsmalley@sbcglobal.net I'll be glad to help you what I can with timeshares. It is very confusing but TUG is an excellent place to start. Just DON'T get in a hurry to buy.

Hello I have been an RCi member for a few years myself. We too find it extremely difficult to get into places we want to go too. We are points as well as weeks members. We deposited our weeks 2 years ago, you know early like they tell you too. Well we could not get into anywhere but the Dominican Republic (Pueto Plata) or all over Mexico. The places we would have booked into a person could not afford as the all inclusive fees were outrageous!! Personally I like the points vs the weeks. We used our points to fly out for our upcoming cruise. I booked our hotel at one of our timeshare hotels and payed alot less than the other people who do not own a timeshare with RCI. I guess it has some good with some bad.

Wanted to go to Tahiti but you get put on a waiting list for 5 years..thats a crock and they do NOT tell you this when you sign up either. If you have any questions feel free to email me at cupie00@hotmail.com

Hi ITP- We have 3 red weeks and found that you have to use RCI's travel agent for air and/or cruise so that knocks our Travel Agent right out of the box:( . Other ccer's may correct me ITHO(in their humble opinion)but this was my experience when I contacted RCI very recently. No bargain there.:eek: Stick with your TA and run any "bargains" (timeshare or otherwise) by he or she to confirm and then make your decision. Kinda like in real estate let your agent help you. We represent no one, just have fun learning and cruising.:) Great question:cool: hope this helps. Keep in touch, Paul & Trudi

Thanks, Paul.... it does seem that the greater majority do believe that trading for a cruise doesn't make any sense economically.

Timeshares in general almost never make economical sense in the long run. I have read that something like 97% of people are unhappy with thier timeshares. Please do lots of research before buying into a timeshare, esp (as some have already pointed out) it's often difficult to trade etc. You might want to take a look at this site as well: http://timesharetrap.blogspot.com/

Archived