Snorkeling in Chankanaab

FamilyofFourtoAlaska

We are going to be in Cozumel in March and have booked the Royal Dolphin Swim at noon (we will be in port from 8-6). I can't see where to pre-book snorkeling, so assume you just rent the equipment there and go on your own. Since this will be spring break, should we try to snorkel before or after our Dolphin Swim? How crowded does Chankanaab get at spring break?

Hi FamilyOf Four,

I can't help with all your questions. I can tell you that you do not have to pre-book snorkeling. There is a small lagoon inside Chankaanaab that you can swim and snorkel.

We were there in the month of May 05' and it was not crowded. We actually went snorkeling before and after our dolphin swim.

Hopefully someone can answer about the equipment rentals, because we took our own, though I'm sure you could rent it.

Hope some of this helps, have fun with the Dolphins, its a blast. We will be doing it again in May (my 3rd time).

We were there last Thursday and did the Royal Swim. It was over too quickly, but we had an absolutely spectacular time. My wife couldn't wipe the smile off her face. Be sure to keep your legs straight and raise you hands way up on the foot push: One guy in our group was out of the water all the way down to his ankles! Check on the availability of the packages before you leave. Package 4 includes the Royal Swim, a sea lion show, a sea lion encounter and the park admission ($16/ea, though there was a discount coupon available), and it's not much more than the Royal Swim. And take a disposable waterproof camera. I had a large digital in an underwater housing and it was way too cumbersome.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/VRRoom/Cozumel/CozumelDolphinDiscovery.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/VRRoom/Cozumel/CozumelDolphinDiscovery019.jpg

And don't miss the archaelogical park and garden:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/VRRoom/Cozumel/Chankanaab028.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o175/VRRoom/Cozumel/Chankanaab032.jpg

Oh, and for the noon swim, you'll need to be completely ready at 11:30 or a little before, because they'll take you upstairs to show you a movie about how it all works. And after the swim, they'll try to sell you a $50 DVD and some very expensive pictures. They look good, but not THAT good.

What is the difference between Royal swim and regular swim? Were these packages from the ship or the Dolphin place? My daughter 9 wants to go so I will go with her I thought the regular swim snorkel would be sufficient. Is it worth the extra $50 each to get pushed up by your feet? Thanks :)

Hello thanks for the pictures. We were there for the Royal Swim in August 2004 and loved it. I am glad to see the Park recovered since the hurricane. We bought the pictures that were offered - they came out great- My daughter wanted to use her's for her high school graduation the following year she was so happy with it. Our faces on the swim said it all. What an experience. By the way to answer someone elses post. We booked it through the website Dolphin Discovery and it was cheaper than the cruise ships prices as most excursions are. By for now.

We just returned from W. Carrib. and loved Chankanaab! The snorkeling was out of this world right off the beach. NOte it is a sandy beach, but not all the way to the water, you actually step down a few rock steps into the water. then just watch the beautiful fish come to you! We did the Dolphin Adventure or swim/snorkle and it was the most thrilling thing I have ever done. I can't answer whether it would have been worth $50 to upgrade to the Royal Swim. We had tried to book the Royal and they were fully booked months in advance. We were lucky to get the remaining spots we did. I woudl say it depends on how adventurous you are. As I said, our swim was thrilling, but the Royal looked a bit scary to some of us - though I am sure we would have loved it once we did it. we had the experience of riding the dolphin on her belly and that was amazing. Family who had gone last year told us their one regret was not buying the video and pics, so we did and I am glad. The quality is amazing. But be sure to allow plenty of time. The only stressful part of our trip was waiting for the video and pics to be ready and still having to catch a taxi back to our ship. We just had not realized how long the photos would take. Our Swim was at 2:00 and we left the park about 4:30. Have fun!!! I can't wait to go back just to have more time to snorkle.

My then 5 y/o granddaughter and I did the dolphin encounter, just touching no swimming and loved it. We were there in March '03 and booked at the park, check their web site.

You can rent snorkeling equipment, but we bought our own and have used it since. The snorkeling was great and the fish were amazing. Buy an underwater camera, you will regret not having it if you don't. Remember to buy it before you leave and put it in your carry-on, as the machines used for checked luggage will fry your film.

