New Family = Cruising?

AlohaPride

Aloha All,

DH and I just found out that I am pregnant. We also have recently fallen in love with cruising. We like HAL, but I think they charge for children under 2. As our child will not be 2 for a very long time ;) which lines should DH and I look into in order to keep cruising??

Mahalo,

~Mary

Mary, Congrats again : )

Most cruise lines charge for children and usually it is a full fair rate. However, this rate is usually much cheaper than the first two people in the room. It is called the third person rate and usually it is 1/2 the price of the other two people.

I am not totally sure what they will do for children under that age of 2. I know that when I started cruising at the age 4 my parents had to pay full fair for me even though I was the third person in the room. I bet some cruiselines might have some disconts for children but none that I know of. I am going with my cousins in March they are 6, 6, and 8 and they are going to be split between their mother and their grandparents and they have to pay the full rate for them and that depends on how many people are in the room.

It is not like taken a child to a sporting event or concert where there is usually no charge for them if they don't take up a seat, however you have to remember that even though you child can't eat yet they are profision that the cruiselines make for this child. Insurance, water, and the such. But you came to the right place to ask these questions maybe someone who has more experience with traveling with children can help you. And sorry for not meeting you maybe another time on another cruise.

Geoffrey

Mary, Congrats again : )

Most cruise lines charge for children and usually it is a full fair rate. However, this rate is usually much cheaper than the first two people in the room. It is called the third person rate and usually it is 1/2 the price of the other two people.

I am not totally sure what they will do for children under that age of 2. I know that when I started cruising at the age 4 my parents had to pay full fair for me even though I was the third person in the room. I bet some cruiselines might have some disconts for children but none that I know of. I am going with my cousins in March they are 6, 6, and 8 and they are going to be split between their mother and their grandparents and they have to pay the full rate for them and that depends on how many people are in the room.

It is not like taken a child to a sporting event or concert where there is usually no charge for them if they don't take up a seat, however you have to remember that even though you child can't eat yet they are profision that the cruiselines make for this child. Insurance, water, and the such. But you came to the right place to ask these questions maybe someone who has more experience with traveling with children can help you. And sorry for not meeting you maybe another time on another cruise.

Geoffrey

After doing some of my own research, I found this on cruisemates.com

". . .a few cruise lines - Norwegian Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, and Cunard Line -- let little ones under 2 years sail for free. Children must be under 2 years at the time of sailing (not at the time of booking), and parents must pay the applicable government fees. According to Cunard, these fees can range up to $108, depending on the itinerary. Holland America Line offers a discounted rate for children under 2 years. It varies by itinerary but can be as low as half the third/fourth berth rate charged for those over 18 years."

Now, my question is, how are these lines, has anyone been on them before? I'm familiar with NCL but not the others.

The "free" is a little misleading. I've been on NCL and we've paid port fees and taxes. That can run up to $300 for an infant, pending on the ports. I know it did when we were on NCL.

I've been on many of the main cruise lines with children under 2. There are ways to do RCCL with less expense. Just keep checking for specials. I know that in 2006 RCCL offered a $99 3rd and 4th person rate for some sailings.

We also paid $199 per person on our last cruise (Carnival Elation, 4 days). So adding 2 children in was cheap.

My thought is to stick to the cruiseline you like to cruise. The baby will adapt nicely. :D

Congrats on the pregnancy!!!!!

Thanks, Michele! I was aware of the port charges and taxes. I just didn't know they could run upwards of $300! :eek:

I really do love HAL, but would like to try other lines. I'll keep my eyes out for great deals and jump at those as I see them!!

Archived