What electronic devices will work aboard ship?

carolej126

Hi carolej126,

Any electrical devices will work on board. The only thing you should NOT take is an iron. They are prohibited on all cruise lines.

If you're going to bring a lot of things that need to be plugged in, be sure to bring a power strip. Usually there's only one outlet in the cabin.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Radios are useless to bring because you're not going to get any kind of reception when you're in the middle of the ocean.[/quote

Actually, I always bring my small Grundig AM/FM/shortwave radio when we cruise. I get reception from all kinds of stuff when we are far out at sea. Quite interesting to listen to. In addition, while in port you can listen to what the locals listen to.

AM (especially on the skip at night), and shortwave will definitey work, XM and Sirius to some degree. PDA's, laptops, and such can connect to the Wi-Fi hot spots onboard ship, portable dvd players and portable game machines of course will work, game systems that you hook up to the TV are questionable, since you'd have to disconnect the ship's cable and connect through that jack. Hope that helps some.

I was referring to your run-of-the-mill radios and not any specialty radios. My Sirius did not work at all in the Caribbean unless we were very close to port. I don't know why that was, but reception on Sirius was really bad.

Archived