I need my Mt.Dew...

tinydancer21

My DH drinks Mt. Dew like water, I don't think he can live with out it! haha I don't think we'll have time or a way to get to a gas station or store before we board in Long Beach, do you think the Airline would let us carry on one of those little lunch bag type coolers full of soda?

Good question. I don't know about taking beverages aboard a plane, but I have (on several occasions) taken an insulated cooler bag containing frozen gumbo, etc. on flights to L.A. as a carry-on. (No ice, just the frozen cooler packs. Never had a problem.)

I take my diet pepsi with me all the time on the airlines, no problem at all, I also pack some of those 24 ounce bottles in my suitcase, just put them in a zip lock bag,

OK...

Speaking from experience - might I "suggest" that if someone is that attached to any sugar containing drink (sport drinks and fruit juices included) - that you switch to either water (best!) or artifically sweetened drinks (SPLENDA is on Carnival now too!).

Don't get me wrong - virtually anything in MODERATION is A-OK (even periodic excess!!!) ... but if the consumption can be measured in multiple liters per day there are a host of potential health complications (tooth decay and diabetes are the first to come to mind). Don't believe everything that you read : Sugar containing soft drinks are F A R more damaging to teeth than the same soda in diet form - I witness it firsthand on a daily basis... (beware the "hidden" sugar : cough drops and mints...potential bad news if used a few/several times daily!) Of course we all know people who can do all sorts of things all day long and never have complications... smoking - poor diet - etc... luck and genetics have alot to do with it!

My switch from Mountain Dew to DIET Mountain Dew was initially tough...(7 years ago)... Now when I do venture a SIP of the "real thing" I realize that it is sickenly sweet (SYRUP)!

... just my two cents...

Tom

OK...

Speaking from experience - might I "suggest" that if someone is that attached to any sugar containing drink (sport drinks and fruit juices included) - that you switch to either water (best!) or artifically sweetened drinks (SPLENDA is on Carnival now too!).

Don't get me wrong - virtually anything in MODERATION is A-OK (even periodic excess!!!) ... but if the consumption can be measured in multiple liters per day there are a host of potential health complications (tooth decay and diabetes are the first to come to mind). Don't believe everything that you read : Sugar containing soft drinks are F A R more damaging to teeth than the same soda in diet form - I witness it firsthand on a daily basis... (beware the "hidden" sugar : cough drops and mints...potential bad news if used a few/several times daily!) Of course we all know people who can do all sorts of things all day long and never have complications... smoking - poor diet - etc... luck and genetics have alot to do with it!

My switch from Mountain Dew to DIET Mountain Dew was initially tough...(7 years ago)... Now when I do venture a SIP of the "real thing" I realize that it is sickenly sweet (SYRUP)!

... just my two cents...

Tom

I know if I read long enough, that this is an answer to the original post.........

OK...

... just my two cents...

Tom

Don't get me wrong but from what I've heard and know from my chemistry classes the biggest thing in all the soft drinks that is killing your teeth is the ACIDS! you know...Phosphoric acid, citric acid....etc...

Yes, acid is the big culprit here... but alas grasshopper, all is not as it seems...:D

Dental 101:

There exists in the oral cavity an ongoing process of demineralization-remineralization (of the enamel). This occurs spontaneously as the pH fluctuates. When the oral environment is acidic, the balance of that equation shifts towards the demineralization... under normal circumstances (short durations) this is of no consequence. However, when the equation "spends more and more time" towards the acid end, damage can result.

There are 2 ways in which your teeth are exposed to acid. The first, obviously, is direct exposure to phosphoric, citric, and carbonic acids. The second is due to the metabolic activity of the bacteria in the plaque on your teeth - primarily streptococcus mutans. This bacteria lives on SUGAR. It also "lives" directly attached to your teeth. During its metabolization of this sugar it produces, and excretes (pees !) acid directly onto the enamel. As long as the demineralization is limited to the enamel, with no extent into the dentin of the tooth, there is still "hope"... once the process extends beyond the enamel you are looking at a FILLING, at least. This "buffer" of hard enamel covering the tooth varies in its thickness - from virtually paper thin near the gumline, up to 1 to 2 millimeters elsewhere.

There are a host of factors involved in the decay process, especially regarding susceptibility... including, but not limited to, bacteriological, genetic and "habits"... It will be the habits that we focus on, as that is where we have the most control.

Imagine eating an ENTIRE chocolate cake (yum...then yuck..lol) at one sitting. During that time you will provide the bacteria with ample substrate (sugar) for their well being..lol - and they will produce acid during that period, and for a relatively short time thereafter. Now imagine slowly eating that cake throughout the day... a bite here, a bite there.. you are now slowly bathing the bacteria in sugar, causing a much greater period of exposure to the excreted acids.. potential bad news, especially if this ongoing exposure repeats itself on most days! (Note: this includes exposure not only to CAKE :D , but any other source of natural or refined sugars)

The aforementioned "day long acid bath", especially when combined with less than ideal oral hygiene (effective brushing and flossing techniques) to actually reduce the colonies of bacteria (plaque) will greatly increase the likelihood of tooth decay. I see this mainly in young adults, but it is spread across the spectrum of ages... increasing once again in the elderly, who due to issues of coordination or dexterity, can no longer effectively clean their teeth.

The recent studies, to which most are referring, were conducted using extracted teeth submerged into soft drinks for 2 weeks... well with 100% constant exposure, and no chance for remineralization, the teeth WILL eventually erode/dissolve!

As was previously mentioned... most things in moderation are OK.. water is best... followed by unsweetened non-carbonated beverages... followed by diet drinks... and last on the list are sugar containing sodas and sport drinks. I have had people come into my office with extensive decay telling me they do not consume soft drinks or add sugar to their diet, yet upon further investigation sport drinks or cough drops are common stealth culprits.

That will be $49.00... thank you... lol

Tom

Sorry this is getting off the topic of tooth decay for a minute, but I read somewhere yesterday that Carnival has Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite available. Is that the only soft drinks? I want Cherry Coke or Pibb. But Pepsi would be even better. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you all! :D

No problem.. tooth decay was actually straying from the topic! (as Dan has pointed out)

I can not tell you for sure.. though I do not recall seeing those... to be on the safe side, simply bring your own - or do as I do and drink lots of FREE TEA during your cruise (with SPLENDA, of course !)

Tom

My DH drinks Mt. Dew like water, I don't think he can live with out it! haha I don't think we'll have time or a way to get to a gas station or store before we board in Long Beach, do you think the Airline would let us carry on one of those little lunch bag type coolers full of soda?

Yes the airlines will let you carry anything you want regarding food or soda. They dont care. I do it all the time I love Dew too. I took a 1liter on our cruise and used ice in the cabin. So I was good the whole cruise. But the cruise ship had lemonaid and fruit punch and that worked well for me most of the time.

Wouldnt it really depend on the airlines? Airtran allows 3 suitcases and only one carry-on along with your pockebook. If you want to check more bags it will cost you a hefty fee.

Archived