San Diego-whale watching

mmsoko

Will be in SD in Feb and would like to do a whale watching tour. Know that the excursion boats do these but thought we'd like to be on a sailboat.

Anyone have experience with Ted WitchIII? Any other sailboat tours that you're aware of?

I would not recommend a sailing tour for whale watching. You can have a nice sail, or whale watch, but it is very difficult to do both. Whale sitings close to San Diego have decreased in numbers in recent years, so the power boat whale watching operators monitor each other's radios for sightings, then race to that location many times. Unless the sailboat is motoring, you won't get there in time.

I would recommend (if possible) doing a whale watching trip through either the Birch Aquarium of Scripps Institution of Oceanography, or the San Diego Natural History Museum. This will get you the best guides.

Other reputable companies include:

H&M Landing

Seaforth Landing also runs sailing whale watching trips if you really want to stick to that.

For something really different you could do a sea kayak whale watch. It is fantastic seeing them from a kayak!

If you would like to just go sailing, I can recommend both the weekend half day trips available on some of the former America's Cup boats through Next Level Sailing, or for Jan-Feb 2007 ONLY 1/2 day trips on the reproduction of the sailing ship America which is normally only available for private parties (available only by phone from Next Level). Sometimes the Californian offers public day trips as well.

You've changed my mind. Thought we'd have a more personal experience if we went on a smaller sailboat. Now I think we'll opt for the Hornblower/Natural History Museum tour. Just hoping it won't be tooo crowded.

Traveling w/17yo son. He'd like to try tandem paragliding at the Gliderport off Torrey Pines. Any thoughts on this?

I know a number of people who have done this. The programs at Torrey Pines have very strict safety standards. It is a gorgeous venue...even if you just go to watch the hangliders and parasailers. Not for me, but for a 17 year old boy it might be great. Not sure if they will take minor children even with a parent with them so you may need to check with them ahead of time on this.

http://www.flytorrey.com/students/tandems.php

Checked with the Gliderport and there are no age restrictions for the tandem flight. Of course the minor does need to have a parent sign the "forms". Wish I could get out of my comfort zone and go also but that's never going to happen:Z

Archived