Hotels

Britters

Agree with everyone on your assessment of Hampton vs. Best Western. Another thing to keep in mind are the dates you're looking to book. The night I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation the rates were very reasonable. If there's a special event or lots of meetings and conventions in town that week, someone may not get the same rate.

I don't like being "scolded" because I made a suggestion based on my own experience.

Roz

:)

Sparkly - just be aware that other than the hotel restaurant or that at the Sheraton across the street, there is no place to eat within walking distance of the Wyndham. We stayed there in August and it was ok for the price. Nothing special.

I agree w/ gizmo - in most cases there is no comaprison between a hampton and a best western. Haven't stayed at that particular best western, but we pretty much wrote that chain off years ago as there is FAR too much variance in quality (usually on the negative side) among best western properties. Hamptons on the other hand, tend to be pretty uniform in quality, some above average, but certainly not the surprises that one is prone to find at a best western.

:) Hi michmike:

MY DW & I have stayed at (and will continue) to stay at Best Western Fort Lauderdale Inn whenever we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale! We have NEVER had ANY concern with anything, at this hotel, including the beds, whenever we have stayed prior to our cruise!

I am in the same camp with a couple of other posters, we just don't do Best Western's anymore. They are too inconsistent.

According to one poster who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and posts on the East Coast Departure board, the area that the Best Western is in is not so good.

The best thing to do is decide how much you want to spend for a hotel. There are many nice ones on 17th street. You can walk around in this area and there are plenty of places to eat.

There are some good recommendations from other posters like checking the East Coast Departures board on this site.

I have been searching everywhere for Fort Lauderdale hotel suggestions and can't seem to find any...anyone out there who can help?

We usually stay at Pier 66 to kick off our cruise, but need to economize this coming trip since we're taking my Sister and her family...so we booked pre and post cruise at the Ramada Fort Lauderdale Airport/Cruise Port for $139/night. Includes breakfast and shuttle to the port. We're going over the Easter Holiday and had a difficult time finding good rates and available rooms. Motel is near the port, and I've been comfortable at Ramadas for short stays in the past. Will post a review of the motel upon return for others...but I'd give it a shot.

I am in the same camp with a couple of other posters, we just don't do Best Western's anymore. They are too inconsistent.

According to one poster who lives in Ft. Lauderdale, and posts on the East Coast Departure board, the area that the Best Western is in is not so good.

The best thing to do is decide how much you want to spend for a hotel. There are many nice ones on 17th street. You can walk around in this area and there are plenty of places to eat.

There are some good recommendations from other posters like checking the East Coast Departures board on this site.

:) We have never had a concern staying at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Inn! Clean, quiet, complimentary continental breakfast, airport/cruiseport shuttle, all for $119! What else would you want for an overnight stay pre/post cruise?

If you have the time to see the exhibit at the Civic Center, "Bibical Antiquities," or similiar, go to the Riverside web site and check out the fantastic deal. We get in too late the night before our cruise to use that option, but we are staying there anyway. Should be a wonderful experience. Good reviews on CC and Tripadvisor.

Blessings,

Gail

:) We have never had a concern staying at the Best Western Fort Lauderdale Inn! Clean, quiet, complimentary continental breakfast, airport/cruiseport shuttle, all for $119! What else would you want for an overnight stay pre/post cruise?

What else ? There are lots of things. People are different and have different needs and requirements.

Here are a couple examples.

Some people want a full service hotel. They want a full blown restaurant and a bar.

Some want to be near the ocean.

Some want to be in an area that they can walk around at night and have access to a selection of restaurants.

Some want to be able to use the water taxi in Ft. Lauderdale.

Some want to be near a mall to shop.

One hotel can be fine for one person, but horrible for another.

Cost is another factor. What is costly to one may not be to another. Some people are willing to pay more than others.

Some people could care less about ammentities or location.

Avoid any property on SR 84 if at all possible. It's not the "nicest" part of Ft Lauderdale so to speak

I got this from the East Coast Departure board. The person who posted it lives in Ft. Lauderdale. I am not saying this is a bad hotel nor is the poster, but I think the OP should have more information than just it is clean, quite , etc. The area the hotel is in and what is in the area can be important for some.

Agree with everyone on your assessment of Hampton vs. Best Western. Another thing to keep in mind are the dates you're looking to book. The night I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Plantation the rates were very reasonable. If there's a special event or lots of meetings and conventions in town that week, someone may not get the same rate.

I don't like being "scolded" because I made a suggestion based on my own experience.

Roz

Roz you are so right. Dates mean a lot. Prices vary and what a hotel is charging one week, might be much less costly than the following week.

Archived