Air Tran

We have used Air Tran more lately then any other line. They seem to have the newest planes, more leg room in the economy section and pleasent employees. They are also one of the cheapest airlines in our area. So good luck on your choise.

John III

Air Tran used to be the old "Valujet". They changed their name after one of their planes crashed in the Florida Everglades.
That's not exactly true. Valujet merged with Air Tran because of their tainted name after the crash in Florida.

I've flown Air Tran several times with no problems. But as KellyJean has already pointed out, Air Tran only flies domestically in the United States so we're not all talking about the same airline.

MoE - LOL! You *are* just kidding, aren't you?! :eek:

Air transat is a good airline. They have only had one real bad incident when they didnt put enough fuel in for a trans atlantic flight and they had to glide for about 100 miles into the airport in the azores. It just shows that there pilots are good.
There's more to that incident than that, but the official report has not yet been published and is bound to be highly controversial when it is. The pilots certainly did well after the aircraft ran out of fuel - but their part in getting into that position to start off with is still the subject of debate.

BTW, the aircraft had plenty of fuel when it took off. What happened was a fuel leak, through which much of the fuel was lost - in circumstances that are (as I say) still controversial.

Anyway, this isn't the airline that the OP was thinking of.

If you are talking about the domestic carrier AirTran I have nothing but positive comments about them. They have been on time or early leaving the gates every time I have taken them. Their employees act like they appreciate my business not like I'm someone that is bothering them. On top of that their prices (at least from Boston) are excellant! :o I made arrangements to fly to Atlanta for a funeral two days before departure and got a price that was half what the other airlines were quoting. I now check their website everytime I plan on traveling. One to see if they fly there and 2 to see what their rates. My only suggestion would be they add leather seats and Direct TV like JetBlue :D

I, too, fly AirTran out of Atlanta all the time, and have never had a problem. I always get great prices from them, and great service, too! However, I think that the OP (from Belgium) is referring to the Canadian line, Airtransat, which does flights between Canada and Europe. The Air Transat incident of running out of fuel has been on the History and National Geographic channels several times, and as Globaliser has pointed out, the cause is still controversial.

I am so impressed with AirTran that I have been buying their stock. They are one of the few domestic airlines that are making money. A very young fleet and the cabin air is 100% fresh rather than recirculated. They allow three checked bags weighing up to 70 lbs ea. Great pricing and no penalty for one-way fares and no Sat night stay required.

My best friend flew with her two small children to Florida with Air Tran around Christmas. Her flight was delayed taking off in Newark (due to a mechanical problem as I recall) so she missed the connecting flight in Atlanta. (I think it was Atlanta.) Whatever other flight Air Tran had to West Palm Beach was fully booked. Late in the night she was still stuck in Atlanta. She finally got seats on the last flight out for the day. Needless to say she was absolutely exhaused from begging for a flight, trying to tend to two small children all day and night in an airport by herself, etc. Says she'll never fly Air Tran again even if the tickets were free.

By contrast, I flew with her and the children to Orlando recently on Delta. Again, the flight was delayed out of Newark (due to weather this time). We missed the connection in Atlanta again. When we checked in Atlanta, however, we found that she and her children had already been cleared for the next flight to Orlando -- this in spite of the fact that the flight had a very long waitlist of Platinum and Gold Medallion fliers who also wanted to be cleared -- me among them! We assumed that the airline had cleared her first since she was traveling with two small children. Despite my "elite" status, which my friend does not have, I wasn't cleared until about two minutes before flight time. Even though it might have inconvenienced me, I've always respected Delta for giving priority to a mother traveling with small children.

I have flown Air Tran a few times but after my last experience with them I will stick with jet blue. The last time I flew AT was in May for a sovereign cruise;having made reservations for flight times that worked perfectly with our cruise schedule-6 months in advance;1 week before cruise flights were cancelled and changed. The changed flights were really awful the worst being the return. The original would have had us home from Orlando to Rochester by 3:00 pm perfect! The changed flights had me home @ 12:30 am-after having got off the cruise ship @ 9:00am . A whole day wasted in airports-not something anybody really enjoys after getting off the ship all anyone wants is to get home!!LOL. So I'll be sticking with Jet Blue-their flights are always right on. IMO

Maybe I should fly AirTran again after reading most all Good reviews. My DH and I have flown them numerous times, up until 2 years ago, now we fly other airlines. MOST of our AirTran flights were plagued with various problems, from late to vary late take-offs, to no pilots, 6 hours late in taking off, to lost luggage, to missing connections due to late take offs, to returning to the original airport 15 minutes after a 2 hr. late take-off because of a malfunctioning console light, and dumping all the fuel before re-landing to NOT telling me that my home airport (NE Ohio) was ALREADY closed BEFORE I even checked in (SW Florida), they sent me on to Atlanta, had to spend the night, etc...I could write a book. They were cheap, though.

Archived