Wine, Specialty Drink & Coffee Cards

Cruisin'Nurse

I'm hoping to get some info from those of you who have experience with the above mentioned cards. They seem like a great idea. I will be fine with the house wine, but I'm wondering what kind of specialty drinks are available on the card. :confused: Could I have my pre-dinner martini with a card? How about coffee? All of the fancy coffees okay? I understand that the coffees with alcohol would be off limits. It has been a while since I have cruised with HAL. What kind of prices are they charging for wine by the glass and pre-dinner libations?

Thanks in advance for any info that comes my way.

Karen

From what I was told, the Specialty Drink card applies to the drink of the day like Mojohito (?), lemon drop, etc. You do not get to order a drink of your choice.

The coffee card is for the plain coffees -- mostly at the Explorations Cafe.

You are right -- house wine.

We use to pay $4.75 for a Stoli's on the rocks - on our last cruise it went up to $5.25. Hope that gives you an idea of how prices have gone up.

From what I was told, the Specialty Drink card applies to the drink of the day like Mojohito (?), lemon drop, etc. You do not get to order a drink of your choice.

We use to pay $4.75 for a Stoli's on the rocks - on our last cruise it went up to $5.25. Hope that gives you an idea of how prices have gone up.

They have cards for "house wine"? If so, what is the price?

The house wine card is $41.40 for 10 pourings or 77.63 for 20

The soda Card is 20.70 for 20 sodas

The signature cocktail card is good for 10 cocktails at $64.69

I called guest services and they said they were good for any signature cocktail, although they couldn't really describe what that term meant. Given that the cards are $65 for ten signature cocktails, it has to be for more than just the drink of the day.

On a recent cruise on the Maasdam, two members of our Cruise Critic group had bought the wine card, when they tried to use them in the bars aboard, they were told that the card was for use in the restuarant only.

We had a get-together with cookies and tea provided by the ship (coordinated through Seattle) and a member of the crew attended. This happened to be the Wine Steward.The members asked him about the card as it was their understanding that it could be used anywhere on the ship.

He concurred and advised them if they had further difficulty using the card to have the bartenders to contact him immediately.

Thanks for everyone's replies - I appreciate them. I agree that, at $65 for 10 drinks, one should be able to order something other than the drink of the day. :eek: Do you think that the coffee card is just for a cup of coffee - or could one get an expresso or a latte?

I've got lots of time before my cruise (unfortunately) - so I'm sure I can find out more info before it's time to buy the card. :D

Now all I have to do is find some fellow cruisers - there are only 2 of us on the board for our specific cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from the 1/20 OOsterdam and used our coffee card at the windstar cafe for any, and all of the coffee drinks offered there as well as any smoothie offered....we got caffe mochas in the am and fruit smoothies in the afternoons...it was a great deal as the smoothies are 3.85 each...also pastries or cupcakes included....we brought our own wine and the wine steward kept all the bottles for us and chilled the white wine....each night we just asked for our selection....he only charged us the $15 corking fee the first night and we had wine with every dinner....the way to go!

We're just back from Westerdam. The coffee card is a good deal as it covers any specialty coffees, including adding extra shots of espresso or flavours.

The signature cocktails are all $6.25 so I still don't know why they are selling the card for the price they are.

We swiped a cocktail menu so I will scan it in and post it in the coming days.

The house wine card is $41.40 for 10 pourings or 77.63 for 20

The soda Card is 20.70 for 20 sodas

The signature cocktail card is good for 10 cocktails at $64.69

I thought the drinks are included in the cruise price. Why do you have to purchase drink cards?

Drinks are not included on most mass market lines. You would have to sail a premium line for that.

The only drinks generally included on mass market lines are coffe, tea, iced tea and milk. At breakfast, most fruit juices are included.

HAL is considered a premium cruiseline by some but that reference concerns small flourishes like fresh flowers in public spaces, not free drinks.

In the dining room, if you want wine, cocktails, soda or juice, you will have to pay (with the exception of juice at breakfast). You can elect to carry on wine of your own but they reserve the right to charge you a $35/bottle corkage fee. There is no need to order your drinks before the cruise. The cards being discussed here are meant to be a way for people to save a discount by pre-arranging.

HAL is considered a premium cruiseline by some but that reference concerns small flourishes like fresh flowers in public spaces, not free drinks.

In the dining room, if you want wine, cocktails, soda or juice, you will have to pay (with the exception of juice at breakfast). You can elect to carry on wine of your own but they reserve the right to charge you a $35/bottle corkage fee. There is no need to order your drinks before the cruise. The cards being discussed here are meant to be a way for people to save a discount by pre-arranging.

:eek: A $35/bottle corkage fee!!! I thought that it was $15/bottle corkage fee?

I'm hoping to get some info from those of you who have experience with the above mentioned cards. They seem like a great idea. I will be fine with the house wine' date=' but I'm wondering what kind of specialty drinks are available on the card. :confused: Could I have my pre-dinner martini with a card? How about coffee? All of the fancy coffees okay? I understand that the coffees with alcohol would be off limits. It has been a while since I have cruised with HAL. What kind of prices are they charging for wine by the glass and pre-dinner libations?

Thanks in advance for any info that comes my way.

Karen[/quote']

Can these be bought on-line beforehand, or do you buy them once on board? :confused:

I thought HAL was considered premium.

So you need to order for drinks during dinner?

If I'm understanding your question... you give them a credit card number when you check in to purchase "incidentals" - stuff from the gift shop, bingo cards and yes, drinks that aren't included which would include specialty drinks like espresso, cocktails, wine, etc. You can prepay by buying one of the cards mentioned. Drinks from the bar would normally have an additional 15% tip tacked on so if you pre-buy on a card you seem to get a little bit of a discount. You're not required to buy the cards upfront to pay for your drinks on board. I think that's what you were asking?

Archived