What to wear HELP, 1st time cruiser for the holidays

njgail

Will be sailing on Carnival, Glory Dec 25th-Jan 1st, need help on what to pack to wear? shorts? and little tops? pants and tee shirts? jackets? sweatsuits? dresses for dinner with sweaters? I want to be comfortable but also stylish, I will be leaving home wearing a winter coat any suggestions for transitioning into shorts and a bathing suit?

If you can avoid lugging a heavy coat with you, then do that. When we left for our cruise last January from Chicago, it was 10 degrees and all we went with was a nice sweatsuit and turtleneck sweater. You're not going to be standing outside for a long period of time---you're just going to be going from the car to the airport terminal, so keep the coat at home if you can. In all my mid-winter cruises, I've never taken a coat---just too much of a pain to carry around.

Holiday cruises tend to be more dressy in the evenings, so be prepared for that. Shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits with a cover up are fine during the day and for shore excursions. In the evening you will have two formal nights and the rest should be casual. Formal means long gown, cocktail dress, evening pants with a sparkly top for the ladies and tux, dark suit or at the very minimun a dark sport coat and dress pants and shirt and tie for the men. Casual means anything from a nice pants outfit, to a sundress or capris and a nice top for the ladies, and khaki slacks and a collard shirt for the men.

We fly from New England and in the winter we have to have a coat. These days you cannot be sure the airline won't declare a terminal closed for whatever reason and you may be forced outside.

I usually wear a polarfleeze jacket which gives adequate warmth but not alot of bulk. When we arrive in the warmer weather, I can usually stuff it into my carryon bag so no need to hold it. At worst, I put it into a front pocket of our suitcase after we retrieve our luggage from baggage claim.

Archived