2008 NY sailings???

KerCar

The Pearl wold be awesome.

I have sailed 5 times on Carnival and do not necessarily have an aversion to them. But I don't get them charging more money, that's for sure. Ands mainly, because we are goign to be a group with lots of kids, I LOVE the freestyle of NCL.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Snowrose- I hope you are right and both the Gem and Pearl will be sailing out of New York. That would give New York area cruisers a lot of options.

I'll disagree. Both of NCL's newest ships sailing from New York is one too many. NCL should station it's newest ships in as many areas it sails from on a regular basis. I wouldn't object if the Gem had the Dawn return to New York instead of the Spirit as NCL needs to free up it's slightly smaller ships for sailing from other home ports which host it's smallest and oldest ships today, and that means the Sun and Spirit are needed elsewhere, not in New York or Miami. Eventually, they will need a newer ship than the Star in Los Angeles too. Why should New York only support the newest ships? Why should New Yorker be the only ones getting tired of the same old ship? There are other cruise markets that warrant the newest ships too. Even New Yorkers will book cruises to Hawaii, Alaska, Europe, Southern and Western Caribbean, just for a change of pace from the routine Florida, Bermuda, and Bahamas cruises.

As it is, NCL has spread the last four new Panamax sized ships around fairly equally, the first to Europe during the Summer and Miami in winter, the second to Hawaii year round, the third to Alaska during the Summer and Miami in winter, and the fourth to New York year round. I thought it was a mistake to have two of the newest ships, the Jewel and Pearl in Miami this winter. I thought one of them should have been sailing from Los Angeles.

As it is, NCL eventually, when the new F3 class arrives, will have to decide where the older Panamax sized ships, the Dawn and Star, will sail from. I'm not sure Boston, Charleston, New Orleans, Vancouver, and Houston/Galveston markets can support the older Panamax sized ships without NCL spending a small fortune in advertisements. My best guess is Vancouver and New Orleans will be the best bets to do so, since they are already supporting the mega sized ships Sun and Spirit.

Yes, having both the Pearl and Gem sailing from New York would be great for New Yorkers, but will hurt NCL too much in the other major markets. Wait until the new F3 class ships come, who really thinks NCL will home port both of them in Miami, or both in New York? When they arrive, NCL will have to place two of the newest Panamax sized ships somehere.

I'll disagree. Both of NCL's newest ships sailing from New York is one too many. NCL should station it's newest ships in as many areas it sails from on a regular basis. .

I'll diagree - NCL should position there ships where they can make the most money. If that is two of the newest ships in NYC to do it so be it. I would be surprised if they did but placing a ship where it generates less $ per passenger just to spread things out makes no sense.

I hope your right about the Gem and Pearl.I have some people at work that do the 10/11 day cruises on the Dawn in March and April,who are pissed that the Gem isn't offering anything for a 10 day past Feb.These are people who have done NCL year in and year out who are looking at other cruise lines.I hope something changes.

I hope your right about the Gem and Pearl.I have some people at work that do the 10/11 day cruises on the Dawn in March and April,who are pissed that the Gem isn't offering anything for a 10 day past Feb.These are people who have done NCL year in and year out who are looking at other cruise lines.I hope something changes.

I agree with this too. I can't sail in the winter anymore, it has to be March or later and I don't care for the 7 dyas itinerary out of NYC.

I'm waiting for a 10/11 day in the Spring too.

I would think that during the summer of 2008 that the Pearl and the Star would return to Alaska, the Jewel to the Mediterrean, the Pride of Hawaii in Hawaii, leaving only possibly the Dawn of the Star class ships for New York. With the Sun more than likely returning to Alaska, the Spirit could also return to New York but there a Baltic venue is calling too.

With the Wind and Crown departing the fleet, with the possibility of the Dream leaving too, that leaves only the Majesty left. Whether the Majesty will continue to do Bermuda from Boston or New York is another question. Will NCL move the Majesty to New York or leave it in Boston?

