Cell phone service on Century?

gbfan06

Hi everyone! I'm looking at an opportunity to take a last-minute cruise on the Century later this month (Western Caribbean) but I first need to find out if I can use my cell phone (Sprint) while we're at sea. If anyone has any experience with this situation, I would greatly appreciate you help. Thanks!

I just disembarked Century yesterday. When not in port, Century definitely utilizes CellularAtSea technology. It works flawlessly with Cingular. I believe others have said it works with Sprint, but I cannot guarantee. It may just work with GSM phones. I think there are a few threads out there on this. You might also search Royal Caribbean threads. They use the same technology. You WILL have to make sure you call and have your phone "unlocked" for global roaming. This doesn't cost anything. It is just there to protect the average person from mistakenly dialing from international locations (or receiving calls) without knowing the rammifications.

I was on Century 12/30 to 1/4 and it worked fine for GSM and CDMA (Verizon) phones. International Roaming rates apply. Your phone will probably be in "Roaming" mode while at sea.

Make sure you have International Service on your phone before you leave. Call your service provider and have that service added to your phone, if it's not already on it. There is usually no charge for it.

Your rates for usage will vary, depending on provider, but don't expect it to be "included" in your free minutes. The charge will be more like $3.50/minute.

Take care,

Mike

Archived