RCCL Diabetic Friendly?

Hi All,

I have a guest on an upcoming cruise (Mariner 1/14) who is diabetic. I've notified special needs that this is the case and they have noted in our "file" that this particular guest is diabetic. She does not take insulin shots, but will need sugar-free and low carb foods while on the cruise.

If you have any experience with RCCL's diabetic friendly dishes please let me know what we can expect. I'm worried that my guest will feel left out of all the lovely menu selections we usually have while cruising.

Thanks in advance.

DH is diabetic and on an insulin pump. Beware the wording in the menus. It has to say sugar-free to be sugar-free. Sometimes you skim over the words "lo-cal" and assume that means sugar free. On Vision there was always a sugar-free dessert available in Windjammer. DH has gone thru life without having dessert with his meals anyway so skipping dessert is no big deal for him. They always offer a couple of salad options in the Dining Room for lunch and dinner. Your friend will just have to make wise choices for her (skipping the sauces, dressings). The biggest obstacle for my DH was those Bahama Mama's!!

I have had diabetes for 38 years (Type 1) and have cruised with both RCCL and Carnival and have not had any problems getting what I needed. You have to make a point of knowing what you can and can't eat. They have "sugar free" dessert items but they are not always fat or carbohydrate free. Your friend should already know how to deal with their diabetes in any Restaurant and the cruise line is no different. Since they do not take insulin it is a little easier, I assume they test their blood glucose so you need to ask for a "sharps container". About 50% of the time I get one and the rest of the time I have to explain to the Steward what a sharps container is. I usually show them my test strips, lancets, and syringes and they suddenly remember what I am talking about as they do not want to see them laying around in the bathroom. Your friend should be able to make diet selections appropriate for them with little extra effort. Enjoy the cruise and make sure your friend brings the emergency supplies in their carry on bags (medication, lancets, test strips, BG meter, hypoglycemia treatments (candy or cookies), and any other things they may need.

Enjoy the cruise.

Mike

As a side note to Mike's reply. TSA does allow you to bring juice bottles through security. I had an 8 oz juice bottle packed in DH carry on and the TSA asked him about it and all he had to tell him was it was to treat his hypoglycemia. They also swabbed his insulin pump and put the swab in a spectrometer looking for traces of explosives, hand patted him down and wanded him over and over again! This was in LAX when we were flying back home.

My wife is Type II non-insulin and we had our first cruise Dec 06 (Explorer). We are reasonably well educated about food choices, and combining that knowledge with regular glucose testing guarantted success.

No problems whatsoever on board, however we have the ultimate weapon for shore trips ( and forgive me for mentioning this, but you'll notice that I have not provided personal contact info) and it's called Isagenix. We put 2 scoops of the meal replacement powder in a clear plastic bottle, took bottled water from the ship and mixed the two together when and if a healthy snack was needed.

This was critical as two tours we were on ran late and neither one included lunch. It also helped keep our energy levels high enough to sustain the physical acitivities we participated in.

Enjoy your cruise!

On the explorer they had plenty of fresh fruitts, vegies, and a wide selection of other foods plus sugar free desserts each day. I am not a diabetic but I tried the sugar free vanilla layer cake and it was excellent! Your friend can also check a section marked for special diets on her online RCCL reservation or request it be done by her TA as RCCL does give you choices a special diets. Have a great cruise! :)

My husband is a diabetic...we have traveled many times on Royal Caribbean...not only is he diabetic, but he also is on dialysis, so he requires a very special diet. We have NEVER had a problem...one of the chefs will occasionally even come to the table...everyone has been wonderful!

Enjoy your cruise.

Rev

Isagenix. We put 2 scoops of the meal replacement powder in a clear plastic bottle, took bottled water from the ship and mixed the two together when and if a healthy snack was needed.

For that matter, any powdered meal replacement would work. Not a bad idea. Thanks.

I assume they test their blood glucose so you need to ask for a "sharps container". About 50% of the time I get one and the rest of the time I have to explain to the Steward what a sharps container is. Mike

My first cruise as a diabetic is in 3 weeks and this is something I was wondering about. Thanks for mentioning it; I'll definitely ask for one.

DH is Type II - non-insulin and LOVES when we cruise. First, the availability of sugar-free desserts that he cannot find at home. He also says that it's up to the individual to know what they can and cannot have and to make wise choices. He usually just asks for an extra portion of veggies at dinner in place of the starch they're serving and maybe omitting a sauce or dressing, they happily will do that. He says it's easier for him to eat well on the ship than it is at home. Also, if the sugar-free treats aren't out - just ask. Again, everything in moderation!:)

Guest rfrenchbaxter
My wife is Type II non-insulin and we had our first cruise Dec 06 (Explorer). We are reasonably well educated about food choices, and combining that knowledge with regular glucose testing guarantted success.