One thing is for certain. the Pride ships will continue to do Hawaiian itineraries, the Pride of Aloha, Pride of Amererica, and Pride of Hawaii.

in nov 2007 gem will be in nyc. the ship goes to port canaveral, keys nassua and private island.
That's fine if you want a 7 day Florida cruise.I want a 10/11 day e. or w.carib.If i want to go to florida i can fly southwest for $69 r/t.I'm doing a 8 day e.carib with bermuda on the Spirit in May which is the absolute perfect time in my opinion.I don't get that much Vacation time a year,so to lose 1 to 2 days(due to cold weather) down and back going in Jan or Feb just doesn't work for me.Like i said i hope things change.

I believe fare prices vary with supply and demand. During the summer, there is more demand everywhere, but the supply of ships sailing from New York increases too.

Competitive fare prices?

2007 July sailings of NCL's Freestyle fleet:

July 21 Star 7 day Alaska $899

July 21 Dawn 7 day Bahamas $929

July 21 Spirit 8 day Bermuda/Caribbean $1049

July 21 Pride of America 7 day Hawaii $1199

July 22 Sun 7 day Alaska $899

July 22 Jewel Mediterranean $999

July 22 Pearl 7 day Alaska $1099

Ju;y 22 Pride of Aloha 7 day Hawaii $1099

July 23 Pride of Hawaii 7 day Hawaii $1199

Only the Star and Sun have cheaper fares (just $30) than the Dawn sailing from New York with 7 day cruises, and note the Spirit is sailing an 8 day cruise. Therefore, I don't see the mystical higher fares sailing from New York on this weekend. I believe you are suggesting a myth.

In all fairness, comparing Bahama and Eastern Caribbean sailings to Hawaii, Med, and Alaska sailings is like comparing apples and oranges! In my original post, I noted that I couldn't speak for NCL, but based on my knowledge of other lines that leave from NY, Florida and San Juan sailings tend to be less expensive. For example:

Carnival sailings for the weekend of July 22, 2007:

7 Day Western Caribbean from $739 Tampa (105/day)

7 Day Southern Caribbean from $779 San Juan (111/day)

***8 Day Eastern Caribbean from $1,029 NY***(128/day)

7 Day Eastern Caribbean from $649 Pt Canaveral(92/day)

8 Day Eastern Caribbean from $959 Fort Lauderdale(118/day)

7 Day Western Caribbean from $669 Miami(95/day)

7 Day Western Caribbean from $729 Miami(104/day)

7 Day Western Caribbean from $829 Texas(118/day)

I agree with ShoreGuy. For those of us who live in the NY area, sailing from NY is a great value. Not to mention avoiding the headache of having to fly with two children! But, if you take airfare out of the equation (many people still have to fly or drive a long distance to get to NY), in the above examples, sailing from NY is more expensive! Not sure how I was "suggesting a myth":)

Why are New Yorkers complaining about the same itineraries? There aren't much changes either out of Seattle, Los Angeles, Honolulu, Houston, New Orleans, Charleston, Philadelphia, and Boston either. Miami during the winter has the most ships, with 5,7, and 9 day itineraries.

Yes, during the cold months sailing out of New York its cold on the first and last sea day. However, its not the same during the warm months. Now you know why more ships are sailing out of Miami during the cold months.

NCL was the first lline three years ago to sail out of New York during the winter months. NCL added a second ship, the Spirt along with the Dawn, for the winter of 2005-6, and again this winter. Now that the other cruise lines have followed suite, it appears NCL thinks one ship is enough during the winter, the other lines easily adding more ships overall into the market.

The market can only support so many ships, especially during the winter.

For what it is worth, as of this moment in time, only the GEM will be going out of NY and the Pearl will remain/go to Alaska with the Star only. Yes, plans can and do change but that's the word from my PCC.

