Going on own to Tulum

JWT

My wife and I are on Splendour of the Seas into Cozumel Feb 19th. We dock at 7am and sail at 7pm. We would like to visit the ruins at Tulum. We could also do a bit of swimming at the beach while we are there? Not too worried about going it alone, taking the ferry and riding the collectivo etc.

What advice can you give us as this will be our first time in Cozumel? Do we hire a car or chance the collectivo/local transport?

Thank you for your help.

My wife and I are on Splendour of the Seas into Cozumel Feb 19th. We dock at 7am and sail at 7pm. We would like to visit the ruins at Tulum. We could also do a bit of swimming at the beach while we are there? Not too worried about going it alone, taking the ferry and riding the collectivo etc.

What advice can you give us as this will be our first time in Cozumel? Do we hire a car or chance the collectivo/local transport?

Thank you for your help.

Cozumel is an island, therefore, you would have to take a ferry to the main land and then from there find your way to Tulum. The problem I foresee is getting a cab from Tulum back.

Cozumel is an island, therefore, you would have to take a ferry to the main land and then from there find your way to Tulum. The problem I foresee is getting a cab from Tulum back.

Considering all the connections you'd have to make, I would be very nervous about going to Tulum from Cozumel on my own. We went last Sept. but did the Carnival excursion. We spent quite a bit of time in transit, first the tender boat to Playa del Carmen, then the bus ride to Tulum. The entire excursion lasted over 7 hours, and I feel sure we were at Tulum no more than 2 hours.

As for Tulum itself, it was beautiful and very interesting. A good tour guide is a must, though. Otherwise, you have no way of knowing anything about what you're looking at. There is a lot of walking and hill climbing to be done, so it is fairly physical. Very few shade trees and places to sit. The beach is absolutely beautiful! But you have to walk down/up quite a long set of stairs. I don't know your age or physical condition, but I thought it would be a good idea to warn you about the physical aspect of it. I highly recommend going, but I'm skeptical about going on your own. Why not book through the cruise line?

I always book excursions on my own but going to Tulum from Cozumel is one that I paid extra for from the cruise line. There are so many factors involved in getting from Cozumel, to the main land, to the ruins, and back that I would not suggest you attempt it on your own. I know it seems like you have a lot of hours, but you sure dont want to get stuck if something comes up along the way.

I always book excursions on my own but going to Tulum from Cozumel is one that I paid extra for from the cruise line. There are so many factors involved in getting from Cozumel, to the main land, to the ruins, and back that I would not suggest you attempt it on your own. I know it seems like you have a lot of hours, but you sure dont want to get stuck if something comes up along the way.

Thanks to family cruzer, grits 53 and foreigner. Appreciate your advice. We are concerned about the connections so may well stay on Cozumel, enjoy the atmosphere and on our next trip arrange to stay on the mainland and venture in to see the ruins. We are both fit and run around a lot so the walking is appealing. Just the chance we may run into delays and then the walk to the next port may be too far :eek: .

Cheers

You know - since you really do have all day you might just go ahead and do it. Try arranging a cab to come back and pick you up at the appropriate time. I believe the Collectivo runs all the time on the main highway so it wouldn't be unreasonable that you couldn't catch it (in fact if you take it from playa just ask the driver). Tulum has security and different folks that I'm sure can help you.

There are ruins on Cozumel that you could easily get to in a day with either a car rental, taxi, or private tour. I booked a private taxi for 5 hours at the rate of $95 that will take my family anywhere we want to go and the ruins are one of the stops we plan to make.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cozumelruins?From=Reefs

Thanks familycruzer, FishermanJim and vermonter16,

Appreciate the information and sound advice. We will play it by ear and see how things lie when we are on the island. Cozumel sounds too good to miss this time around, especially as there are so many things to see. We may grab a taxi and travel around the island (see the ruins there). We are experienced travelers and are not afraid to take everything in our stride, grab the local rides, chat with locals and generally take the day as we find it, so Tulum is not off the radar if we exit the boat easily and the ferry is on time.

Anyway, the trip will be a blast either way we go.

Thanks again for your support. Best wishes to all on yr travels.

Jim and Wendy

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to go to Tulum on your own.

Rental car companies are located close to the ferry dock in Playa del Carmen. I would suggest you find one before you leave that has the full coverage insurance included in the price. This would avoid any delays in your turning in the car.

It is an easy drive to Tulum, going down 307 I believe it is. The road goes down the back side of all the A/I resorts. Two hours is plenty of time to see it, including the ride down to the ruins from the parking lot and back to your car. There is also a nice little mercado at the area where you park the car. T-shirts, cold drinks, Typical Mexican stuff.

You would probably have enough time for a nice snorkel, or swim at some place like Akumal or in the Yal Kul (sp) lagoon.

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time on the back end for the trip back by ferry.

my 2 cents.

Hugh

Hugh,

Thanks for your advice. I believe that time is on our side (12hrs) and doing your own thing is worth the excitement, maybe go for a swim or just explore a little off the beaten track while at Tulum.