No problems whatsoever on board, however we have the ultimate weapon for shore trips ( and forgive me for mentioning this, but you'll notice that I have not provided personal contact info) and it's called Isagenix. We put 2 scoops of the meal replacement powder in a clear plastic bottle, took bottled water from the ship and mixed the two together when and if a healthy snack was needed.

This was critical as two tours we were on ran late and neither one included lunch. It also helped keep our energy levels high enough to sustain the physical activities we participated in.

Enjoy your cruise!

You are right as a couple of others posted that have diabetes. WE also pack a soft cooler to take on excursions with us in case we want to pack some food. My DH and BIL are both diabetics and they have never had to much trouble managing their sugar. Sometimes being on vacation with all the food, drinks, some days more active than others their sugar levels tend to be high so they do have to adjust their insulin intake. We always call the cruise line at least 2 weeks before we leave to inform them of their special diet, we have never had any problems with them getting the appropriate food. They do tend to eat more though.

Guest rfrenchbaxter
As a side note to Mike's reply. TSA does allow you to bring juice bottles through security. I had an 8 oz juice bottle packed in DH carry on and the TSA asked him about it and all he had to tell him was it was to treat his hypoglycemia. They also swabbed his insulin pump and put the swab in a spectrometer looking for traces of explosives, hand patted him down and wanded him over and over again! This was in LAX when we were flying back home.

On that note also, all airlines also allow you to take two carry on bags with you.

My MIL is also a diabetic and we let our waiter know, and sometimes the kitchen will prepare something special without the sauce. We have had the chef come out and check on her. RCCl trys to work with anyone that has special dietary needs.

Rick

My five year old daughter has insulin dependent DM and has an insulin pump. RCI ALWAYS goes out of their way to make sure she has an EXCELLENT cruise. From the cabin steward (who made sure we always had emergency carb snacks in our cabin), to the AO staff who always gave us a pager, to our wait staff, everyone made sure that Rebecca was well cared for. We ONLY cruise RCI now because of the way they have handled my daughter's medical issue without making her feel any different than anyone else.

Hi All,

I have a guest on an upcoming cruise (Mariner 1/14) who is diabetic. I've notified special needs that this is the case and they have noted in our "file" that this particular guest is diabetic. She does not take insulin shots, but will need sugar-free and low carb foods while on the cruise.

If you have any experience with RCCL's diabetic friendly dishes please let me know what we can expect. I'm worried that my guest will feel left out of all the lovely menu selections we usually have while cruising.

Thanks in advance.

Thinking back on my cruise on Sovereign, I can't honestly say that it was particularly diabetic-friendly or unfriendly. I'm Type II, and control strictly by diet and exercise.

It's true that they do have at least one sugar-free dessert on the menu each night, and have what they call "ship-shape" menu options, but finding out the actual nutritional content (i.e. carbs, fats, proteins) of these items was a challenge at best. As you may know, an item can be sugar-free, yet full of carbohydrates, which is the real factor that diet-controlled diabetics try to monitor. While some of the sugar-free options were quite good, some (like the sugar free ice cream) tasted as though they didn't go through an awful lot of it.

There weren't a tremendous variety of sugar-free beverages available, either, so I stuck mostly to iced tea during the day and bottled water at night.

I had great success just by ordering the meals that appealed to me, controlling my own portion sizes, asking for extra vegetables, and doing a little extra exercise whenever I indulged. Taking the stairs from deck 2 to the Viking Crown and back can do wonders for a bit of cherry cobbler with real ice cream...mmmmmmm:D.

Hope your friend enjoys the trip!

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Thinking back on my cruise on Sovereign, I can't honestly say that it was particularly diabetic-friendly or unfriendly. I'm Type II, and control strictly by diet and exercise.

It's true that they do have at least one sugar-free dessert on the menu each night, and have what they call "ship-shape" menu options, but finding out the actual nutritional content (i.e. carbs, fats, proteins) of these items was a challenge at best. As you may know, an item can be sugar-free, yet full of carbohydrates, which is the real factor that diet-controlled diabetics try to monitor. While some of the sugar-free options were quite good, some (like the sugar free ice cream) tasted as though they didn't go through an awful lot of it.

There weren't a tremendous variety of sugar-free beverages available, either, so I stuck mostly to iced tea during the day and bottled water at night.

I had great success just by ordering the meals that appealed to me, controlling my own portion sizes, asking for extra vegetables, and doing a little extra exercise whenever I indulged. Taking the stairs from deck 2 to the Viking Crown and back can do wonders for a bit of cherry cobbler with real ice cream...mmmmmmm:D.

Hope your friend enjoys the trip!

I have type 2 diabetic and I always tell my headwaiter and he will bring the next nights menu for me to pick what I would like for the chef to fix for me IE' Low fat low carb and have alway been pleased with the meal.

So enjoy and be sure RCCL will take good care of you.

I have type 2 diabetic and I always tell my headwaiter and he will bring the next nights menu for me to pick what I would like for the chef to fix for me IE' Low fat low carb and have alway been pleased with the meal.

So enjoy and be sure RCCL will take good care of you.

Archived