Have a great time I will be there in a month!!! And I will be snorkeling.

We also ate at the beach restaurant, very good and no Montezuma's Revenge:D !!!

Thanks for all the great info! I think I will look into getting snorkeling equipment for my crew. It will probably fit better than the rentals. We are in port from 8-6 and our Royal Swim is booked for 12:00, so we can probably just see how it goes timewise. Good to know that the pics take some time. I am sure I will want some of those!

We are in port from 8-6 and our Royal Swim is booked for 12:00, so we can probably just see how it goes timewise. Good to know that the pics take some time. I am sure I will want some of those!

You should be find for time. We were in port 8-6, but had the 2:00 swim, and still made it. And I am sure the pics only seemed to take a long time because we were in a rush:) . Relax and browse their lovely shop and you will be thrilled with the results. Say hello to Ariel (our dolphin) for me!!!

I found this thread to be very informative and helpful to me in deciding what to do in Cozumel. A big thanks to all who posted their experiences and links! I have decided that Chakanaab Park is a "must see", and I am ready to visit it. Also, it seems that even their Dolphin Adventure at $99 allows you more interaction with the dolphins than the CCL Dolphin Swim excursion for $165.

One thing I didn't see addressed is the snorkeling that you get with the dolphins in the Dolphin Adventure. As best I can tell, this snorkeling is within the dolphin enclosure. If so, I assume we can go to the snorkel beach and snorkel some more after the dolphin adventure. I'm ready to go NOW! (But I have to wait 71 more days. UGH!!)

We rented snorkels and masks at Chankanaab last week (only $20 for a family of 4 for 3 hours). You will not be able to use the same snorkel equipment they provide for the dolphin adventure...that is just for the dolphin swim itself. The park itself is very nice, with a swimming pool and pleasant beach area. DW bought an "observer ticket" and was able to take pictures and video from fairly close... her shots are almost as good as the official dvd and photos (which we planned to not purchase, but ended up buying anyways!).

One thing I didn't see addressed is the snorkeling that you get with the dolphins in the Dolphin Adventure.

The reality is the snorkel in the name of the swim/snorkel adventure was a misnomer. they gave us mask and snorkel, but had us hang it on the dock most of the time. at one point, we were told to put it on but then when we got in the water we were doing other things like singing and playing with the dolphin. there never seemed to be an occasion to use the snorkel, though I am sure if we'd thought of it we could have ducked under and watched the dolphin from underwater. it just never seemed appropriate as the dolphin trainer keeps you active pretty much the entire time with other things. Perhaps another trainer would work it into the routine, this was just our experience. And they take the equipment from you as soon as your swim is over so you will have to go rent some if you want to snorkel on your own. I don't say this to be negative, the dolphin swim was wonderful and the snorkeling well worth it, just wanted to let you know so you are not disappointed. Have a ball!!

The reality is the snorkel in the name of the swim/snorkel adventure was a misnomer. they gave us mask and snorkel, but had us hang it on the dock most of the time. I don't say this to be negative, the dolphin swim was wonderful and the snorkeling well worth it, just wanted to let you know so you are not disappointed. Have a ball!!

OK, thanks. We will just plan to go snorkeling off the beach after the dolphin swim. I posted a question about whether or not I'll have time to make it to Chankanaab for the 10:00 section. If you could reply to that thread, I'd appreciate it. I'm so excited about this! :D

• 3 weeks later...
We rented snorkels and masks at Chankanaab last week (only $20 for a family of 4 for 3 hours). You will not be able to use the same snorkel equipment they provide for the dolphin adventure...that is just for the dolphin swim itself. The park itself is very nice, with a swimming pool and pleasant beach area. DW bought an "observer ticket" and was able to take pictures and video from fairly close... her shots are almost as good as the official dvd and photos (which we planned to not purchase, but ended up buying anyways!).

We are planning to do this and I asked if we could split up our group so half of us could watch (and take pictures of) the others with the dolphins and then switch for the next time slot. I was told we would not be able to observe from very close by. They did not mention an observer ticket option. How much was an observer ticket and how close could you get?

Do you remember how much the video and pictures cost?

Archived