What Beach Would You Go to in Maui?

kmezz

Ka'anapali is good, Kapalua has less water sports (kayaks and snorkeling I think is all) but is truly one of the beautiful beaches of the world, but I would suggest a surf lesson from Outrageous Adventures (www.youcansurf.com or 800-339-1400). A group of us took lessons there and in our group of about 20 there were 4 instructors and the ages in our group were 4 to 57 and not one person was disappointed. If surfing isn't your thing, try a whale watch, assuming you are going before May 15th. We have been to Maui 3 times, twice during whale season and have thoroughly enjoyed the whales each time.

Have fun,

Re a cab to Kapalua/Napili -- would your ship be at Lahaina or Kahului? I wouldn't recommend it from either, but especially from Kahului. It would be prohibitevely expensive. Just rent a car!

In fact, if you're interested in that part of West Maui I'd suggest renting a car from Lahaina also. The roads on Maui are excellent - yes, they can get a bit crowded at some times. But the options for exploration of different beaches, towns, restaurants is so much bigger with a car.

My girlfriend seems interested in us going to Wailea beach? Is that beach any good? What is it like, in early May (we'd be there on May 2)? She read that Ka'anapali is very rough, so that's why we're thinking about Wailea. Thanks.

The water at any of the beaches can be rough. I absolutely would not classify Ka'anapali as very rough--except in the winter during storms or any other time when conditions make water conditions tough. In fact, Ka'anapali is one of the prime Maui beaches for all ages. Kids are in the water all the time. We've snorkeled at Black Rock many times in conditions ranging from very calm and basically glassy to "perhaps we should get out of the water now" before a storm.

Wailea is a very beautiful and enjoyable beach, although Ka'anapali is longer, has more facilities and options, and more parking. If you want to snorkel, your best choices (IMO) on the north west are Honolua Marine Preserve (no facilities, walk down from above), which can be excellent and among the best in the state; Kapalua and Napili can have okay snorkeling, but aren't prime for it, however they are both beautiful beaches and worth a visit just to relax and swim; Airport beach has facilities, easy entry, and good snorkeling; Black Rock in front of the Sheraton on Ka'anapali has good snorkeling and, of course, you have all the options along the length of the beach; and the area referred to as "14-mile marker" because it's at the 14 mile marker on 30. On the southwest, Wailea can have good snorkeling at either side; and Haluaka Beach (I think that's the correct spelling) in front of the Maui Prince is very nice and has very good snorkeling.

Both Ka'anapali and Wailea are good choices, so you really can't go wrong. As an FYI, a couple of days this December we found the water on the south-west beaches to be far to choppy and rough to even stay on the beach--it was that windy and there were so many whitecaps that the water looked like it had snow on it. Conversely, the water up at Ka'anapali and Kapalua was calm enough to snorkel and swim easily.

beachchick

Ka'anapali is good, Kapalua has less water sports (kayaks and snorkeling I think is all) but is truly one of the beautiful beaches of the world, but I would suggest a surf lesson from Outrageous Adventures (www.youcansurf.com or 800-339-1400). A group of us took lessons there and in our group of about 20 there were 4 instructors and the ages in our group were 4 to 57 and not one person was disappointed. If surfing isn't your thing, try a whale watch, assuming you are going before May 15th. We have been to Maui 3 times, twice during whale season and have thoroughly enjoyed the whales each time.

Have fun,

how much were surf lessons here?

I know a cab ride to Napili Bay, Kapalua or Wailea would be expensive but would it be more expensive than $200 round trip? That's what the ship is charging us (5 people) to go to Kaanapali and we really would rather go to one of the smaller beaches. What do you think - go to Kaanapali with ship tour or cab it to one of the other three. We really don't want to rent a car because we don't need it for the other things we are doing. Is there another way besides a cab(shuttle?) to get to the beaches. Thanks for all your help.

We will also be in Maui in June on the Tahitian Princess and will be docking at Lahaina. We want to go to a beach with shade and calm water, not a surf beach if possible. Which beach would be the nearest to the port and would there be any transport available other than a taxi.

We do not want to hire a car as we drive on the opposite side to you and want a hassle free holiday.

Jennie

The water at any of the beaches can be rough. I absolutely would not classify Ka'anapali as very rough--except in the winter during storms or any other time when conditions make water conditions tough. In fact, Ka'anapali is one of the prime Maui beaches for all ages. Kids are in the water all the time. We've snorkeled at Black Rock many times in conditions ranging from very calm and basically glassy to "perhaps we should get out of the water now" before a storm.

