Tendering in Alaska

lucia1024

Hi

This is my first cruise to AK. I will be taking the NCL Pearl in May. I will be stopping in Ketchikan, Skagway & Juneau. Do you have to take a tender in any of these ports? If so, how was the experience of taking them? Were there long lines? Were there enough tenders to accomodate all of the passengers? I am trying to figure out how much time I would need for some of the excursions that I am trying to schedule.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks

Hi, I am taking my first Alaskan cruise in May on the Pearl too !!! I cannot wait. I will be on May 27, when is yours.

I do not think that you have to tender into any of the ports. Not possitive but I am pretty sure !!!

What shore excursions are you planning to do at each place? I cannot wait. It should be a lot of fun and so beautiful.

we were on the NCL star last sept, same route you will be taking. we did not tenter once. it would depend on how many ships are in port and how much room is left on the docks. in juneau we docked after the NCL sun left. just pulled right in behind them as they pulled out. i don't have it, but there is a website that shows how many ships are in port on a given day and which dock and who tenders. most tour operators will know you schedule before you do, just tell them what ship and what dates and they can tell you if you will make the time:D .

I've taken the same NCL routing the last 2 years, also in May and did not tender. Wait for the schedules to come out for this year. I'm also on the Pearl in May. Just had a rate reduction about a month ago. :)

Hi Travel Lover

I also can't wait until May 27th. I have been planning this for the last nine months. I haven't scheduled anything yet, but looking to do a helicopter flight in Juneau, float plane to Misty Fjord in Ketchikan and White Pass train in Skagway. I think this will be a trip of a lifetime, so I want to make sure that I don't miss anything. Do you have any excursions planned? This Board has been a great source of knowledge. All the cc members are great! I hope we all have a great trip!

Hi Budget Queen

When you said you got price reductions, do you mean a reservation directly booked through NCL? I booked with an on-line co. and keep checking every day for price reductions without success. In fact, my trip has gone up $100 in price. I would really appreciate if you can share any tricks to finding out how to get a price reduction.

Thanks to you both for responding.

So far what we are planning to do is just walk around and shop in Ketchikan and maybe do something on our own there.

In Skagway we are going to rent a car and drive up to Emerald Lake in the Yukon. Then in Juneau I am thinking about doing the Mendenhal Glacier and whale watching I guess thru NCL maybe... and in Victoria maybe do Orca whale watching I guess thru NCL too.... I guess any of that can change but that is the plan so far.

I cannot wait !!!

we were on the NCL star last sept, same route you will be taking. we did not tenter once. it would depend on how many ships are in port and how much room is left on the docks. in juneau we docked after the NCL sun left. just pulled right in behind them as they pulled out. i don't have it, but there is a website that shows how many ships are in port on a given day and which dock and who tenders. most tour operators will know you schedule before you do, just tell them what ship and what dates and they can tell you if you will make the time:D .

Last year the Sun was late in leaving Juneau so the Star had to wait out in the harbor until that berth became available.

The Star did some tendering of "suite" passengers and those with early NCL excursions while waiting for the Sun to leave. It was 3:00 before we finally docked and were able to get off the ship.

Then it was a big mess because everyone onboard wanted off the ship at the same time--long lines of people trying to get off and long lines of people trying to get the shuttle into town.

Archived