Price Drop ?

At what point do you start asking for a reduction in your cost? Do you have a cut-off? Say $50? Our price just dropped $30 for the first 2 passengers in the room, no drop for the second 2. Is it worth the effort to get the $60? If I do successfully get the reduction, what happens if the price drops again? I have seen some say that you can only get 1 price drop credit.

Thanks

We have received price drop reductions multiple times for a cruise. Is $60 worth it? It sure is to me! That $$ will help pay for an excursion! If the price drops again, you should get that price drop, too. (I think I got price reductions 3-4 times for our last cruise.)

Only you can decide when it is worth it to you.

Some things to think about though are who did you book with? If it is with the cruise line directly then the booking person doesn't lose any money in the form of commission, if with a TA then for a small reduction you are asking them to do more work AND give up part of their commission.

If you are using a TA you should, IMO offer to make up their lost commission if you ask them to do this extra work. (99% of them will not accept, but I promise you that the offer will go a long way to getting you great service whenever you use them.)

At what point do you start asking for a reduction in your cost? Do you have a cut-off? Say $50? Our price just dropped $30 for the first 2 passengers in the room, no drop for the second 2. Is it worth the effort to get the $60? If I do successfully get the reduction, what happens if the price drops again? I have seen some say that you can only get 1 price drop credit.

Thanks

Congratulations! Ask immediately. It might change again, or go away. I book direct, so I call myself, and have always got it. Took very little time or effort. I would spend 15 minutes time to save $60. A good TA if you are using a TA, will get the reduction for you. Multiple reductions are possible, but I wouldn't speculate on whether this will happen on your cruise. Who knows? As to whether RCI will only honor 1 price reduction, I don't know. Some opinions are that may be starting to happen because of the new wording on pricing (new bookings only), but in the past, multiples were given. While you are at it, might as well check the other cabin category prices. Something else might actually be better. Remember to check for other discounts if they apply to you, like resident, senior or military if offered.

Some things to think about though are who did you book with? If it is with the cruise line directly then the booking person doesn't lose any money in the form of commission, if with a TA then for a small reduction you are asking them to do more work AND give up part of their commission.

If you are using a TA you should, IMO offer to make up their lost commission if you ask them to do this extra work. (99% of them will not accept, but I promise you that the offer will go a long way to getting you great service whenever you use them.)

This is a good reason NOT to use a travel agent and book directly. I would take advantage of all price reductions regardless of whether or not you used a TA.

I would make the call for almost any amount (even if it involves a TA). I would expect any TA to handle the request as they would be hoping for future business from me. Refusal to handle such a request would have me using a different TA next time.

I booked directly with RC - via their website. Think I will give them a call. Thanks so much!

If you get someone who tells you that the reduction is for new bookings only, say, "Goodbye," and then call back to get someone else!

Let us know what happens.

RCCL: Hi....this is John, can I have your reservation #.

Cora: Yes...it is XXXXXXX.

RCCL: OK I have that pulled up, what can I help you with?

Cora: I see the price has gone down on this cruise since I booked in Nov.

RCCL: Yes it has gone down $30 per person for the first 2 passengers, I will adjust your account now, is there anything else I can help you with?

Cora: No, thank you.

RCCL: Have a nice evening.

Dang - that was easy!

RCCL: Hi....this is John, can I have your reservation #.

Cora: Yes...it is XXXXXXX.

RCCL: OK I have that pulled up, what can I help you with?

Cora: I see the price has gone down on this cruise since I booked in Nov.

RCCL: Yes it has gone down $30 per person for the first 2 passengers, I will adjust your account now, is there anything else I can help you with?

Cora: No, thank you.

RCCL: Have a nice evening.

Dang - that was easy!

Good job, Cora!

Archived