2 Items - Volendam

LFM

We pre-booked the "Canal Experience to Colon." We have been told that this gives the best overall picture of the locks, etc. Any comments from past cruisers?

Item 2 - what is the tipping policy on HAL? This is our first cruise with them. Thanks for your help.

We pre-booked the "Canal Experience to Colon." We have been told that this gives the best overall picture of the locks, etc. Any comments from past cruisers?

Item 2 - what is the tipping policy on HAL? This is our first cruise with them. Thanks for your help.

Don't know about the excursion but you will be charged $10 per day/per person for tips, plus 15% for each drink you buy at a bar.

You can change the amount of the tips by visiting the Front Desk if you desire. We leave it as is and tip extra to specific people for over and above service, plus we tip $2 for breakfast room service.

Cheers,

Thanks for the info. I really would love to have some inside info on the "Canal Experience to Colon" - can any past cruisers help?

You might want to consider posting this question over on the "ports of call" board too. The excursion is not unique to HAL or this ship you are sailing.

I did this excursion last March and thought it was fantastic.

It is quite a long day (about 8 hours if I recall correctly), but it went by very quickly. I would suggest that you eat a good breakfast as the lunch provided is not great (a sandwich, muffin and a soft drink).

After the ship goes through the first set of locks into Gatun Lake, you board a tender that takes you to shore where the buses are waiting. A tour guide describes the sites during a short bus ride to the boats. (By the way, our guide was Arturo and he was great.)

The boats that take you through the canal are small but have a couple of decks -- the lower one is air conditioned and the upper, where most people sat, is open air (but covered). The tour guide provides historical and technical information while going through the canal. It is really interesting to see the cargo ships and other working boats transiting the canal. You may have to wait at the various locks because the canal authority controls the timing of the passages through the locks. We watched while a freighter accompanied by a couple of tugs moved very slowly into position behind our boat in one set of locks.

Once you arrive on the Pacific side, you board the buses again and travel to Colon (about an hour) to meet up with ship. As you were told, this is an excellent way to see the Canal and the locks up close and personal.

I think you will enjoy this excursion.

Archived