Miracle: Stay on ship on Port Day?

We are sailing on the Miracle next month with our 2 kids ages 11 and 7. DH is going SCUBA diving in Belize and I am struggling with what to do with the kids that day. If we do an excursion, I would only do one through the ship due to tendering and the fact I will be alone with the kids - don't want to worry about being off in Belize by myself! But none of the excursions are jumping out at me - and a lot have age restrictions for my 7 year old anyway.

The kids do not want to go Cave Tubing so that is out. A beach day might be nice, but DD gets tired of too much sun after a while, so we would need some shade. I am thinking we might be better off staying on the ship for the day and just taking it easy. Has anyone done that before? Is there a lot to do? Are the pools open? I am definitely leaning that way, but would love to hear if others have done this and if you would do it again. Or, am I missing a great opportunity by not taking an excursion in Belize?

Thoughts?

You are right about Carnival having such low minimum age requirements. Looks the minimum age for a lot of the excursions is 8 years. I didn't realize this until I pulled out the shore excursions that I brought back from my cruise last month. The minimum age is 6 years for the Dolphin Encounter (4 hrs) that would be a wonderful excursion, but it's pricey at $115 for adults & $108 for child. Looks like the Bacab Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House (4 1/2 hr) would work at $49pp. It would be a shame for the kids to miss this part of your cruise experence. You really should find a excursion through the ship that the kids would like. If they are happy & not bored, bet you'll be happy.

I am thinking we might be better off staying on the ship for the day and just taking it easy. Has anyone done that before? Is there a lot to do? Are the pools open? I am definitely leaning that way, but would love to hear if others have done this and if you would do it again. Or, am I missing a great opportunity by not taking an excursion in Belize?

Thoughts?

I can speak for the Glory during our recent cruise. Pools are open when you are in port and this is when they are usually the least crowded. There are limited to no activities in Camp Carnival at this time but if your goal is to enjoy the pool and the ship with your kids then this is a great time. You will also find lower lines in the buffet when in port.

We stayed on board in Nassau with our family including 3 nieces/nephew and it was a great pool day :p

Can't speak to what you may be missing in Belize.

For kids, the tender ride to the dock and back will be an excursion in itself. And it is totally free.

Just take the tender to the dock, walk around and see the vendors for a few minutes, and ride back to the ship!

Due to the length of the tender ride, when you get back from that round trip, you will feel like you have really done something.

I think I'm leaning towards staying on the ship. We are planning on visiting ruins in Costa Maya since my husband won't be diving there. My kids are generally happy hanging out at the pool and I can probably manage to get a good lounge chair and read a book. Besides, this means I can sleep in and not have to rush to get to shore! It would be nice if there were things to do with the kids - but we can always find something. I wouldn't plan on sending them to Camp Carnival (unless they wanted to) but they usually play well together.

Is there an arcade on board? Or a movie theater? We were on the Disney Magic a couple years ago and they had both - another good option when the kids need to get out of the sun for a while.

For kids, the tender ride to the dock and back will be an excursion in itself. And it is totally free.

Just take the tender to the dock, walk around and see the vendors for a few minutes, and ride back to the ship!

Due to the length of the tender ride, when you get back from that round trip, you will feel like you have really done something.

Great idea!!!!!! I think we'll have to try that. Do the tenders run continuously throughout the day?

Yes on the arcade....but you know how that goes...cha-ching! They did have movies but if I recall they were all in the evening in one of the lounges. I'm pretty sure there weren't any during the day. Besides if the weather is cooperative and doesn't rain I say go for the ship day.

The ship is great to just hang around. Basketball court (if the kids are into that) can be a fun few hours as well.

Pull up a lounge chair and read a book and let them enjoy the pool. Then when you go over to the slide, the line should be short if any at all, and the kids can go down over and over and over again.

When they get hungry they can pig out on ice cream, pizza and fruit punch! Sounds like kid heaven to me!

We loved the Miracle and I'm sure you will too. have a great time.

Jan

I completely agree with "salty dingo".

This is not your ordinary tender to the pier. They do not use the ships tenders. They use high speed tenders from Belize. Some with as many as 3... 200+ hp. motors on them. The ride is worth it.

The pier is designed for the ships passengers. Lots of shops and right on the water. Spend an hour or two there and head back to the ship...throw the kids in the pool...grab a lounge chair and enjoy a boat drink....:D

DH and I did the Miracle for our honeymoon and decided to stay aboard the ship for our Belize port day. We loved it. DH still talks about how nice it was to have the boat to himself and to be able to sneak into an empty pool and hot tub in the morning. He loved it so much that on our Inspiration cruise later this month he asked if we could stay on board during the Grand Caymen stop.

If you want a really nice relaxing day, my vote is stay on board.

I stayed on board while DH and DS went horseback riding on one of the islands. I read my book, took a little nap and had a lazy lunch on board. It was wonerful. If your kds like to swim, this a perfect time to just relax and enjoy the pools that will won't be crowded. The pizza and ice cream are a great lunch, or even the buffet won't be crowded either. My vote would be make it a pool day.

I stayed on board while DH and DS went horseback riding on one of the islands. I read my book, took a little nap and had a lazy lunch on board. It was wonerful. If your kds like to swim, this a perfect time to just relax and enjoy the pools that will won't be crowded. The pizza and ice cream are a great lunch, or even the buffet won't be crowded either. My vote would be make it a pool day.

Take a small set of Dominos or they can play Uno if the wind isn't bad. They is an overhang they can sit under to get out of the sun. Print off some coloring sheets off the internet and grab a couple sets of those free crayons next time you are at a resturant.

I have found in the past that the camp will let you check out games - haven't tried it in many years - but that worked good for us - since we didn't have to lug them on. There is plenty for them to keep entertained - especailly if they play well together.

Another option is a trip to the zoo with Gilbert Young. (Everyone calls him Gilly) He is one of the license tour operators allowed "inside the fence".

You don't have to pre-plan or make a reservation. He has a kiosk at a restaurant called the "Wet Lizard" (inside the fence) at the port ~~to the right as you get off the tender.

Two things that I have stressed with Gilly is that cruisers want to know that they are safe and they will get back to the ship on time.

Anyone wanting to take a tour of ruins that required a long travel distance from the port, I always recommend they stay with a ship tour. But tours around town can be done by a licensed tour operator. Even then I would only use one that is allowed "inside the fence".

Cruising has shown our boys many different ways of life over the years that they have sailed with us. It does seem a shame to have so much for the children to see and not be able to.

Sadly, Belize is still in the developing stage. The people there are desparate to make the money while the ships are there and because they are so poor, that causes them to be more aggressive than tourists are comfortable with.

Gilly and other tour operators are working hard to try to get that point across to the general population, but until that happens.... I would not leave the fenced area without a ship or independent tour.

Our youngest son is a special needs child, so hubby and oldest son do all the adventureous stuff and youngest son and I have always found other things to do in port.

Ultimately, you know what you are comfortable doing. The main thing is to have a great time!!

Thanks everyone! That settles it - a pool day it is!!!!! It sounds like a perfect day to me. And I know my kids will be thrilled to have the pool to themselves (so to speak)!

Now... to find a good book!

But wait til they see the speed boats............:eek: :D

Archived