Locking Luggage

Cassie2002

I WOULD LIKE THE ANSWER TO THAT ALSO. BECUZ I READ ON ANOTHER THREAD THAT A GUY AND HIS BUDDIES HAD BROUGHT BOOZE FROM THE DUTY FREE SHOP @PORT IN THEIR LUGGAGE W/ LOCKS ON IT AND THEY WERE ASKED TO REMOVE THE LOCKS AND FOUND THE BOOZE WHICH WAS TAKEN SO I'M KIND OF CONFUSED

Carnival's website and information book tell you to PLEASE LOCK your luggage when giving it to the porter, or leaving it outside your stateroom for pickup.

There have been reports where people have been asked to go to the pursers desk and open their luggage where booze was confiscated, but those are just rumors started by losers who want to, for unknown reasons, discourage you from smuggling booze.

So I know you can not lock your luggage at the airport. But is it ok to lock your luggage before you give it to the porter and get on the ship?

Thanks in Advance

Cassie

You can actually lock your luggage at the airport, just be sure to use TSA approved locks. We have had no problems with using them. We have had our luggage searched after checking and they have always been relocked with a note inside. TSA has a master key to unlock them at the airports.

We also lock any luggage given to a porter etc at the pier.

DH and I used the zip ties that are found at hardware stores and usually used by electricians and others to bundle wires together. We also take nail clippers or his little pocket knife and tuck that into one of the outer pockets that do not lock. This is put into checked luggage and is not a threat at the airport or on the cruise.

There have been reports where people have been asked to go to the pursers desk and open their luggage where booze was confiscated, but those are just rumors started by losers who want to, for unknown reasons, discourage you from smuggling booze.

My husband was asked to go to the purser's desk and get his dive bag because of the diving knife in it. He had to leave the knife with them and check it out in port when he wanted to use it.

The bag with the booze was delivered to our cabin just fine.

We have asked the airline personnel to lock our luggage after it went through TSA screening, when they were checking us in and weighing our bags, they have always been happy to do so. Other times we were told we could lock it before TSA screening because we could stand there and watch it being screened and open it if the TSA screener wanted in. I realize this is slightly off topic and am taking a risk of upset the self appointed monitors, but I just feel like a little excitement this morning.

After reading many posts, I was going to put zip-ties on my luggage for the cruise.

Then I got to thinking how would you open them once you got on board?

Do they allow a pair of nail clippers or small scissors in your carry on bag?

This may seem like a stupid question, but the last time I flew (it was a while ago)things like that were an absulote no-no, and id hate to pack my expensive tools, and have them confiscated at the port.

*im not flying, im driving to the port..but I just want to make sure I get through the security checks!

After reading many posts, I was going to put zip-ties on my luggage for the cruise.

I've read on here that folks put small clippers in a side pocket of the checked luggage with no problem. That way, they can retrieve them and clip the ties once in the cabin.

You can actually lock your luggage at the airport, just be sure to use TSA approved locks. We have had no problems with using them. We have had our luggage searched after checking and they have always been relocked with a note inside. TSA has a master key to unlock them at the airports.

I'm just adding my "Yes, exactly!" voice to this post that seemed to be overlooked earlier. You can simply lock your luggage at home prior to leaving for airline or cruise, and not worry about it at all from then on. Just go to one of several retail outlets that sell the locks that are TSA approved. They're not expensive, and you'll not have to worry about luggage being unlocked while out of your sight, or carrying extra zip ties, or carrying something to cut zip ties. If authorities want to check your baggage, they have a key to open it without damaging your lock. I'm notorius for throwing something in, or taking something out, at the last minute, and that whole zip tie routine would drive me nuts. Happy sailing, all!!

I've read on here that folks put small clippers in a side pocket of the checked luggage with no problem. That way, they can retrieve them and clip the ties once in the cabin.

We do use a set of fingernail clippers for cutting the strips. Just put it an outside, unlocked pocket.

Charlie

I use zip-ties that you can release. I think this is sufficient. If someone wants in your luggage bad enough, a ziptie is not going to stop them. Wouldn't take much to slice open most luggage now-a-days...

I use quick release zip ties because:

1) they look like regular zip ties.

2) they hold my zippers shut.

3) They are reuseable.

4) I don't need nail clippers or a knife to open my luggage.

5) Airport TSA can get into my bags easily, and re-ziptie my luggage with the same tie (has happened more than once).

6) They come in a variety of colors and this can help make your luggage more identifyable.

There have been several comments on the boards regarding TSA Locks being broken by TSA agents. I don't know if they don't recognize them or if it is too much trouble to get the master key.

Charlie

Charlie, there are still the TSA lock cheerleaders. However, from reading and reading these boards for so long now - seems the "master key" for the TSA locks is just too much trouble for the agents to go find. Lost master key, lazy agents, who knows.....Thus - cut locks anyway. So why pay the extra for the TSA locks? :rolleyes:

There have been several comments on the boards regarding TSA Locks being broken by TSA agents. I don't know if they don't recognize them or if it is too much trouble to get the master key.

Charlie

Charlie, there are still the TSA lock cheerleaders. However, from reading and reading these boards for so long now - seems the "master key" for the TSA locks is just too much trouble for the agents to go find. Lost master key, lazy agents, who knows.....Thus - cut locks anyway. So why pay the extra for the TSA locks? :rolleyes:

Archived