Cozumel w/wheelchair

jmcdon7230

Do you knew which dock you will be at? We where at the main port in November and we where able to dock. Much better than tendering. We did the tending in January and be aware of which tender you take back. Ask if you have to go stairs to get off before you get on the tender.

We where not able to even get across the street. My DH uses a power chair and to get across the street they have a bridge over the road but no elevator to get up the bridge. They have a way to go around the building and come out to the street. There was a driveway we could have gone down but there was an island in the middle of the road with a high curb. In January my DH came down off the curb to get into a handicap van and the foot peddle hit the top on the curb going down and he end up breaking his leg. To go around the island you would have to ride down the sidewalk to the traffic light which was about two blocks. We started for the corner and came across men doing repairs and they had most of the sidewalk blocked so we went back. We ended up having a handicap cab van sent to our side of the street and we went to Paradise Beach instead of shopping.

If you have a manual chair and you can make it over curb you will have no problem. Just watch your foot peddles. The curbs are high and new and sharp. We have gone over and down many curbs in our days but these where the first that ever bite back.

Be aware the handicap cabs do not have roof cuts. So when you get into the cab be careful of you head. If you can not bend your neck good you could have problems. My DH almost hit his head. The roof of the van was a good 5 inches lower than this head they have a lift but the door opening is small.

Hope this helped.

We are considering having lunch at Casa Denis while in Cozumel. Are the sidewalks in Cozumel navigable with a wheelchair?

We were in Cozumel last September and they have improved the sidewalks along the frontage since the hurricain. My Husband is in a power chair and was able to get around without to many problems, once in a while I had to search out a route for the side streets and I had to buffer the crowds somewhat, but accessible they are. I'm not familiar with the restaurant you mentioned but I don't think you'll have problems getting around. I don't know it the restaurant is accessible.

There is taxi service for taxi's with a lift in your in need. Just go to the taxi stand an request it. It usually only takes a few minutes wait time.

Have fun.

Gramsk

you should contact your cruise line to find out if they can tell you whether the ship will be docking or anchoring and tendering. currently there is one dock operating which can take 2 ships. the balance that are in port that day, as many as 5 ships, will anchor and tender. it makes a big difference as to exactly where you will land and how accessible. also, keep in mind that even if they tell you one thing - like you will be docked - you may find yourself tendering. it all depends on which ships are in port that day and which have priority as regular callers.:)

When we were there in January, down the sidewalk was a ramp that led across the street from the pier. The shops that are located on second floor, we found an elevator on the side opposite the pier in that little mall. The ramp from pier to street is maybe 1/2 block if that far. I used a wheelchair all over and had little problem. Everystore I went to had wooden ramps they brought out. All you have to do is let them notice you and they are pulling them out before you can open your mouth. Not sure either about that restaurant as not familiar with it. Enjoy your stay :). Oh some of the stores had aisles that were pretty narrow inside. And many ship passengers that were shopping wouldn't step aside so I could pass even after I asked..go figure lol. When I inquired which ship they were on...they had sailed in on the princess out of fort lauderdale. Our ship was carnival fantasy, who bent over backwards for us and even passengers were overly kind.

Archived