AOS Cruises departing San Juan

This is my first time posting to any message board, and I appreciate any feedback you may have! My family is booked on a southern caribbean cruise departing San Juan in mid-May on AOS. I have read many reviews from cruise critic members regarding the disproportionate numbers of locals on this particular itinerary. This is apparently due to the fact that RCCL offers deep discounts and add'l perks to local Puerto Rican's when the ship is not full. Most of the reviews pertaining to this issue have been very negative in nature. Mainly, how rude and unruly they can be at the expense of other fellow cruisers!! Would love to hear comments from anyone who may have info regarding this issue!

This is my first time posting to any message board, and I appreciate any feedback you may have! My family is booked on a southern caribbean cruise departing San Juan in mid-May on AOS. I have read many reviews from cruise critic members regarding the disproportionate numbers of locals on this particular itinerary. This is apparently due to the fact that RCCL offers deep discounts and add'l perks to local Puerto Rican's when the ship is not full. Most of the reviews pertaining to this issue have been very negative in nature. Mainly, how rude and unruly they can be at the expense of other fellow cruisers!! Would love to hear comments from anyone who may have info regarding this issue!

Me, DW and another couple did this cruise in 2005 and had a great time.:)

Me, DW, and another couple did this cruise in 2005 and had a great time.:)

Me, DW, and another couple did this cruise in 2005 and had a great time.:)

Thanks for your reply Leslie! Would really appreciate any feedback you have when you return from your cruise. Have fun!!

We did the 'eastern' segment 1-1/2 yrs ago and did not notice any problems. It was a great cruise on a great ship. We booked the Aruba segment for next November and anticipate another great time.

we are also on the AOS in march...previous folks on this website have said that when the ship is not sold out that on the last week before saling they will release unsold cabins to some of the locals at a super low fee just to fill up the cabins...not sure if this would be an issue in feb and mach...since most of the ships are sold out in those months...san juan is not the easiest place to get to like miami or lauderdale and for some of us the price isn't as cheap either...i hope you havwe a wonderful trip...i read on one cruise last august there were almost 700 teenage girls on the AOS one week...

We did the cruise in April of 2006 and loved every minute of it.

It was our first crusing experience so we didn't really know what to expect but we would not have changed a thing. I would caution you to balance the opinions that you read here. It's a vast group of people and not eveyone is bothered by the same things.

DH and I would have fun in a mud puddle - some others - not so much so keep an open mind.

Again, we loved it.

Welcome to the boards..........

Heres a poll I posted to see if people would cruise AOS again after being on it.............a MAJORITY would............you can read their comments............This is a topic discussed over and over again.........

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=456867

Are you doing the Aruba itinerary or the other one?If you're doing the aruba one,read this.............http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464706

Has the Adventure been refurbished lately and have the new beds?

According to the staff, it had a mini update a couple of years ago when they added the Seattle's Best to the Prominade. We sailed on Adventure in December and the beds/bedding have not been changed as of yet.

To answer the OP question - there have been quite a few threads on the subject. Search by Adventure of the Seas and you'll see the range of opinions. If you wish to save time, the other posters on this thread have stated the most common refrain -

"had a great time - no troubles whatsoever!"

I would completely echo that opinion.

BRL

Lots of opinions about leaving from SJ. Its like going to Germany and complaining that there are to many Germans type thing for some people. Its just like any other cruise its a hit and miss who cruises with you, each will be different. Just have a great time, I know we will.:D

:mad: Here we go again! :mad:

My word of advice is to not pay attention to those posts complaining about Puertoricans on the cruise. The majority of these posts have been made by racist, ignorant people. I'm sure you will find your time on the AOS very enjoyable...just ignore the ignorant crap that people write around here.

There have always been a great mix of different nationalities on every cruise I've ever been on. Of course there were more Puerto Ricans on this cruise because that is where it left from, but I don't think that was a bad thing. Part of cruising is meeting different people from backgrounds different than yours and learning about their culture. Just have fun and enjoy yourself.

My wife and I had read so much about this so called "issue" prior to our honeymoon sailing of May 15, 2005 on AOS. In our case (IN MID MAY), the issue DID NOT EXIST. The makeup of nationalities was similar to all the other voyager class ships we had been on.

Archived