For people that's sailed and left their kids behind

bubbles1209

This question is for people that have been on a cruise and left their kids behind when they went. We are going on Liberty next month the week of Valentines day. DD is staying behind with a friend of hers, what kind of form do I need to fill out giving them permission to have her medically seen about in case of an emergency? Have found all kinds of forms for taking a friend on a cruise without their parents, but none for this. Any help out there? I know she'll be fine, but I want to be thorough. You never know when something unexpected may come up.

I would be interested in knowing this also. My mom is watching my kids when we go away in June. I don't have to get any forms for my older son because he will be almost 19 by the time we cruise but my younger son will be 14.

We always do the same as Ali in Texas. Copies of insurance cards and drivers licenses and a notarized letter stating that person is responsible to make medical decisions on your behalf while in their care.

I have one of these types of notes from my daughter requarding my grandkids.... it goes something like this....

I,( her name) give (my name) permission to make any and all decisions requarding my children. ( all their names) Including any medical decisions and has permission to sign any forms on my behalf.

Then she signs and dates it. On the bottom of this letter she states the kids FULL name, birth date, known allergies, Doctors & Dentist's name and medical insurance info.

I have one of these for all 5 of my kids and their families. Things can happen anytime, not just when vacationing.

Hope this helps.

Happy cruising!

Hey bubbles, we live in evans and just wanted to say hello! As far as leaving the kids, we just write a medical consent form, don't know if that whould work or not, never had to find out but would hope so. Also we sent notes to teachers informing them as well.

i work for five doctors, what everyone says here is correct, notarized form stating that you give permission to someone to make medical decisions and authorize treatment for your children for the period of time that you will be gone, notarized, and a copy of insurance cards...even our friends from Sweden did the same thing when their daughter came to visit us for several weeks....luckily we have never had to use the ones we have had signed! Sure you won't either! Have a good trip!

Beverly

Sandi -

please take precautions for your son anyway. My brother was 24 when he was in a serious accident that left him comatose. Because he was over the age of 18 but NOT married, my mother had to get legal guardianship of him so that we could be sure the proper decisions would be made. Had he been married, we were told his wife would be able to make those decisions. He was in a "legal limbo" one of the nurses told us. One of those things you never know until you need to...

Sandi -

please take precautions for your son anyway. My brother was 24 when he was in a serious accident that left him comatose. Because he was over the age of 18 but NOT married, my mother had to get legal guardianship of him so that we could be sure the proper decisions would be made. Had he been married, we were told his wife would be able to make those decisions. He was in a "legal limbo" one of the nurses told us. One of those things you never know until you need to...

I'm very sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything turned out ok.

Do you think having the letter drawn up for my older son also will work?

This question is for people that have been on a cruise and left their kids behind when they went. We are going on Liberty next month the week of Valentines day. DD is staying behind with a friend of hers, what kind of form do I need to fill out giving them permission to have her medically seen about in case of an emergency? Have found all kinds of forms for taking a friend on a cruise without their parents, but none for this. Any help out there? I know she'll be fine, but I want to be thorough. You never know when something unexpected may come up.

I work for Child Protective Services (Investigate Child abuse & Neglect). in TN. I see things like this all the time. The best thing to have is a Power of Attorney Form. We have the forms and print them off for people everyday, and all they have to do is fill it out and have it notorized. I have found that sometimes a writen/typed note or letter will work IF it is notorized. Have fun on your cruise!

Use a Power of Attorney. Set specific times and limits within it and refer it only towards the child placing the person in temporary, revokable guadianship.

Make sure it is notarized.

And the point about Child Services having these forms ready made is good news, I would check with your local office. Government forms are normally the best.

And Living Wills have to be made by the adult they are for, not by their parents. Unfortunately, most states do not recognize Living Wills so it can still become an arguement (ie. Terry Shiavo). But it does give the family some idea of what the person wanted.

