Noordam - February 28

I'll be traveling from Boston by train to Penn Station and then "cabbing" it to HAL's pier. Has anyone done this? I don't think the distance from the station to the pier is very long. I feel more secure taking the train than flying in February--the snow must be on its way sometime this year!

Living and working in Manhattan, the pier (12th & 55th) is a trek from Penn (34th & 7th). The cab depending on time of day depends on how much it'll cost. During the week in rush hour and midday is more expensive than on the weekends. I would say make sure you have $20 on you in case of snow, charges for your baggage and time of day.

Good Luck!

It will cost more to do a train than the HAL Hometown Motorcoach but if its snowing the day you travel, even though it won't impact the train, it will impcat the cabs in NYC too. Worst is that you have to heft your suitcases 20 blocks. I just watched a report on NBC from the folks at NOAA; we have a strong El Nino winter which is likely to keep the possibility of snow down. Good luck.

What a coincidence!! We are also sailing on the Nooordam Feb 28th but we are taking the train from Rte 128. We are concerned about the snow too so we going down the day before and staying overnight at a hotel in Times square.

We had originally booked Jet Blue to JFK. We kept hearing about the traffic into Midtown and we decided it might be fun to take the train. Originally it cost more to take the train but HAL booking number gets a 25% discount and we can get a get a ride to the train station easier than into Boston. Also none of all that security.

We will be taking a cab to the hotel and the next morning we have transfers to the ship. Still working out how to get to the train after the cruise. Transfers only go to JFK so will probably take a cab again.

Have you checked in at the Noordam rollcall yet? I think we are up to about 12 so far.

Hope to see you onboard. Ann

I just received an offer from Holland America for the Noordam's NY sailings. They offer motor coach service from Boston as well as other cities in the northeast from $49 pp. We are thinking of taking the Feb 28th cruise since we live about 40 miles from the port and they have a great offer. Hope this helps.

For those taking the train, please keep in mind that you will have to handle your luggage yourself since there is little or no help available. You will need to get your luggage up the steps (or escalator) and then up additional steps/escalator's to get a taxi. If you can't manage your luggage yourself, you may want to rethink this option.

Changed our minds again.

Taking the train sounded like it would be fun. Since we have already paid for transfers and hotel we would be loosing a lot of money. Maybe if we plan another cruise out of New York we can do it.

Back to our original plan of flying to JFK.

Thanks for the info though. Ann

Archived