First Timer in Alaska - Island P. 7-2007

LisaH

For those who have gone before us...I would love to ask a few questions.

On the 3-day land trip to Denali, Mt. Mckinley...is it necessary to have various types of clothing or will jeans and shorts be sufficient. I was really wondering about dinner attire in the lodges. I assume it is casual and that jeans would be okay there...I know we are limited on luggage.

How long are you on the helicopter if you choose to land on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau? And I have heard you are on the glacier for 20-30 minutes, true?

And I have also read that your cruise luggage goes ahead of you and that for the land portion and train to Whittier (9 hours) you are limited to one piece of luggage per person and a carryon bag/tote. True?

Thanks in advance and I can't believe it is getting so close.

Bump-Out Cabin B503 - here we come.

It is very casual at the Princess Lodges, nothing more than jeans are necessary. Be aware- that the McKinley and Denali Lodge are 100 miles apart, IF you only have the Natural History tour and one night at the Denali Lodge- rethink this tour as the NHT isn't even worth the time and significantly lacking for seeing the National Park. If this is only a 3 day add on cruisetour, be prepared, most all your time is in transit.

True, you only have room for a small pack under your seat on the train, not an additional "carry on luggage". Seating is also table style, with 2 people riding backwards.

The glacier helicopter landings for the single landing are about 20-30 minutes. If you desire more time, consider a more costly double landing, or trekking excursion with Northstar Trekking.

It is very casual at the Princess Lodges, nothing more than jeans are necessary. Be aware- that the McKinley and Denali Lodge are 100 miles apart, IF you only have the Natural History tour and one night at the Denali Lodge- rethink this tour as the NHT isn't even worth the time and significantly lacking for seeing the National Park. If this is only a 3 day add on cruisetour, be prepared, most all your time is in transit.

True, you only have room for a small pack under your seat on the train, not an additional "carry on luggage". Seating is also table style, with 2 people riding backwards.

The glacier helicopter landings for the single landing are about 20-30 minutes. If you desire more time, consider a more costly double landing, or trekking excursion with Northstar Trekking.

Thanks Budget Queen - you always have great info. Yes we are aware about the 3-day land tour but we both work and our time is limited. We understand that we cannot do it all at once and we are doing what our time allows us to do. Maybe when we retire....

I assume that your suitcase from the land tour will be sent ahead to the ship once we board the train for Whittier??

Thanks Budget Queen - you always have great info. Yes we are aware about the 3-day land tour but we both work and our time is limited. We understand that we cannot do it all at once and we are doing what our time allows us to do. Maybe when we retire....

I assume that your suitcase from the land tour will be sent ahead to the ship once we board the train for Whittier??

I am only being frank. With 3 days, you can definately do more independent, since time isn't taken up with loading, fixed schedules etc. You could see Seward, or get farther into Denali Park if you don't already have the TWT- hopefully you do. I am a strong advocate of getting into Denali park- I can think of no reason to spend 6 hours each way getting there for only a worthless 3 hour tour. This is a general comment only, since I don't know what you purchased. But something to perhaps consider, in general for those visiting Alaska.

I am only being frank. With 3 days, you can definately do more independent, since time isn't taken up with loading, fixed schedules etc. You could see Seward, or get farther into Denali Park if you don't already have the TWT- hopefully you do. I am a strong advocate of getting into Denali park- I can think of no reason to spend 6 hours each way getting there for only a worthless 3 hour tour. This is a general comment only, since I don't know what you purchased. But something to perhaps consider, in general for those visiting Alaska.

I do appreciate your candor...it is good info.

We also have only one night in Denali and are taking the Natural History Tour the evening we arrive.

We do have the next morning until the bus leaves at 3 pm how far into Denali can we get and still make it back in time for the bus?

Thanks for the help.

We also have only one night in Denali and are taking the Natural History Tour the evening we arrive.

We do have the next morning until the bus leaves at 3 pm how far into Denali can we get and still make it back in time for the bus?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry you do not have time for a shuttle except for the free Savage River shuttle-same distance as your NHT. I will speculate you would have to be ready to board your bus by 2pm.

Archived