Carribean Princess Internet w/Laptop

GRAYTech

We were in a suite on CB so I checked on this.

The "free" internet is ONLY for the internet center permanent terminals. If you use your laptop wirelessly, you will pay for that use.

As a result, I used the internet center only. Never a problem getting a terminal - I didn't consider this a big inconvenience. Of note, there is a long hallway with 5 terminals not visible when you enter the room. Go along the wall all the way to your right and you will see it. Only downside was that on our cruise, 3 of these terminals were not working.

How much was the cost for hooking up you lap top

for those of us not in the suites

I am curious about the charge and if you could use your lap top in your room

the last ship i was on had unllimited access on a dial up for $100 for the week

and per minutes charge for

thanks

Wayne

dsfitz, when were you last on the CB? I just want to check so I don't give the wrong answer.

I was on the CB in December and they switched service. You no longer swiped your card, you just pre-paid for a certain number of minutes. (or paid a lot to pay minute to minute)

I am platinum and the person in the room just said to pick the most (i don't remember how much) for $100. It was charged to my room and then refunded the next day.

I was then able to use my laptop in the atrium and it just counted down the minutes the same as if I was in the internet cafe on their machine. I am pretty sure that I had no extra charge to my account for that atrium use.

They also said you were charged 50 cents a page of printing and I was never charged (and I printed about 100 pages of stuff for a pool that I was running).

One note: Princess blocks the IP address from your computer so even though I was on my company laptop, I was not able to VPN into my company. My company won't even give me the log in window for VPN if it doesn't recognize the IP address. (techies, be kind to my explanation)

Anyone use their wireless in the atrium and not get charged?

How much was the cost for hooking up you lap top

for those of us not in the suites

I am curious about the charge and if you could use your lap top in your room

the last ship i was on had unllimited access on a dial up for $100 for the week and per minutes charge for

thanks

Wayne

I believe the Internet access is $.50/minute although I've seen that at least on some ships, there is a "package" deal. You can use your laptop in your cabin but you won't be able to connect with the internet there -- the wireless internet access is available only in the Atrium or the Internet Cafe.

Again, I was in a suite, not a Platinum so not sure about if there is a difference there. I asked at the internet center and was told that the wireless laptop access was not free even if you are in a suite, you had to use the internet center. Perhaps I was misinformed, this was the December 10 sailing.

The charges are 250 minutes for $100 ($0.40/minute), 100 minutes for $55 ($0.55/minute), or $0.75/minute for pay as you go. There is also a $3.95 hookup charge for the first time. All of this is credited back to you if you are in a suite. Also, the printing charges were credited back to you.

And the wireless doesn't extend to the cabins, just certain common areas.

• 1 month later...

One note: Princess blocks the IP address from your computer so even though I was on my company laptop, I was not able to VPN into my company. My company won't even give me the log in window for VPN if it doesn't recognize the IP address. (techies, be kind to my explanation)

Agreed on the blockage of VPN - a huge issue IMHO. Not sure why they'd be blocking the IP. It's also possible that they could be blocking some ports in the firewall or router. I can't imagine why they would.

I was on the Caribbean Princess the week of Feb. 4th, a few weeks ago.

The Internet charge was an initial $3.95 setup charge for everyone, then you could either pay by the minute at $0.75 per minute or you could buy a 200 minute package for I think $80 ( .40 per minute) , or a 100 minute package for $55 ( .55 per minute) which is the one I went with.

It costs the same whether you use their computers or your own laptop. No Internet access in your cabin. You either have to use the Internet Cafe or your own laptop in the atrium area. Elite members get some free Internet time, but not unlimited like in the past. But it still is a good amount of minutes. Elite members only get the free Internet in the Internet Cafe, not on their own laptops.

I hope this helps.

Archived