2008 NY sailings???

KerCar

Hi,

Does anyone know what NCL is going to be offering out of NY spring 2008??? Will there still be 8 day eastern Caribbean sailings??? So far all I see posted are the 7 day Gem sailings (Florida-Bahamas). Do any of you have any inside scoop???!!!

Thanks!

I wished I had an inside scoop!:eek:

Let's review what will happen this summer, so as to predict what will happen next summer.

Sailing 2007 from:

Honolulu > Aloha, America, and Hawaii

Vancouver > Sun

Seattle > Star and Pearl

New York > Crown, Spirit, and Dawn

Boston > Majesty

Dover > Dream

Barcelona > Jewel

The Wind leaves the NCL fleet this spring, and the Crown this fall.

The Gem will join the NCL fleet this winter.

Predicitions sailing 2008 from:

Honolul > Aloha, America, and Hawaii

Vancouver > Sun

Seattle > Star and Pearl

New York > Gem, Dawn, and/or Spirit

Boston > Majesty

Dover > Dream

Barcelona > Jewel

Both the Dream and Majesty will probably leave the NCL fleet before 2010, but is 2008 too soon?

If sailing three mega size to Panamax size ships from New York is too much, one of these could replace a smaller ship elsewhere, or could deploy elsewhere without replacing a ship. My best guess is that sailing three large ships from New York is too much, so I expect the Majesty to redeploy to New York to sail extended stay Bermuda cruises, with at least the Spirit or possibly the Dawn deploying to Boston to sail Bermuda/Bahamas cruises.

We will not know until the late April, May, or early June when NCL historically publishes the summer season cruises for the next year.

As of right now the Gem will replace the Dawn and Spirit in Ny.I don't know how they replace 2 ships with 1 in a market the size of ny without losing business.I'm surprised Carnival or Rccl hasn't decided to move another ship in to fill the void.

Thanks for all the input! I'm a first timer on the NCL board, so all your help is greatly appreciated! It looks like the NCL website doesn't have anything listed past April 2008, so for now I guess I'll have to be patient and wait and see if and what 2nd ship they will be sailing out of NY. I'm planning a big family cruise and was hoping for something similiar to the 8 day Spirit Bermuda/E. Carribean they are doing this year. Looks like the Gem will be doing only 7 day Bahama/Florida runs in April. Carnival already has their Spring 2008 NY sailings posted, so hopefully NCL will follow their lead! Thanks again for all the input:)

Thanks for all the input! I'm a first timer on the NCL board, so all your help is greatly appreciated! It looks like the NCL website doesn't have anything listed past April 2008, so for now I guess I'll have to be patient and wait and see if and what 2nd ship they will be sailing out of NY. I'm planning a big family cruise and was hoping for something similiar to the 8 day Spirit Bermuda/E. Carribean they are doing this year. Looks like the Gem will be doing only 7 day Bahama/Florida runs in April. Carnival already has their Spring 2008 NY sailings posted, so hopefully NCL will follow their lead! Thanks again for all the input:)

Check the NCL main page - down at the left hand corner if I remember correctly is a link to request the new brochure for 2007-2008 - and they will mail you one.

M

NCL usually holds its next summers intineraries until May/June each year. Being in competition with other cruise lines, they hold their cards close to their chests. Since the summer season is the most profitable for the cruise lines, with lots of children aboard, financially its wise for NCL.

You'll notice that every year their broucheres intinerary dates end in April. I have noticed that they print their new broucheres in July, and are usually available in late July. It seems in May each year there is 2 years of intineraries up, but by the time April rolls around there is barely a year's worth.

