Any place to get "exotic" food to go?

VikkiGarcia

This may seem like an odd request but while we are in town for a pre-cruise stay my son would like to try some very different foods. Is there anywhere to find items like gator or turtle soup in a takeout or to-go setting? I would like to spend as little as possible for each so he can try a bunch of things over a few days. Also if he is not crazy about it we are not throwing away a $10 cup of soup. We will be walking all over the french quarter and plan to walk around the garden district as well. Any other cheap dining suggestions for lunch or dinner are appreciated. Thanks

This may seem like an odd request but while we are in town for a pre-cruise stay my son would like to try some very different foods. Is there anywhere to find items like gator or turtle soup in a takeout or to-go setting? I would like to spend as little as possible for each so he can try a bunch of things over a few days. Also if he is not crazy about it we are not throwing away a $10 cup of soup. We will be walking all over the french quarter and plan to walk around the garden district as well. Any other cheap dining suggestions for lunch or dinner are appreciated. Thanks

There is a food court in the Rivercenter shopping center that may have what you're looking for.

try the French Market. Also, look up NOLA dotCom, the local paper, they have message boards for foodies, and several dining guides.

You didn't say when you were coming to New Orleans. Right now the French Market is under renovation, so many of the stalls there aren't open. You should be able to get turtle or oyster and artichoke soup several different places. Gator is pretty hard to find. The food court in the Rivercenter isn't you ordinary food court. There are several places that are very good, but if you want to go to the French Quarter there are lots of good restaurants there.

Thanks Map! When you said food court I thought typical mall food vendors. We will be in New Orleans March 15-18. Will the market be reopened? Do they still sell mixed drinks in to-go containers in the French Quarter?

When I say the French Market is under renovation I mean the original one - the open air market. It may be done by March, hard telling now just when construction jobs will get done. The shops and restaurants along Decatur Street (also sometimes called the French Market) are open for business as usual.

Yes they still sell drinks to-go just about everyplace. Since you'll be in town for St. Patrick's Day you'll be able to catch a St. Patrick/St. Joseph parade.

Archived