Must Sees for Antigua

rlkubi

If you are into history at all (especially naval history) I recommend taking a tour that includes the sites of the the Historical Park (a single $5 payment will cover your admission to all the historic sites - keep your ticket).

The sites consist of: Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, The Blockhouse and Dow's Hill Interpretation Centre. Shirley Heights, Dow's Hill and The Blockhouse also have excellent view of Antigua and the surrounding islands.

We did this tour with Lawrence and I highly recommend him. His website is

http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com

Antigua also has some very nice beaches - we enjoyed Long Bay Beach.

Don't have a must excursio but do have a ``must do'' while you are in Antigua.

If you enjoy fresh pineapple you should try the island's black pineapple while you are there. It's grown on the island and has a flavor unlike any pineapple I've ever eaten before. To me it has almost a citrus flavor lingering, like orange or tangerine.

Black pineapples are smaller than those we are used to here in the States and have a skin that is a purplish black color.

Dianne

Don't have a must excursio but do have a ``must do'' while you are in Antigua.

If you enjoy fresh pineapple you should try the island's black pineapple while you are there. It's grown on the island and has a flavor unlike any pineapple I've ever eaten before. To me it has almost a citrus flavor lingering, like orange or tangerine.

Black pineapples are smaller than those we are used to here in the States and have a skin that is a purplish black color.

Dianne

Where can you find the black pineapple? Is there a store or restaurant that has it??

Thanks!

Carrie

Where can you find the black pineapple? Is there a store or restaurant that has it??

Thanks!

Carrie

I believe black pineapples are in season during winter months in Antiqua. We saw hundreds of them at the farmers' market near the port but actually tasted our first (and hopefully never our last) one in a small restaurant near the dock. Since we were eating close to the dock the price wasn't what we would call cheap but every morsel was worth the price we paid. I'm assuming the fruit could be purchased in a restaurant further away from the dock at a lesser price.

Dianne

We were in Antigua on December 27th on a 14-day, 10-island

Princess cruise. Antigua was one of the highlights of our trip, and it is one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands. We were fortunate enough to have booked in advance an island tour with Antigua Premier Tours; they can be reached by email: gordon@antiguapremiertours.com Carl & Gordon operate this agency; we had Gordon & he was superb. He took us to Nelson's Dockyard, which is a must see for anyone visiting Antigua; on the way, he showed us the airport [yes, we were skeptical, too] complex, all the work of a wealthy Texan, absolutely gorgeous!! We did all the Dockyard bit, the only operating Georgian dockyard in the world, saw the incomparable view from Shirley Heights, had a lovely lunch at Admiral's Inn, stopped at Betty's Hope [sugar mill], and drove to the end of the island to view Devil's Bridge. The latter is a geological phenomenon unlike any we'd ever seen before and well worth the trip. He took us to a beautiful beach; beaches abound in Antigua. Throughout, he was charming, knowledgeable, professional, and courteous. We had ample time for photos and sightseeing everywhere.

If I could return to just one of the islands we visited, that one island would be Antigua. And I'd hire Gordon again! He was great. Antigua must be seen to be believed. Other Princess passengers who only went to the beach said they didn't think Antigua was all that special. That was because they didn't see it.

I hope that your visit to Antigua is as wonderful as ours was. If you book with Gordon, please tell him Connie says Hello. There were four of us on his very reasonably priced tour in his roomy, air conditioned van.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great cruise!:)

Connie

We'll be arriving on the Destiny in late January for a cruise. What is the must see or do excursion that you would recommend? Thank you!

There really is no must see thing here.The island has a few historical spots,very nice beaches and some scenery as compared to other islands. As far as Island tours go, Don't pay too much. As soon as you get off the ship there are dozens of tour guides offering 4-5 hour tours for $20 plus $5 for park admission.By using these guides,you are not stuck waiting for passengers from 3 other ships and you are also not loaded up like cattle.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Antigua on December 27th on a 14-day, 10-island

Princess cruise. Antigua was one of the highlights of our trip, and it is one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands. We were fortunate enough to have booked in advance an island tour with Antigua Premier Tours; they can be reached by email: gordon@antiguapremiertours.com Carl & Gordon operate this agency; we had Gordon & he was superb. He took us to Nelson's Dockyard, which is a must see for anyone visiting Antigua; on the way, he showed us the airport [yes, we were skeptical, too] complex, all the work of a wealthy Texan, absolutely gorgeous!! We did all the Dockyard bit, the only operating Georgian dockyard in the world, saw the incomparable view from Shirley Heights, had a lovely lunch at Admiral's Inn, stopped at Betty's Hope [sugar mill], and drove to the end of the island to view Devil's Bridge. The latter is a geological phenomenon unlike any we'd ever seen before and well worth the trip. He took us to a beautiful beach; beaches abound in Antigua. Throughout, he was charming, knowledgeable, professional, and courteous. We had ample time for photos and sightseeing everywhere.

If I could return to just one of the islands we visited, that one island would be Antigua. And I'd hire Gordon again! He was great. Antigua must be seen to be believed. Other Princess passengers who only went to the beach said they didn't think Antigua was all that special. That was because they didn't see it.

I hope that your visit to Antigua is as wonderful as ours was. If you book with Gordon, please tell him Connie says Hello. There were four of us on his very reasonably priced tour in his roomy, air conditioned van.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have a great cruise!:)

Connie

Hi Connie:

How much was the tour price with Gordon. I emailed them and they only quoted me for prices based on the duration, e.g. $40 per hour and 4 hours minimum. Did you agreed with a fixed price before the tour?

thanks

Tony

There were four of us traveling together. I emailed Antigua Premier Tours months ahead of time, outlined what we wanted to do, asked for a quote. Fares are set by the government. We did everything we wanted to do and more . . . they're wonderful guides. We paid $35 apiece for a tour that lasted at least 4 hours, maybe 5. We saw the airport complex [a surprise, not on our "to do" list, but amazing! all built by a wealthy Texan, includes a cricket stadium!], went to Dow Interpretation Center, Nelson's Dockyard, had lunch at the Admiral's Inn [not included in tour price] which was well worth it, Betty's Hope, and Devil's Bridge. Just driving with Gordon around Antigua was wonderful! It's a gorgeous island, and he's a charming, knowledgeable, courteous guide, eager to please. :) gordon@antiguapremiertours.com

Sorry for the delay in answering. I've just now seen your message. Hope it's not too late.

Connie

Archived