During the summer season, three of NCL's ships are repostioned to Alaska, one to South Ameria, one to the Mediterrean, and sometimes one to the Baltic from their Caribbean/Mexican Riveria winter season ports. Why? Because NCL earns more revenue during the Summer further north than in the Caribbean. You'll notice an Alaskan cruise runs about twice as much as a Caribbean cruise

With three ships in Hawaii year round, that leaves about three of their ships left, with one or two in New York, and one in Boston. Considering the super large F-3 ships to come in late 2009, mid 2010, and early 2011, NCL may decide to keep one of their F-2 class ships in Miami year round. We'll see later when the new intineraries are posted.

According to one of the earlier press releases on the NCL site, the Gem should be doing 7 day Bermuda/Bahama runs summer of '08. Similiar to what the Dawn will be doing this summer. Hopefully they will do this or bring back another ship to do 8 day eastern Caribbean sailings. I can't imagine having a whole summer of nothing but Florida/Bahama sailings to choose from!

Thanks again to all of you who have offered insight on this thread! Please keep me posted if you hear anything else regarding the 2008 schedule out of NY!

One other point .. The bottom line $$.. is fuel costs. The fuel cost for a long Southern, or even an Eastern Run out and back to NYC is very high.

I have a reliable figure of $ 500,000 - 750,000 for the 11 day Southern Spirit run this fall (this depends on Wind and sea conditions) . Per passinger is $250-375; just for fuel. Thus I may see NCL discontinue long runs in a competitive market out of NYC.. I hope I am wrong .

One other point .. The bottom line $$.. is fuel costs. The fuel cost for a long Southern, or even an Eastern Run out and back to NYC is very high.

I have a reliable figure of $ 500,000 - 750,000 for the 11 day Southern Spirit run this fall (this depends on Wind and sea conditions) . Per passinger is $250-375; just for fuel. Thus I may see NCL discontinue long runs in a competitive market out of NYC.. I hope I am wrong .

Just curious. . .Has the NY market not been profitable for NCL??? I have never sailed NCL, but my experience from sailing on other lines has been that NY sailings tend to sail at or close to capacity during the spring and summer months. Again, I can't speak for NCL, but I know that per person prices on Carnival and Celebrity are usually more expensive for NY sailings, as opposed to say a San Juan or Florida based cruise. Is this attributed to higher fuel consumption or just the fact that everything is more expensive in NY???!!!! Again, I'm just being curious and would love to hear any insight any of you might have.

we have booked 1/05/08-NYC-NYC-11 day southern Caribbean

Great news for you!!!! If I weren't planning a big group cruise in 2008 with so many work and school schedules to work around, I'd be right there with you!!!! The Southern Caribbean is PERFECT that time of year, especially coming from the bitter cold of the tri-state area (this winter being the exception!). Best of luck to you and let the countdown begin:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I am TRYING to plan a rathe rlarge group cruise for July 2008 out of NY and I really wanted to do it on NCL. But so far it looks like they will only have the GEM and maybe a small ship doing Bermuda only. My TA spoke to someone at NCL and she said they will probably only have the GEM going to Port Canaveral, Key West, and the Private Island. With all of my folks being from NY we could do without Florida!! Did the Spirit in May 2006 and Port Canaveral was a waste. Not nearly enough time for the theme parks. And if you have been to the Space Center once.....

We priced the Carnival Miracle which will still be doing 8 nights to San Juan. St Thomas and Tortola, their 3rd/4th person rates are insane!!

I also do not see how NCL can replace to ships with 1 but what do I know??

Anyway if any of you hear anything before I do, please do tell!!

Thanks,

Linda

Hi all, I am TRYING to plan a rathe rlarge group cruise for July 2008 out of NY and I really wanted to do it on NCL. But so far it looks like they will only have the GEM and maybe a small ship doing Bermuda only. My TA spoke to someone at NCL and she said they will probably only have the GEM going to Port Canaveral, Key West, and the Private Island. With all of my folks being from NY we could do without Florida!! Did the Spirit in May 2006 and Port Canaveral was a waste. Not nearly enough time for the theme parks. And if you have been to the Space Center once.....