Being flexible will give us some options, and if we do not want to travel off the island we can just stay on Cozumel and enjoy what the island has to offer.

I am sure we will have a great time, whatever we decide. It is just great to hear from others who may have traveled to this part of the world before.

Appreciate the help.

Jim

From there you can rent a car and visit Chichen and Tulum rather than risk missing the ship.

Have to agree that a flight in/out is on the cards for another trip. I certainly want to visit Chichen Itza and we are not keen on missing the boat this time around.

Thanks

I did the trip on my own with another fluent Spanish speaking woman and we had no problems at all. The problem that we did run into, was purely our fault and not watching the clock well enough. (find my other posts if you're interested in the full story....) :)

If you are experienced travelers wtih 12 hours of time on your hands, then DEFINATELY go !!! It's worth every bit of it....... I believe I posted pictures in another thread here....

Just make sure you know the EXACT schedule for the Playa del Carmen ferry BEFORE you leave for Tulum. It runs ALMOST hourly, but not quite.

We almost missed getting back to the Conquest last year, because the ferry didn't run at 4pm that day, eventhough the schedule said it did...

Just make sure you know the EXACT schedule for the Playa del Carmen ferry BEFORE you leave for Tulum. It runs ALMOST hourly, but not quite.

We almost missed getting back to the Conquest last year, because the ferry didn't run at 4pm that day, eventhough the schedule said it did...

Joe - Thanks for the heads up. How was the Splendour. We sail her on Feb 17th out of Galveston, calling at Cozumel and Costa Maya. Any tips for first time cruisers. My wife and I are energetic and love to run around the islands etc. No problems meeting and chatting with locals etc. We would like to snorkel and enjoy as much as we can cram in. We have talked to Ivan Cohuo in Costa Maya and plan to go with them to the ruins at Chacchoben, then for a dive in the ocean. If this works out, then we would more than likely stay on Cozumel and visit Tulum and Chichen Itza next year.

Thanks for your advice.

Jim

I did the trip on my own with another fluent Spanish speaking woman and we had no problems at all. The problem that we did run into, was purely our fault and not watching the clock well enough. (find my other posts if you're interested in the full story....) :)

If you are experienced travelers wtih 12 hours of time on your hands, then DEFINATELY go !!! It's worth every bit of it....... I believe I posted pictures in another thread here....

Traci - sounds like a lot of fun and worth the visit from the pictures we have seen. My wife and I just talked with Ivan in Costa Maya and may head for the Chacchoben ruins this time and catch Tulum, Chichen Itza next year. We will play it by ear and see what happens. If the weather is decent and timing is not a problem, we may set off for the mainland and see how far we get.

Thanks for your advice.

Jim

Joe - Thanks for the heads up. How was the Splendour. We sail her on Feb 17th out of Galveston, calling at Cozumel and Costa Maya. Any tips for first time cruisers. My wife and I are energetic and love to run around the islands etc. No problems meeting and chatting with locals etc. We would like to snorkel and enjoy as much as we can cram in. We have talked to Ivan Cohuo in Costa Maya and plan to go with them to the ruins at Chacchoben, then for a dive in the ocean. If this works out, then we would more than likely stay on Cozumel and visit Tulum and Chichen Itza next year.

Thanks for your advice.

Jim

By the way, my initials are JWT also!

I really enjoyed the Splendour. Has to be one of the friendliest crews afloat. I didn't enjoy the food as much as the Carnival Conquest I took earlier in the year, but that can be subjective and a personal preference. Only problem with the Splendour was that the trip was too short!

Best tip I can offer is to read the RCL and ports of call threads here on cruisecritic, which your already doing, so your ahead of the game....

Your love the Chaccobean ruins. We did that then spent several hours at the Cats Meow in Mahajual. I'll be back in Mahajual in less then 2 months and I can't wait to start sipping on one of those fishbowl ritas! Wished I had purchased a Mayan sundial while at the ruins and didn't do it, plan to correct that mistake soon! Also, be sure to get some authentic mayan ice cream in the wheeled cart at the ruins entrance, the vanilla was fabulous!

Just make sure you know the EXACT schedule for the Playa del Carmen ferry BEFORE you leave for Tulum. It runs ALMOST hourly, but not quite. We almost missed getting back to the Conquest last year, because the ferry didn't run at 4pm that day, even though the schedule said it did...

We had the same thing happen when leaving for the main land to get to the airport after a land stay. They just decided to skip an hour. Didn't matter the sign had it scheduled. Just got to go with the flow when in Mexico :D

We had the same thing happen when leaving for the main land to get to the airport after a land stay. They just decided to skip an hour. Didn't matter the sign had it scheduled. Just got to go with the flow when in Mexico :D

Thanks Melody, sounds like life will be flowing in Cozumel. Looking forward to relaxing as you said - going with the flow.:)

Jim

Archived