Early Arrival for Embarkation at Port Everglades

drpack

For my 02/18/07 Caribbean Princess cruise, the following notice was posted by Princess on my Cruise Personalizer. You have to click on Itinerary to bring up the notice:

EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS

NOTIFICATION 2

** Important Information Regarding Embarkation **

Please be reminded that embarkation begins at 1:00 pm. It is recommended that you arrive after 2:00 pm in order to avoid long lines and waiting times. Please note that adequate facilities are not available at the pier to comfortably accommodate large numbers of passengers who arrive prior to 1:00 pm.

In addition, passengers arriving prior to 11:00 am will not be permitted to enter the port.

Has anyone been turned away for arriving before 11:00 am? I usually drive and try to arrive between 10:30-11:00 am. I've noticed that things start getting busy around 11:00-11:30 am and that's about the time the inside waiting area (with seating) becomes full and they start making people wait inline outside.

For my 02/18/07 Caribbean Princess cruise, the following notice was posted by Princess on my Cruise Personalizer. You have to click on Itinerary to bring up the notice:

EMERGENCY NOTIFICATIONS

NOTIFICATION 2

** Important Information Regarding Embarkation **

Please be reminded that embarkation begins at 1:00 pm. It is recommended that you arrive after 2:00 pm in order to avoid long lines and waiting times. Please note that adequate facilities are not available at the pier to comfortably accommodate large numbers of passengers who arrive prior to 1:00 pm.

In addition, passengers arriving prior to 11:00 am will not be permitted to enter the port.

Has anyone been turned away for arriving before 11:00 am? I usually drive and try to arrive between 10:30-11:00 am. I've noticed that things start getting busy around 11:00-11:30 am and that's about the time the inside waiting area (with seating) becomes full and they start making people wait inline outside.

We arrived aroung 1:00 for this same ship & it was the worst mistake!! It took 2 hours to check in:eek: , go early.

Jan

I saw the same message you did. Last March when we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, we arrived about 10:15 and that time was perfect. We were able to get a seat inside the terminal and waited until around 12:00 noon. Let me know how you make out if you go early.

Thanks

I saw the same message you did. Last March when we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, we arrived about 10:15 and that time was perfect. We were able to get a seat inside the terminal and waited until around 12:00 noon. Let me know how you make out if you go early.

Thanks

We arrived at 10:30 last October and there was no problem getting into the port. I didn't notice the message then, but it may have been there. We got a seat inside. They handed out numbers and had refreshments available. They started boarding around noon. We were in our cabin in less than 15 minutes. I was just checking to see if there had been a change in the port's policy about what time they let people onto the port.

They may be trying to limit the congestion in Port Everglades as it really is becoming a mess anymore with so many ships in port at the same time and all the buses and taxis. Look at it this way, if they can stop half of the passeners showing up until 1:00 or after with this warning, then they will cut down the mess by half. No way they are going to check at entry, it just takes too long. But I am sure this warning will get some to think twice about arriving early.

02/18/07 is a Sunday which is a BIG turnaround day for most cruise lines at FLL. If 5 or 6 ships are disembarking it will take a lot longer to get everyone out of the terminal areas so they are probably trying to limit the number of early arrivals to keep the congestion as manageable as possible.

It's a serious problem at FLL on these high traffic days.

Our party of six arrived at 11 a.m. on 12/24 and were directed inside where we found seats. The remaining seats filled quickly - the place probably seats a couple hundred or so inside - and the boarding process began at noon. When that started it was only a few minutes until we were on the ship. FWIW, our driver from the motel said that he HAD been turned away before 11 before.

We also will be driving in for our cruise on the 3rd of Feb. DW has had a hip replaced and would be uncomfortable if had to stand for long periods of time. What would be a good time to arrive to minimize the wait. Thanks Bill

We also will be driving in for our cruise on the 3rd of Feb. DW has had a hip replaced and would be uncomfortable if had to stand for long periods of time. What would be a good time to arrive to minimize the wait. Thanks Bill

To avoid long lines, arrive as close as possible to the end of boarding time. Otherwise, there is usually a very long wait. If you sail at 5:00, then arriving at 3:00 would probably keep you from having to wait in liines.

You could ask for a wheelchair just for embarkation. When they first started boarding there were several dozen people in Princess wheelchairs that were all taken first including their traveling companions. Many of the wheelchairs were being pushed by Princess personnel. I'm sure there is a limit to how many wheelchairs the cruise line has for embarkation but there seemed to be enough for everyone who requested one.

Thanks Toto and Dr, Pack:

DW would rather get there a little later than use a wheelchair that might really be needed by someone else. Hip doesn't bother her unless she has to stand for extended periods of time. As there is a good chance we will be driving in from Leesburg will just adjust the time we leave as ship doesn't leave until 7:00 pm. Bill

Thanks Toto and Dr, Pack:

DW would rather get there a little later than use a wheelchair that might really be needed by someone else. Hip doesn't bother her unless she has to stand for extended periods of time. As there is a good chance we will be driving in from Leesburg will just adjust the time we leave as ship doesn't leave until 7:00 pm. Bill

We also drive down from Leesburg. It's an easy 4 hour drive. We stay on the Turnpike. It cost a little more, but 95 seems to have more accidents and backups than the Turnpike.

We have relatives in Leesburg. The drive from No. GA to Leesburg is about 7 hrs. We visit for a day or two and then head south. I was raised in Miami many years ago, but left in the early 50's. No family left in So FL. Thanks again for info. Bill

Archived