We priced the Carnival Miracle which will still be doing 8 nights to San Juan. St Thomas and Tortola, their 3rd/4th person rates are insane!!

I also do not see how NCL can replace to ships with 1 but what do I know??

Anyway if any of you hear anything before I do, please do tell!!

Thanks,

Linda

Hi!

I just spoke to someone at NCL. I had a few questions about my upcoming cruise and decided to ask if she knew anything about NY 2008. She said they are still hammering out the details of the NY summer 2008 sailings and they should be posted in the next couple of months. She indicated that we should expect something other than the Florida/Bahama itinerary that the Gem will be doing through April 2008. She also seemed to think that there would be something going to Bermuda. Other than that, I couldn't find out anything! I am also in charge of planning a group cruise out of NY summer 2008, so hopefully we will hear something soon!

On the other hand, I loved the two Carnival cruises I've been on and I have heard great things about the Miracle. You're right about there prices being a little higher than NCL, though. I'll be sailing NCL for the first time this June, so after that I should be able to decide whether Carnival is worth the extra money!!!!

Just curious. . .Has the NY market not been profitable for NCL??? I have never sailed NCL, but my experience from sailing on other lines has been that NY sailings tend to sail at or close to capacity during the spring and summer months. Again, I can't speak for NCL, but I know that per person prices on Carnival and Celebrity are usually more expensive for NY sailings, as opposed to say a San Juan or Florida based cruise. Is this attributed to higher fuel consumption or just the fact that everything is more expensive in NY???!!!! Again, I'm just being curious and would love to hear any insight any of you might have.

I believe fare prices vary with supply and demand. During the summer, there is more demand everywhere, but the supply of ships sailing from New York increases too.

Competitive fare prices?

2007 July sailings of NCL's Freestyle fleet:

July 21 Star 7 day Alaska $899

July 21 Dawn 7 day Bahamas $929

July 21 Spirit 8 day Bermuda/Caribbean $1049

July 21 Pride of America 7 day Hawaii $1199

July 22 Sun 7 day Alaska $899

July 22 Jewel Mediterranean $999

July 22 Pearl 7 day Alaska $1099

Ju;y 22 Pride of Aloha 7 day Hawaii $1099

July 23 Pride of Hawaii 7 day Hawaii $1199

Only the Star and Sun have cheaper fares (just $30) than the Dawn sailing from New York with 7 day cruises, and note the Spirit is sailing an 8 day cruise. Therefore, I don't see the mystical higher fares sailing from New York on this weekend. I believe you are suggesting a myth.

4.5 $1,299 $929

They tend to be a little bit higher because there is a huge market withr those local that can cruise and not pay airfare. You can often get a great deal out of San Juan last minute but the airfare from NYC can be as much as the cruise. If I compare a cruise from NYC to a cruise from somewhere else with air 9 times out of ten the NYC cruise is a better value for me. If you throw in a hotel to arrive the day before it becomes a no brainer.

My understanding NY as been very good to NCL. I would not be surprised to see a second ship join the GEM in NYC for the summer 2008. No summer itineraries for the Dawn or Spirit have been announced or even alluded to.

According to the asst hotel manager on the Spirit just last week, NCL will not be abandoning NYC. The Gem and the new Pearl will be taking up the NYC sailings in 2008.

They chose these two ships because they are of similar class. Apparently the size and style difference between Dawn and Spirit has caused some negative comments on Spirit because size and amenities differ, so now they'll be having two similar ships sailing from NYC.

HTH!

Teri

According to the asst hotel manager on the Spirit just last week, NCL will not be abandoning NYC. The Gem and the new Pearl will be taking up the NYC sailings in 2008.

They chose these two ships because they are of similar class. Apparently the size and style difference between Dawn and Spirit has caused some negative comments on Spirit because size and amenities differ, so now they'll be having two similar ships sailing from NYC.

HTH!

Teri

HTH!

Teri

Archived