The real question is where do the Dawn/Spirit go summer 2008

The real question is where do the Dawn/Spirit go summer 2008

Sorry, I guess I didn't answer the question. I think (and I underline think) that the Spirit and one of the west coast older ships have been sold to the CEO of a watch company maybe ? The source would have been our Latitudes consultant. I should have paid more attention at the presentation but I was only interested in the NYC sailings. Sorry :( .

Sorry, I guess I didn't answer the question. I think (and I underline think) that the Spirit and one of the west coast older ships have been sold to the CEO of a watch company maybe ? The source would have been our Latitudes consultant. I should have paid more attention at the presentation but I was only interested in the NYC sailings. Sorry :( .

Hey tink

I don't believe the spirit is going anywhere soon. The Wind goes in April to Star. The Dream and Majesty to follow at later dates. What I was thinking is the Dawn or even the Spirit could return to NYC for the Summer/Fall 2008 season as a second ship.

With the Wind and Crown, and possibly the Dream gone by the summer of 2008, the Gem cannot replace all of them. And there is no telling when the Majesty will be gone.

I suspect the Pearl, Star, and Sun will do Alaska again. With NCL still getting twice as much revenue in Alaska, I do not see them wishing to cut any of their ships in Alaska.

NCL is also receiving much more revenue and Euros for their two European cruises. With the Dream ending up in LA in late April 2008, it appears the Dream might be transferred to Star Cruises. I suspect the Jewel will continue its Mediterranean cruises, with either the Spirit or Dawn doing Baltic cruises. I would think the Spirit will be chosen, so that during the winter it could do the South American cruises.

The Gem will be sailing out of New York, leaving either the Spirit or Dawn returning to New York during the summer. Since I see the Spirit doing South American cruises during the winter and Baltic cruises during the summer, if any ship returns to New York it appears she will be the Dawn.

Of course, I expect the Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, and Pride of Hawaii to continue in Hawaii.

If the Majesty is still around I suspect it will continue to do Bermuda cruises either out of Boston or New York.

Leaving no ship sailing out of Miami during the summer. The only ship I have no clue about is the Dream, is she being transferred or is she going to do a tour in Alaska? If so, I suspect either one of the three Alaskan ships available for Miami.

Can Boston and Charleston support a larger draft ship? We know New Orleans and Houston can support a mega sized ship, the Sun at 80,000 tons. Remember when the Dream and Sea operated out of both cities Cancun was one port of call on the itinerary. When the Sun moved into Houston and New Orleans Cancun was dropped. Of course, Zelma didn't help any, taking Cancun's tenders away to Cozumel.

NCL needs Euros to balance payments, needs Alaska and Hawaii more so than Miami or New York. NCL won't have enough ships to continue sailing everywhere during the summer until their new F-3 class ships are built in 2010-11.

In the fall I suspect the three Alaskan ships to return to LA, New Orleans, and Miami. Both of the European ships will return, one to Miami and one to South America. If its still around the Majesty will return to Charleston. I expect the second ship in New York to return to Miami. NCL needs to build up its Miami location during the winter, it has the best choices of itineraries in preparation for ships almost twice as large coming in late 2009, mid 2010, and early 2011.

As I said before, with the other cruise lines also sailing out of New York during the winter months, two NCL ships may be one too many during the winter.

[quote name='shoreguy']Hey tink

I don't believe the spirit is going anywhere soon. The Wind goes in April to Star. The Dream and Majesty to follow at later dates. What I was thinking is the Dawn or even the Spirit could return to NYC for the Summer/Fall 2008 season as a second ship.[/quote]

It would be great to have either in concert with the Gem though my preference is well known. ;)

[quote name='shoreguy']Hey tink

I don't believe the spirit is going anywhere soon. The Wind goes in April to Star. The Dream and Majesty to follow at later dates. What I was thinking is the Dawn or even the Spirit could return to NYC for the Summer/Fall 2008 season as a second ship.[/quote]

Seems first response wasn't posted ... I'll try again :rolleyes: ...
It would be great if either one were here with the Gem though my preference is no secret ;) .

Archived