Hey bubbles, we live in evans and just wanted to say hello! As far as leaving the kids, we just write a medical consent form, don't know if that whould work or not, never had to find out but would hope so. Also we sent notes to teachers informing them as well.
Well hello neighbor! I'm from Grovetown, and work in Augusta and go shopping in Evans.....talk about going around your *** to get to your elbow:p I live closer to Fort Gordon's gate 2, so the worst I can do when I need to go shopping after work is make a full circle:p Nice to see someone so close to home

In addition to a notarized letter make sure to give the care giver a list of contact information including your itinerary, Carnival's phone number, a back-up caregivers phone number, closest relative's phone number, doctor and dentist's numbers, and the emergency room you would prefer. Make sure you also give them your DD's birth certificate, SS card and any other identification. I would describe any health problems your child has and list any allergies or reaction to medication. I would put it all in an envelope for the caregiver.

This is a good time to make sure your closest relative has an updated copy of your will and information about your life insurance. You have a much greater chance of being killed driving to work than on a flight or cruise but sometimes people need a reason to make sure their affairs are in order.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but in addition to a signed (notorization is not needed) temporary power of attorny (print one off the internet), you can also call your insurance company and let them know you will be out of the country from date a to date b and that you will be living your daughter in Mr and Mrs. such and such's capable hands. They make a note in the system of temp. custody, that way if anything happens, they can use THEIR driver's liscense to authorize care. I also leave spare insurance cards with my mom.

In addition to a notarized letter make sure to give the care giver a list of contact information including your itinerary, Carnival's phone number, a back-up caregivers phone number, closest relative's phone number, doctor and dentist's numbers, and the emergency room you would prefer. Make sure you also give them your DD's birth certificate, SS card and any other identification. I would describe any health problems your child has and list any allergies or reaction to medication. I would put it all in an envelope for the caregiver.

This is a good time to make sure your closest relative has an updated copy of your will and information about your life insurance. You have a much greater chance of being killed driving to work than on a flight or cruise but sometimes people need a reason to make sure their affairs are in order.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

already had all of that together, was one step ahead of ya there;)

We've left the kids behind before. We do the notes with insurance that you've seen in the other posts. (Kids are old enough to stay by themselves 22 to 13 years old) Since the 22 year old doesn't live at home anymore I make sure at least one other responsible adult is their anchor and will be there in an emergency and to check in now and then.

Since we live more than a thousand miles from our nearest relatives we also make sure we leave those contact phone numbers with them.

We also have horses (that are insured) and dogs. We also leave letters of consent should they need vet care and insurance information. We also have dollar limits in writing for the animals should they need emergency care with instructions to place an immediate call if the care will run more the X amount. (We do this so emergency care that could run $3000 or so is done immediately without waiting for an okay from us...anything above that could be an issue. But this way a horse won't die while they try to track us down. For the dogs we usually authorize care up to at least $1000 before we'd need to be contacted.) I learned to do all this from the place we used to board our animals. Now when the whole family cruises we have a young ranching couple that stays at our home and takes care of everything.

With the kids...there is no limit. If something happens the sky's the limit just get ahold of us asap.

My older son also has a copy of our will and I keep a very organized filing cabinet in the house that my two older son's are very aware of.

Yes, I'm a fatalist. I can conceive of everything that could absolutely go wrong...it never does, I just like to have my bases covered...then I can enjoy myself.

There was a point in time where my X lived in Cali and I was the only parent in state who could make medical descisions. It was prior to a trip when I wrote a memo to my kids' pediatrician to allow my best friend to seek medical treatment in my absence. I also gave her a copy of it and made it effective until their 18th birthday, or notification of change in writing.

This is a good idea to have on file with their Dr. regardless...

In the event of an accident, not even pain medication can be administered to a minor without parental consent. With cell phones as abundant as they are now, the chances of them not being able to reach me are slim. But you never know... I certainly wanted them to have as amny contact people, and numbers as possible.

Archived