Can you cruise with no planning?

serene56

I'm enjoying the planning aspect of our first cruise so much, that I don't think I would like to try it any other way. At least not yet.

Without planning, any excursions would most likely be done through Carnival, which from everyone's input on these boards would not be as great an experience. Also, they would have cost much much more $.

But... we are doing one of our ports of call , Costa Maya, on a see-what-happens basis. None of the excursions semmed 'wow' to us, so we're just gonna go ashore and see what we end up doing.

Maybe in future cruises there would be much less planning, but I've no reason to complain, as I am having a ball surfing the web and finding out everything there is to know about the places we will go.

Being a business owner, the only "planning" I do is try to strategically from time to time find a "window" when I can be away for a week and everything won't go to hell ! !

As a result, I'm a spur-of-the-moment cruiser (usually book my passage 5-6 days before the cruise).

Last October I saw that window (it creates a warm fuzzy feeling :D ) , jumped on all my online sites looking for a bargain. Thought a cruise on the VICTORY would be nice, rounded up some SOLO pricing, called my online agent and asked about the VICTORY. He said, "Sure, VICTORY has great pricing right now, but wouldn't you like to cruise on the new GLORY, only $604 SOLO for everything?" Bingo ! ! I couldn't get my cc out fast enough. Received confirmation within 5 minutes via e-mail. Quickly jumped over to SIDESTEP , got a last minute red-eye flight to Orlando(got an e-ticket instantly) the night before the cruise and I was set ! Then, I proceeded to figure out where does this puppy go. Key West, fine. Cozumel (have been there but loved it), Progresso (never heard of it, but that part alone would be interesting), Belize (reportedly, the armpit of the world, but oh well).

Did the same thing this May. Saw that beautiful "window" emerge. Online for 20 minutes, Made that call. No air. 5 days later I drove to the port in 45 minutes and boarded the PRIDE(got a bitchin upgrade too 1A to a 5A ). I'd done this itinerary 8 times previously so this was just a relaxing, getaway cruise for me. Have all kinds of people I like to look up when in the Mexican Riviera ports - planning not necessary.

Packing? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I have a tiny men's toiletry kit that is always "loaded" with small versions of my favorite toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, cologne, toothbrush, condoms (one never knows :D) Just sitting there ready to GO ! ! I always have a dry-cleaned suit and sport jacket along with 4 or 5 dress shirts freshly laundered with starch and folded just waiting for this "window". I usually pack an hour before going to the airport. Throw all of this along with a dozen shorts, underwear, socks and laptop puter and camera into 2 roll-ons and I'm OFF ! ( I hate planning :mad: ).

I'm now searching progress schedules on my projects looking for a "window" to either do Alaska in Sept. or the lower Mexican Riviera later when she repositions to LA. So I guess, in a sense, all my planning is done up front working on the "getaway". :D

God, I love this game. A mixture of online savvy, business juggling, love of cruising with a ton of STRATEEGERY. :D Never a dull moment.

I'm impressed Gary! :D I only hope that one day I will get the courage to avoid all the planning and preperation and just take off on a spur of the moment cruise. With work, when a disaster strikes in CA (and it seems to happen to often), I'm always available with only a moments notice to take off to where ever the disaster may be. So, who knows, maybe I will find a great deal before the cruise planned 18 months from now and even get the courage to go solo. ;)

Hi everyone, When I took my frist cruise Jan./01 with my friend, the only thing I did was book early. I read some library books about ports of call;did not have a computer/did not know about cruise msg.boards.We did book a ships tour for GCayman for stingrays, but did not get into port because of water conditions. Instead we did a lame ships tour-went on a catamaran with snorkeling, and went to a beach with them. Should have did the Palancar Reef snorkel ships tour instead, but thought it would be too hard(it said Intermediate Level) Now that we have booked our family cruise I will probably NOT do a ships tour- too $$$ for the 4 of us.I will definitely be very careful about choosing as well as making it back on time to the ship.

I love planning, reading etc. I think I will have more fun this time being my second cruise as I kind of know what to do/look for etc. from these msg. boards!!!!

As everyone does say though- I could leave tomorrow on a cruise with NO planning!!!!

Hi Kathy!!

Not sure GF and I could plan a cruise or any lengthy vacation on the spur of the moment between kids and work.

But we have planned a few long weekends on a days notice.

A few years ago I went to work on a Monday morning, heard about a great deal to Vegas from a co worker , and was checked into the Mirage on Thursday night. All the way there on the plane we kept saying "I can't believe we are doing this" *LOL*

GF travels for business semi regularly so she is a whiz at the kind of packing and planning that Gary just described. I am learning slow but sure :)

I love the planning stages of all the vacations we take. We just got back from a land vacation that covered 3 seperate cities. I had prepared folders in advance for each city w/maps, brochures etc. in each. As we left each city, that folder got put away & the next one came out. Made things so much easier. Just yesterday I went shopping at our local Kaufmann's having a 75% off sale & bought 3 dresses, 2 skirts, 2 tops & 1 slacks all for $65. When I got home I packed them in my suitcase. Not leaving until November!

To that OP that says excursions may be too expensive, depending on the island you are visiting, rent a car. That is an inexpensive way to leisurely tour the island & see all the wonderful scenery. We did that in St. Maarten & plan to do that on our trip to Cozumel. 102 days & counting

I dont know if i can go on a spur of the moment vacation. Although I would love to try..lol.

I really thank you all for your input. Not sure if I want to plan or not anymore. Cruise isnt until February. (one in OCt is going nowhere so there really isnt planning to be done for that one.)

Guest Time2gocruzn

We are cruising on a tight budget, so most of the reason I plan is to save $$, I have learned SO MUCH, by reading this board, and researching these ports. I have made choices of activities that are best for my family and my budget. I feel like if I wait till to try and figure out what is best for us to do, until I am on the ship, I won't have enough information to make good decisions, KWIM? If I choose something that turns out to be a bad activity for us, I have wasted valuable vacation time and money. Just because I plan doesn't mean I will loose the point of my vacation, it means I will enjoy it that much more, because we are doing the things we will enjoy the most.

Now, don't get me wrong, If I was handed a ticket right now, I wouldn't turn it down because I didn't have the chance to plan. I would be OUTTA HERE! lol! :D

Sirene,

I'm like you. I like to plan ahead, and know what my options are before I pull into port. Besides, planning is half the fun! (and makes the time between cruises go by a lot faster;-)

Since I have been to most of the Caribbean islands at least a couple times, (any many of them several times) I find this board to be a wealth of information when wanting to see something new. It's nice to see others opinions of various attractions, and destinations. And looking at webshots provides some GREAT insight to what it's really like at some of these places.

Since the time in each port is somewhat limited, I like to moake the most of my time, and do & see as much as I possibly can. For instance, I just booked the Miracle for next Feb, and have already put together an itinerary for myself for each port of call based solely off information I've gathered from the cc board & webshots. Everything I'll be seeing, and doing this trip will be a first time for me, and I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It's almost like going on my first cruise again:-)

I think planning ahead allows you to make the most of your time, but I always go with an open mind. Should there be some inclimate weather, or if I meet someone I'd like to spend some time with, I'll just go with the flow.

I usually print information I find online, and take it with me. That way I have all the info about each port of call at my fingertips, but can still "go with the flow" should that be how I'm feeling that particular day:-)

Archived