What if I have to cancel

Gma&Gpa

We are getting ready to book a cruise for the summer of 2008, and will probably book directly with Carnival. If we book the cruise and then have to cancel or change it (our timeframe is pretty limited due to teaching and other activities) - what is the cancellation policy? I was thinking I had read that as long as you were outside the 70 day window and had not paid it in full, you could get a refund of nearly all of the $$. Is this the case?

I would really like to get our booking set for ourselves and our daugher and son-in-law, but they are still not sure if they'll be able to make it. But I always feel better once I know my trip is booked. Any experience with this?

You may also wish to purchase "cancel for any reason insurance" which would let you get back about 75% of the fair up to the last day.

One drawback to the "cancel for any reason insurance" policies is that they require you to cancel your trip no later than 2 calendar days before your departure date.

I hope this helps.

You will get your entire deposit back if you cancel before final payment (that is Carnival's policy). You don't need insurance for that kind of protection. However, I would encourage you to take out add'l travel insurance. Don't get it through the cruiseline, though. You can get it less expensive and with better coverage through http://www.insuremytrip.com. We like Travelex Travel Lite Policy. Kids under 16 are free and it's very reasonably priced. It will cover medical issues that arise during your vacation, as well as cancellation if you have to cancel at the last minute. Just keep in mind that if your cancellation is due to death or illness of a family member, traveling companion, business partner, etc., and that death or illness was related to a pre-existing condition, you will not be covered unless you purchase the insurance within 21 days of putting down your initial cruise deposit (that's Travelex's policy, some are 7-14 days within trip deposit). When you consider the cost of a family vacation, the cost for the insurance is relatively inexpenisive. My brother and SIL are taking their 3 children on a cruise that, with air, precruise hotel, cruise fare, etc., is running them about $5,000. The travel insurance through Travelex is $129 total for the entire family. Well worth the peace of mind.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to warn all cruisers reading this to be VERY aware when buying travel insurance...you may not really know if you are completely covered. Talking with the salesperson, reading and understanding the policy is only part of the equation. Keep in mind there is someone, typically on a fat commission, that is trying to sell you the policy and someone being paid to review your claim and do their best to not give away company money. It's beginning to be as much of a gamble with insurance as it is without! So do a lot of homework if you decide buy insurance.

My wife and I were recently denied an $8,000.00 claim by Travel Guard. We currently have an attorney willing to work on contingency to get our money back. We will never use Travel Guard again. Most cruisers don't have to use the insurance so they are not aware but our attorney told us litigation is common with travel insurers so...buyer beware!

Archived