Why does the cheesecake always taste bad?

snorkelman

I have cruised on several different lines for nearly 20 cruises and I have noticed that the cruise lines (Carnival in particular) don't seem to be able to make a decent cheesecake.

Of course I am used to them having weird types of cheesecakes (rather than a traditional plain cheesecake) but I have yet to taste one that makes me say, "mmm that's good cheesecake."

I have gotten to the point that when it is offered as a desert option I often select something different and then smile as I hear the other diners complain about how it tastes bland.

Do they skimp on ingredients (kind of like how the orange juice is watered down)?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to totally agree!!!:(

Both Carnival ships I have been on i was very upset that I was not able to get a nice sweet yummy cheesecake.

I love:p sweets and would like to know why I cant get a good piece of cheesecake....:confused:

I'm a retired chef from N.O. I've had chefs from various cruiselines have dinner at my restaurants. We made many wonderful types of creamy cheesecakes - served perfectly chilled, not cold.

I have always taken the time to speak with these chefs. I have heard chefs from RCCL, NCL, and Carnival (I don't know any 'other line' chefs) tell me their cheesecakes are ordered from food vendors. They are frozen when they reach the ship. (Draw your own conclusions.):rolleyes:

I have always taken the time to speak with these chefs. I have heard chefs from RCCL, NCL, and Carnival (I don't know any 'other line' chefs) tell me their cheesecakes are ordered from food vendors. They are frozen when they reach the ship. (Draw your own conclusions.):rolleyes:

But I've had frozen cheesecake from Sam's that tasted better than any I've had on a cruise!! I get the impression that some of the offerings aren't real cheesecake - meaning they don't have to be baked. I get more of a light whipped texture than a creamy and decadent one. Makes me think more of the JELL-O no-bakes.

I have cruised on several different lines for nearly 20 cruises and I have noticed that the cruise lines (Carnival in particular) don't seem to be able to make a decent cheesecake.

Of course I am used to them having weird types of cheesecakes (rather than a traditional plain cheesecake) but I have yet to taste one that makes me say, "mmm that's good cheesecake."

I have gotten to the point that when it is offered as a desert option I often select something different and then smile as I hear the other diners complain about how it tastes bland.

Do they skimp on ingredients (kind of like how the orange juice is watered down)?

I don't think they add the cream cheese :eek: :p ..... I think it may be a combination of not nearly enough cream cheese in the recipe and the texture is like it has been frozen and absorbed water....not smooth as it should be, it almost turns mushy :( ..... think if they made it fresh on the ship you would notice a big difference ;)

Archived