Avis rental in Skagway

candlelady

If we were to rent a car from Avis in Skagway, how far is it from the dock to pick up the car and return it? From what I've read, the roads are very well marked and in good condition, right?

It is only 10-15 min easy walk even if your cruiseship is docked the furthest pier from Skagway downtown. Make a reservation early since it tends to be booked up several months ahead of time..

Avis is located on Third between Broadway and Spring, across from the Westmark. Take a look at a map- http://www.skagway.com

No problem with no mobility limitations. There is also a SMART shuttle for $1.50 each way, drop off a block away if needed from the cruise dock.

Are there any other rental car places in Skagway, other than Avis? My company has some discount deals with Hertz and Dollars.
Avis is it. Like mentioned before - book early, they have limited a number of cars and they book quickly.

I have a full size car booked for May. My husband is very long in the body and needs a car with a lot of headroom. Since the local office is closed, I was wondering what cars you were able to rent from Avis in Skagway. The main office can't really tell me - guess we will have to wait til May 15 and call direct. Wish they had SUVs.

I have a full size car booked for May. My husband is very long in the body and needs a car with a lot of headroom. Since the local office is closed, I was wondering what cars you were able to rent from Avis in Skagway. The main office can't really tell me - guess we will have to wait til May 15 and call direct. Wish they had SUVs.

Don't expect a big selection. In the past they were loaded with Camrys. It depends what Anchorage sends them.

Are there any other rental car places in Skagway, other than Avis? My company has some discount deals with Hertz and Dollars.

Avis is the only major. There is a place called (I think) Sourdough Rentals which is basically the local Rent A Wreck. You can Google it.

Don't expect a big selection. In the past they were loaded with Camrys. It depends what Anchorage sends them.

The online booking engine is not accurate as far as their inventory. We had two full size cars booked, but when we got there they offered us a van. I would suggest you get off the ship first and race right to the office and see what is available. Or maybe you can get their local phone from 411 and call them the week before?

Check our page at

The Halls Go to Alaska

for our report and pics of our drive into the Yukon.

Avis is the only major. There is a place called (I think) Sourdough Rentals which is basically the local Rent A Wreck. You can Google it.

I don't think sourdough rental is affiliated with Rent a Wreck. But they do rent a lot of wrecks :) .. Try to avoid them as much as possible... Poor cars, bad service, may even over charge your credit card..

MercedMike:

Enjoyed your pictures. When was your visit to Alaska? You really seemed to cover everything on your drive. About how long were you traveling in the van that day? With only 4 of us I doubt we will get a van, but that would be great. I'll have to have my running shoes on when I hit the dock. :D

MercedMike:

Enjoyed your pictures. When was your visit to Alaska? You really seemed to cover everything on your drive. About how long were you traveling in the van that day? With only 4 of us I doubt we will get a van, but that would be great. I'll have to have my running shoes on when I hit the dock. :D

You know, I just noticed I left the date off my review! ;)

It was September of 2006. We had a really good trip to Caribou Crossing.

We got off the ship at a reasonable time. I don't think we were one of the first ones to Avis, though, and the van was still available. It is a bit more than a sedan, of course, but much less than two cars. We probably left Skagway about 8:30. We drove to the Gold Rush cemetery, then out the Dyea road as far as the lookout, and then back to the main road. It was a bit slow over the summit due to fog. We stopped frequently to sightsee along the road and took lots of pictures. We got to Emerald Lake maybe about noon, then came back to Spirit Lake Lodge and had a nice lunch of soup, sandwiches and blueberry pie, and got to Caribou Crossing shortly after one. That is about the time all the tour buses leave, so we had the place almost to ourselves! We did the dog carts, and my DW did the ATV, and we toured the museum, and left Caribou Crossing about 3:00 and were back in Skagway before 4:30. That didn't leave much time to shop, though!;)

Have a GREAT cruise!

I don't think sourdough rental is affiliated with Rent a Wreck. But they do rent a lot of wrecks :) .. Try to avoid them as much as possible... Poor cars, bad service, may even over charge your credit card..

Sorry, I did not mean to imply they were affiliated. (How do I make a copyright sign on this thing??) Just that they are the same sort of an operation from what I have read.

;)

Sorry, I did not mean to imply they were affiliated. (How do I make a copyright sign on this thing??) Just that they are the same sort of an operation from what I have read.

;)

They have crap cars, that are poorly maintained. Several break downs that I know of this past season. They are difficult to get a hold of and take several days to respond. Their cars have been so so for years. They don't have their act together in my opinion of having dealt with them over several years.

They have crap cars, that are poorly maintained. Several break downs that I know of this past season. They are difficult to get a hold of and take several days to respond. Their cars have been so so for years. They don't have their act together in my opinion of having dealt with them over several years.

I think someone else posted on here about renting from them and having their credit card overcharged. Of course since Sourdough seems to never answer their phone, the person who posted was having trouble getting their money back.

When we drove to Alasaka a few years back we had to have a form from our insurance company indicating that they would cover our vehicle in Canada.

If you rent a car in Skagway and drive into Canada for the day do you still need this type of documentation???

Jimmie

• 2 weeks later...

ABOUT AVIS

The online booking engine is not accurate as far as their inventory. We had two full size cars booked, but when we got there they offered us a van. I would suggest you get off the ship first and race right to the office and see what is available. Or maybe you can get their local phone from 411 and call them the week before?

ABOUT SOURDOUGH RENTALS

I have been looking at sourdough only since it seems that Avis only has cars( we need to fit 4 adults and 2 car seats)...do you think i should reserve a full size car through Avis now, then hope that they have a van in May? OR go w/ sourdough who do have vans?

Also, do you get charged per mileage w/ avis or are you given a set amount?..AND how do i find out if they'll have child seats, if the office is closed until we get there mid may?..thanks in advance for any replies.......

There is one gas station in Skagway , located on 2nd and State. Also the laundry. :)

Call Avis directly when they open about a van. It is easy to cancel a full size reservation, but wouldn't you need 2 cars if a van isn't available??

Mileage is unlimited with Avis. Confirm with Sourdough.

Archived