Is Panama safe??

lyttleone1977

My family has a cruise booked that will be stopping in Panama. My father has always wanted to see the Panama Canel, but after reading on here, my mother is now cautious if we should cancel this booking and go with another. Personally I want my dad to see the things he has always wanted to see, but she is the one calling the shots. Any help would be appreciated!

If you go on a ship's excursion you will be absolutely fine. There is a lot of poverty in Panama, but have heard very little about actual problems or anything.

I am going in March and we are taking a tour and have absolutely no hestitation with doing this. I was much more apprehensive about Jamaica.

The city of Colon where most ships dock is very poor and I would not wander around alone by myself But I would not let it stop me from going on a cruise to Panama. However, you should be fine on a tour or in the shopping area near the dock.

We are on the Liberty, and I know they do not enter the canal. My mother is more apprehensive then I am - I went on my last cruise alone, went to Jamaica and I had no issues with being alone. I did do a ship tour, but spent a good part of my time alone.

I have been more aprehensive about my safety in some of the seedy portions of Miami while driving to the port. Having said that, just follow the same precautions you would at home. As the previous posters have said, Colon is not the garden spot of the world, if you are with a ship's tour or one of the other reputable tour operators you will be fine. The areas where the tours would normally take you are safe.

Have fun, the canal is really something to see... enjoy!

Archived