Journey/Quest ages

etoile

Hi everybody, I've got a question. I just got the Winter 2006 issue of the CelebrityNews magazine, and I think there is a typo on page 6. Here is what it says:

INTRODUCING THE INTIMATE CELEBRITY JOURNEY AND CELEBRITY QUEST

The newest members of the Celebrity family will set sail in 2007.

Occupancy: 710

Tonnage: 30,277

Length: 593 feet

Beam: 95 feet

Draught: 19.85

Cruise speed: 22 knots

Inaugural Year: 2000

Celebrity Journey and Celebrity Quest are not finished products; ship features are subject to change.

Visit celebritycruises.com for updates in the coming months.

So what I am wondering about is that Inaugural Year. I had thought the Journey and the Quest were newbuilds. The part about "not finished products" seems to support this, but perhaps they are actually older ships being refurbished?

Can anybody confirm if this is a typo or what? Thanks! :)

Hi everybody, I've got a question. I just got the Winter 2006 issue of the CelebrityNews magazine, and I think there is a typo on page 6. Here is what it says:

INTRODUCING THE INTIMATE CELEBRITY JOURNEY AND CELEBRITY QUEST

The newest members of the Celebrity family will set sail in 2007.

Occupancy: 710

Tonnage: 30,277

Length: 593 feet

Beam: 95 feet

Draught: 19.85

Cruise speed: 22 knots

Inaugural Year: 2000

Celebrity Journey and Celebrity Quest are not finished products; ship features are subject to change.

Visit celebritycruises.com for updates in the coming months.

So what I am wondering about is that Inaugural Year. I had thought the Journey and the Quest were newbuilds. The part about "not finished products" seems to support this, but perhaps they are actually older ships being refurbished?

Can anybody confirm if this is a typo or what? Thanks! :)

They were originally built for Renaissance Cruise Lines which went bankrupt a few years ago, and were then used by another cruise line. They are in the process of being renovated before Celebrity adds them to their fleet.

Oh! I had no idea, I thought these were newbuilds. I was kind of wondering why they would be building such small ships...I guess I thought Celebrity was trying to take a new direction since they are planning on using these two for "exotic voyages" (according to the same CelebrityNews issue). Thanks so much for the information!

tried to find out where they would be sailing yesterday, and couldn't find it -- anyone know?

Just go to www.celebrity.com... All intineraries voor Journey are there from May 2007 through April 2008, and for Quest from October 2007 through April 2008!

The 3 new builds are Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse.

Floris

etoile,

Oh! I had no idea, I thought these were newbuilds. I was kind of wondering why they would be building such small ships...I guess I thought Celebrity was trying to take a new direction since they are planning on using these two for "exotic voyages" (according to the same CelebrityNews issue). Thanks so much for the information!

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes.

>> A press release on 31 October 2006 announced that Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., had obtained antitrust approval for a pending acquisition of a Spanish cruise and tour operator, Pulmantur SA. That press release also announced a ship swap, in which MV Zenith will go to Pulmantur and Pulmantur's MV Blue Dream, nee MV R6 of Renaissance Cruises, will become MV Celebrity Journey after a major refit that includes replacement of 48 standard cabins with 32 small suites on the aft half of deck eight, reducing the capacity of the ship by 32 passengers. This press release went on to state that MV Celebrity Journey will operate the Bermuda cruises previously announced for MV Zenith, and then will offer exotic itinerareis as part of the line's "Celebrity Expeditions" subbrand.

>> A press release on 14 December 2006 announed that MV Blue Moon of Pulantur Cruises will join the "Celebrity Expeditions" fleet in the fall of 2007 as MV Celebrity Quest after a similar refit. This press release also announced the itineraries for both ships for the fall and winter season of 2006-2007.

These vessels are part of the R1 class built for Renaissance Cruises. Both vessels entered service in 2000.

Norm.

Archived