Trip Insurance

candlelady

I need to purchase some trip insurance . What company have you done business with and would deal with again? Of course, I don't want to pay a fortune but I want to cover everthing I need to...to which I don't have a clue since this is my first cruise. Thanks for all the help.:)

I have purchased the Travelex Travel Lite policy for several cruises. I compared coverages and prices at http://www.insuremytrip.com. If you get a quote there, be sure to base it on the per person cost and not the total cost of your trip - especially if there are more than 2 people in your cabin. Since the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin usually pay less than the first two people - if you buy insurance based on the average cost, the first 2 people will be underinsured.

Not sure about all policies, but Travelex is priced in $500 increments. I always round-up to the next highest $500 level without going over to cover incidentals - like excursions.

I have purchased the Travelex Travel Lite policy...

I've used this one as well. I have no problem purchasing cruiseline insurance, either, when I didn't care to have air insured. Luckily we've not needed to file a claim on either. With in-laws in the 80's however, we do feel it's worthwhile to purchase.

This might be a dumb one, but do you have to buy the insurance as you are booking your trip or can it be purchased at any point prior to?

You can purchase insurance at least until final payment, and in some cases until a few days before you leave. But in order to have "pre-existing conditions" covered, most policies require you to purchase the insurance within 10-21 days of your initial trip deposit. Many people think they don't have pre-existing conditions, but it may also apply to family members who are not traveling with you. My mom and in-laws are in so-so health, so I purchase the insurance within the 21 days required by Travelex. If you change your mind and cancel the cruise, the insurance can usually be transferred to a future trip.

You can purchase insurance at least until final payment, and in some cases until a few days before you leave. But in order to have "pre-existing conditions" covered, most policies require you to purchase the insurance within 10-21 days of your initial trip deposit. Many people think they don't have pre-existing conditions, but it may also apply to family members who are not traveling with you. My mom and in-laws are in so-so health, so I purchase the insurance within the 21 days required by Travelex. If you change your mind and cancel the cruise, the insurance can usually be transferred to a future trip.

Well I'm way beyond the 21 day timeframe but I don't think we'll have an issue with other family members having a medical issue.

But I guess it's time to suck it up and buy the insurance :o

Thanks for the info!

I really like the site insuremytrip.com, since you can easily compare policies. You can then go to websites for the various insurance companies for additional information. I always insure my trips since I have twice had unexpected family deaths (FIL, grandfather) occur days before planned trips. I have used cruiseline/ tour group insurance before, but since I am planning excursions and a land trip on my own, which require some deposits or full payment that will not be refundable if a last minute emergency occurs, I went directly with the insurance co for the Alaska trip and added an estimate of excursion costs to our trip cost. Just save all records of those expenses. The incremental increase in insurance cost was not that much, over the cost to insure the cruise. Another thing to consider is the health insurance included in the travel insurance. Most of us with private health insurance are fully covered out of country and don't need this, but Medicare recipients are not covered out of country. For my parents, we have always considered that when buying travel insurance and even bought a separate travel health insurance policy in addition to tour group insurance on a trip to Europe. We will only be in Canada for a couple of days but based on this, chose a more expensive policy for my parents to give them some extra health coverage. For us, it is well worth the peace of mind.

Do you mean that if say my mother dies from a heart attack and she's had heart surgery and I have to cancel..they could say it was a "Pre-existing" condition on her part? I sure hope not...my 21 days is WAY past!

That would indeed be a pre-existing condition. CSA (Freestyle Luxe) is one of the few companies I'm aware of that waives pre-existing conditions as long as you purchase the insurance within 24 hours of making your final payment. This is what CSA says about pre-existing conditions:

Pre-Existing Conditions

Pre-existing Condition means any injury, sickness or condition of the Insured or Traveling Companion, or Family Member for which within the 180 day period prior to the Insured's Effective Date under this Policy which (a) manifested itself, became acute or exhibited symptoms which would have caused one to seek diagnosis, care or treatment; or (b) required taking prescribed drugs or medicine, unless the condition for which the prescribed drug or medicine is taken remains controlled without any change in the required prescription; or © required medical treatment or treatment was recommended by a Legally Qualified Physician.

a Pre-existing Condition, as defined in this policy. The Pre-existing Condition Limitation does not apply to: (a) Emergency Medical Evacuation, Medical Repatriation and Return of Remains coverage, Accidental Death & Dismemberment (Coverage A and Coverage B), Baggage and Personal Effects. Baggage Delay, and Collision Damage Waiver; or (b) to coverage purchased prior to or within 24 hours of the final payment for the Covered Trip and if the Insured is medically able to travel when payment is made for the insurance;

Archived