July 11 Pride Review - Part 4 Puerto Vallarto

SoccerMom#3

Part 4 Puerto Vallarta Wednesday, July 14

We woke up today to calm seas, a sunny sky and a Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club across the street from the Pier. We grabbed some breakfast at Mermaid’s Grille and headed to the Pier. My son and I were doing the Dolphin Swim and my husband and daughter were doing the Dolphin Encounter. To be honest I was a bit apprehensive about the Dolphin Swim since I am basically a big chicken but my son really wanted to do this and who knows when I would have another opportunity to swim with dolphins.

Everyone going on the 10:15 Swim or Encounter was met at the pier by a representative from Puerto Vallarta Adventures. As soon as our group was assembled we were directed to two buses just outside the gates of the pier. The area we were in seemed to be just off a busy street (and by a Wal-Mart.) We drove for about 30 minutes past the airport to an area of Puerto Vallarta called Nuevo Vallarta. There seemed to be a number of hotels/resorts here including the Paradise Village Resort and Spa that Carnival uses for the Beach Excursion.

When we got to the Dolphin Adventure place they divided us into 3 groups, those doing the Dolphin Swim, those doing the Dolphin Encounter, and those just watching. I didn’t know that there was an option to just watch and probably if I had known that I might have done that. However, having done the Dolphin Swim, I’m glad that is what I chose to do. Those of us doing the Encounter or Swim went to an area close by to listen to a short (maybe 15 minute) talk on tape about dolphins. The areas for the Encounter and the Swim were right next to each other so the whole time I could see my husband and daughter and they could see my son and I.

They asked us to take off all of our jewelry so we wouldn’t scratch the Dolphins. My wedding ring doesn’t come off so they put tape over my diamond. We then got into our bathing suits which most of us had worn underneath our clothes. You can just leave your clothes and backpacks or beach bags in the same place that you listen to the info about the Dolphins. It is right next to the pools they use for the Encounter and Swim and seemed quite safe to me. Those of us doing the Dolphin Swim then were fitted for life jackets, divided into groups of 8 and then got into the pool. We had 4 groups of 8. Those doing the Encounter went over to another smaller pool.

The groups of 8 doing the Swim got into the pool at different corners of the pools so we wouldn’t crowd each other. We each had a trainer from the Dolphin Swim place that stayed with us the whole time telling us what to do and answering all of our questions. They didn’t get into the pool but stayed on the deck directing the dolphins. Each group had two dolphins. I thought the water would be cold when we got in but it wasn’t. Since we had the life jackets on, we were able to basically just float and not have to tread water. We spent awhile just touching and petting the dolphins which was a great way to get us used to these large, beautiful animals swimming right next to us. To me their skin felt like a smooth rubber tire. I thought I would be scared but it was an incredible experience. While we were in the water with the dolphins another employee was walking around video taping all of the groups.

After awhile, in groups of two (since everyone in our group had come with one other person) the trainer had the dolphins plant a kiss on us with their nose. Of course a picture was taken of this so we could buy it later. After this in groups of two we each got to ride a dolphin. The trainer would have two dolphins roll over on their backs and then each person would grab the fins of the dolphin (so one person per dolphin) and go for a ride around the pool as the trainer directed the dolphins. Again, I wasn’t sure I could do this but it also was an incredible experience. The whole time in the water was about an hour although it seemed longer. All of us agreed that even though this excursion was not cheap, it was well worth it.

Those doing the Encounter got into a smaller pool and stood on a bench to pet and be kissed by the dolphin. I know my daughter and husband were fine with the Encounter but in my opinion for the difference in price ($99 vs. $169), I’d recommend the Swim.

After we were all out of the pool and raving about our experiences, we went to a little store where you could buy souvenirs such as shirts and other things related to Dolphins. Also on monitors they were showing the videos and pictures they had taken of everyone so that we could purchase them. We chose to purchase some pictures but did not buy the video. After about 30 minutes we got back on the buses and returned to the ship.

We went back to our rooms, changed into dry clothes, and then headed upstairs to Mermaid’s Grille for lunch. After we ate, we headed back to the pier, grabbed a cab and went downtown to shop. My husband had learned at the shopping talk the day before to tell the cab driver you wanted to be dropped off at Diamonds International or else the cab driver may not drop you off at a location convenient to the shops.

The shopping area is very congested with people and cars. After all Puerto Vallarta is a large urban city. It was very hot and humid so after stopping in a few stores and buying a few souvenirs, we grabbed a cab and returned to the ship. There are a few shopping stalls right in the area next to the ship. My son really wanted one of those large straw hats that say “Viva Mexico” so we stopped in shop to bargain with a shopkeeper. I probably should have bargained a bit more but live and learn. We bought a hat and I wondered if we were going to have to buy the hat a seat on our airplane back to Denver.

We turned on the TV while getting ready for dinner and saw that Jeopardy was on. We had been watching Jeopardy all summer while a contestant named Ken keeps winning, so watched the show this night. After dinner, we walked around the ship but didn’t go to the shows tonight. I think we were just worn out after the day in the sun and humidity. Of course my son still had lots of energy so he met up with his friends and hung out at the arcade, the hot tubs, and Mermaid’s Grille eating pizza until 1:00 am. The ship sailed at 10:00 and we were on our way to Mazatlan.

Archived