Wailea is a very beautiful and enjoyable beach, although Ka'anapali is longer, has more facilities and options, and more parking. If you want to snorkel, your best choices (IMO) on the north west are Honolua Marine Preserve (no facilities, walk down from above), which can be excellent and among the best in the state; Kapalua and Napili can have okay snorkeling, but aren't prime for it, however they are both beautiful beaches and worth a visit just to relax and swim; Airport beach has facilities, easy entry, and good snorkeling; Black Rock in front of the Sheraton on Ka'anapali has good snorkeling and, of course, you have all the options along the length of the beach; and the area referred to as "14-mile marker" because it's at the 14 mile marker on 30. On the southwest, Wailea can have good snorkeling at either side; and Haluaka Beach (I think that's the correct spelling) in front of the Maui Prince is very nice and has very good snorkeling.

Both Ka'anapali and Wailea are good choices, so you really can't go wrong. As an FYI, a couple of days this December we found the water on the south-west beaches to be far to choppy and rough to even stay on the beach--it was that windy and there were so many whitecaps that the water looked like it had snow on it. Conversely, the water up at Ka'anapali and Kapalua was calm enough to snorkel and swim easily.

beachchick

Thanks. Is there any way to check the water conditions on the day that we're in Maui, so that we can tell which one is calmer? Such as, an internet site that we can check from the ship? Since it sounds like it varies from day to day which beach is better, and there is no way to predict in advance. We'll be there on May 2, and it's an el nino year; which beach do you expect would be better? You seem to know a lot about weather and ocean patterns in Hawaii. Thanks again.

El Nino has a tendency to produce slightly drier winters in Hawaii. The effect the rest of the year is neglible. This is what NOAA says.

To find out the water conditions at beaches on your day in Lahaina there are several possibilities - just turn on a radio and listen (beach reports are part of every weather forecast). On the web, try the surf reports at:

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/pages/surfreports.php

If you have a weather radio, bring it along and listen. Wave reports are included in the repeated weather info.

I know a cab ride to Napili Bay, Kapalua or Wailea would be expensive but would it be more expensive than $200 round trip? That's what the ship is charging us (5 people) to go to Kaanapali and we really would rather go to one of the smaller beaches. What do you think - go to Kaanapali with ship tour or cab it to one of the other three. We really don't want to rent a car because we don't need it for the other things we are doing. Is there another way besides a cab(shuttle?) to get to the beaches. Thanks for all your help.

Even if you don't use a car for anything else, it's really your least expensive way to get across the island and to the beaches. In addition, you can stop at more than one beach.

There is a bus system on the island, but I don't know what the schedules are like. I remember that there were new and expanded schedules/routes starting, but I don't know when. Any bus will include multiple stops, so you'd have to factor in that extra travel time. Considering that it's more than an hour from Kahului to Kapalua just driving, a bus ride could eat up a fare amount of your time. IMO, it's not worth the savings when you have consider how valuable vacation time is.

I know that there have been a couple of threads lately about getting from Kahului to the Old Lahaina Luau for those who want to imbibe (and thus, not drive). I'm positive there was at least one shuttle listed, but it was $40 p/p (and that might be one-way), so you're still talking about at least $200.

Taking a taxi round-trip to and from Kapalua would probably be less than $200, but not be a whole bunch. It's more than $100 r/t from Kahului to Lahaina, so I'd guess that Kahului to Kapalua would be almost certainly be more than $150.

Even if you just pick up the car, use it for your beach day, and return it later that day, you'll save a huge amount and have the flexibility to go to more than one beach.

Aussie Gal: I have to recommend Ka'anapali for you. There is a shuttle that runs from Lahaina to Ka'anapali. You can pick it up across Front St. from the tender pier at the Wharf Cinema Center (around the back, I think). There are several stops and it costs just a few $.

Ka'anapali is a long beach with all kinds of areas. There's not a lot of shade, but there is some down at the Sheraton area. Just because a beach has some surfing, doesn't mean that's all there is there. You should be able to find a nice area to relax and perhaps swim. You'll only find truly calm water at some of the completely protected bays, which are not close to Lahaina and can still get some wave action. Kapalua, for example, has good reef protection, but still has waves. It depends a great deal on time of year. June is a good month in terms of calmer water in general, so you should be fine.

Other than that, you'd need to take a taxi to one of the other beaches. I'm trying to think about where there's shade on Maui beaches and coming up kind of blank. There are a few kiosks on Ka'anapali where they rent umbrellas and chairs to the general public, so might want to consider something like that. The resorts typically don't rent to the public, but I think the vendor called "Trilogy" is one that does.

beachchick

beachchick,

Thanks again so much. Your information is invaluable. I have printed it out and will take it with me.

I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind. We have booked the helicopter ride for Kauai in the morning. Is there a good beach nearby to the port (Nawiliiwili) where we can have a swim during the afternoon or is there something else you can suggest.

Also we were thinking of doing the ship's excursion to the volcano in Hilo. Other than hiring a car, is this the best way to see this wonder. I have tried looking up various tour companies but they don't seem to work in with the hours we are in port.

Jennie

Helo ride, IMO if there is a cloud in the sky forget it you need an absolutely clear day to enjoy a helicopter ride if you are expecting a view like the brochure.

About the beaches. The trade winds will blow almost every afternoon and that will affect water conditions at any beach, the best water conditions are before 1-2PM. IMO pass on Honolua bay it can be very exposed to the wind and waves.

Napili is a good choice just get there early parking can fill up quick. This is one of the better beaches in the afternoon.

About a car, a rental will be a lot less than $200.00 and will give you lots more mobility and options.

We like south Maui, Wailea beach is a good choice for the So. End.

So is Black rock for the Lahaina/Kaanapali area. An added plus for Black Rock is the Beach Bar at the Sheraton Hotel just behind the beach shrubs at Black Rock. Take a waterproof neck safe with you and when you get tired of swimming just walk thru the shrubs to have a drink an snack. You can park at Whalers village for 4 hours if you get your parking ticket validated. All public beaches have parking and so does Black Rock, it just fills early. The parking is at the so. end of the Sheraton parking building lower level, watch for the sign BEFORE you get to the Sheraton hotel area. You should know that ALL beaches are open to the public.

Our best Whale watching has been on the evening "Booze Cruise" offered at both Lahaina and Maalaea harbors.

Enjoy.

After struggling with it for a couple of months, I finally broke down and reserved a Thrifty car yesterday. There are only two of us and I just couldn't reconcile paying the approx. $65 each way to Old Lahaina Luau for a cab since there is no other viable travel option. And now we'll be able to eliminate NCL's $40 pp beach day & go ourselves. It'll be a Seabring for about $50. It'll save over $150 which means more for us to spend at the mall when we dock back in Honolulu!:o

beachchick,

Thanks again so much. Your information is invaluable. I have printed it out and will take it with me.

I have a couple of more questions if you don't mind. We have booked the helicopter ride for Kauai in the morning. Is there a good beach nearby to the port (Nawiliiwili) where we can have a swim during the afternoon or is there something else you can suggest.

Also we were thinking of doing the ship's excursion to the volcano in Hilo. Other than hiring a car, is this the best way to see this wonder. I have tried looking up various tour companies but they don't seem to work in with the hours we are in port.

Jennie

Kauai: The only beach that's easily accessible from the ship is at the Kauai Marriott. DH and I haven't been there, but many pax do walk over and report that it's a really nice beach. I hear the walk isn't gorgeous, but that it is easy. I'm not sure if people walk up the road and then down into the resort; if so, then I can concur that it's not a scenic walk (we drove that way), but certainly no problem. I think it's a fine idea for an afternoon swim at the beach. Easy to get to, no fuss, and no worries about being so far away you might miss the ship.

Hilo: DH and I always rent cars and do not do ship excursions, so I can't say whether the ship's excursion is better than tour companies. However, there were several (probably 20) small tour vans waiting at the dock when we walked off the ship. They were all advertising volcano, etc. tours, so you might be able to negotiate that. I have no idea how much they were or anything. Probably the easiest for you would be to book a ship's excursion because then you wouldn't have to worry about finding something once you get there. Book the longest, most in-depth excursion offered because VNP is worth the time and effort.

beachchick

beachchick,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and for your valuable information.

We are so looking forward to visiting Hawaii. I have always wanted to visit since my parents were there on a cruise way back in the early 1960's. At last I will see these wonderful islands even if it is for only a few days.

Jennie

Aussie Gal you should have great weather in the morning on Kauai, unless there's a weather system in the area. We did an afternoon helo trip one time and still had great views of the canyon, and Napili coast, although we couldn't get into the crater area because of cloud and rain. Enjoy!

dawoods,

Thanks for that. It will be our first helicoptor trip ever so I am both excited and a bit fearful.

We have been up in hot air balloons and done lots of other exciting things but I have always shied away from a helicoptor ride but could not go to Hawaii and not do one. You only live once!

Jennie

Archived