extended balcony anyone?

covkid

while looking at the Miracle I noticed they have some cabins with extended balconies, has anyone any information on these. Thanks for your help:)

We had extended balconies on both the Legend and Spirit - which is the same class as the Miracle. The size of the balcony depends a little on the location of the cabin. Generally the extended balcony is deeper which give you more room to get around. It is not huge by any means but the extra room is great. If we book on this same class, we will try to get an extended balcony for sure. - the one I personally liked the best was the one in the aft.

We are sailing on the Conquest next Sunday and we have a cabin with the extended balcony. The plans make it look twice as large as the regular balconies. We'll let you know how it is when we return. The extra room will always be a bonus if you like to spend time out there!

while looking at the Miracle I noticed they have some cabins with extended balconies, has anyone any information on these. Thanks for your help:)

I can't speak from experience but as stated already, they are deeper. I have read that the only issue is if a standard balcony is above you there is no privacy on the outer part of the extended balcony. For privacy, you would have to stay in the same area of the standard balcony above you.

I was just on the Spirit 2 days ago and had an extended balcony. I don't know what the other balconies were like because this is my first cruise, but it was nice out there as you aren't tripping over each other at all trying to get out onto the balcony. It's not a huge balcony, but it's enough room where you can actually put two chairs next to each other on one side of the balcony without feeling too crowded.

I typed 3 long responses and lost them every time..(my fault)...here I go again.....my take on extended.

I've only cruised regular balconies inbetween cabin decks(quiet)..... standard regular roughly 9 feet wide by 4 feet deep (bulkhead to rail)

This time I'm going standard extended......roughly 9 feet wide 6 feet deep.......

1)there are extended across the back, glass angled due to the shape of the ship.

2)there are extended along the sides of the ship in the recessed "cut out" areas located over the lifeboats

3)there are extended along the front of the UPPER deck

my take on them......

1)the standard aft are nice, but if I'm not in a HUGE wraparound...I'd rather be able to see where I'm comming from and going to

2)we like to see water against the hull so for us looking down at lifeboats is a concern that actually made me downgrade to regular balconies for my last cruise AND your left/right view can be obstructed too, what I mean by this is...if you are too far forward/aft in the recessed area, your side view can be obstructed a bit by the regular balcony cabins......

an example:

marvel1.gif

cabin 5133 located in the recessed "cut out" area will have an obstructed forward view because of cabin 5131.....being the center cabin of the recessed area will eliminate the feeling of having a cabin blocking your forward/aft view.

we are going with the third option....UPPER deck forward 5108 thru 5112 because of:

1)extended balcony

2)angled glass because the shape of the ship(the decks above are regular with straight glass...angled= more legroom)

3)no lifeboats

4)not located in the recessed area

photos from someone's webshots....http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2116229400059461464PEQFlk

Thats my viewpoint, hope I didn't confuse you LOL

We just booked Cabin 7256 on the Miracle for May. We decided to try the extended balcony this time because there are 4 of us in the room, and the extra space on the balcony might come in handy.

We have had standard balconies on the Spirit twice (4160 and 5206 I believe). They were very nice, and I am excited to see the different decor on the same class.

Besides, if you're booking a balcony room on a cruise ship, can you really go wrong?:D

Joe

We have one booked for Jan 27 on the Legend. It is in the Aft. We always have been in the middle of the ship. Can you really see the difference? Is it a lot bumpier? I already wear the Patch. Never had an extended one before. Thanks Esther

We are sailing on the Conquest next Sunday and we have a cabin with the extended balcony. The plans make it look twice as large as the regular balconies. We'll let you know how it is when we return. The extra room will always be a bonus if you like to spend time out there!

Conquest ships do not "sell" extended balconies like the spirit class.

the balconies on each deck cost the same as the others on the same deck. Not so on the Spirit class ship where you can have 3 different categories on the same deck.

Are you talking about the L shape cabins?

• 7 months later...
I typed 3 long responses and lost them every time..(my fault)...here I go again.....my take on extended.

I've only cruised regular balconies inbetween cabin decks(quiet)..... standard regular roughly 9 feet wide by 4 feet deep (bulkhead to rail)

This time I'm going standard extended......roughly 9 feet wide 6 feet deep.......

1)there are extended across the back, glass angled due to the shape of the ship.

2)there are extended along the sides of the ship in the recessed "cut out" areas located over the lifeboats

3)there are extended along the front of the UPPER deck

my take on them......

1)the standard aft are nice, but if I'm not in a HUGE wraparound...I'd rather be able to see where I'm comming from and going to

2)we like to see water against the hull so for us looking down at lifeboats is a concern that actually made me downgrade to regular balconies for my last cruise AND your left/right view can be obstructed too, what I mean by this is...if you are too far forward/aft in the recessed area, your side view can be obstructed a bit by the regular balcony cabins......

an example:

marvel1.gif

cabin 5133 located in the recessed "cut out" area will have an obstructed forward view because of cabin 5131.....being the center cabin of the recessed area will eliminate the feeling of having a cabin blocking your forward/aft view.

we are going with the third option....UPPER deck forward 5108 thru 5112 because of:

1)extended balcony

2)angled glass because the shape of the ship(the decks above are regular with straight glass...angled= more legroom)

3)no lifeboats

4)not located in the recessed area

photos from someone's webshots....http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2116229400059461464PEQFlk

Thats my viewpoint, hope I didn't confuse you LOL

You may be in for a rougher ride that close to the bow. That's why those EB's are generally last to go. JMHO

We had 6332 xlong ext bal last year on the Miracle. Ckeck it out for 4 people . THE BEST. We have 7258 Oct 20, 2008 can"t wait. Almost 3times long same price as ext bal. YOU WILL LOVE IT

We had the extended balcony on the Miracle August 15. It was cabin 6232 on the Empress deck. The room was standard, but the balcony was huge! We had 2 chairs, a table , a lounger and we still had plenty of room. I would book the same cabin in a heart beat. You can not go wrong on the Miracle.

We were on an extended AFT balcony on the Spirit, very nice. It was right next to a wrap around. But I sure would not call it very private. But I have nothing to compare it to as that has been our only balcony.

we understand this when I booked ...that and being over the showroom. We were willing to take the risk. For us the advantages to these cabins outweighed the negatives.

I did not think it was a rough ride at all, very pleasant. I have never slept as well as I did in that bed and that stateroom.

Have a wonderful crusie.

We had a regular extended side balcony on the Spirit ( as opposed to the rear extended balconyies that are available on all the ships). All the Spirit class ships have them, we were 8E on the Empress deck. The balconies are two feet deeper for the length of the balcony. We loved it. If you look straigh down from the rail you can see the top of the lifeboats two decks down so you can't see the hull of the ship. They are not visible at all when sitting in the deck chairs and make it very easy to walk around people who are already sitting in the chair. We had no issues with the 8D balconies blocking our view since we were in the center of the aft bank of 8E's. These cabin usually only cost $20 more that the standard balconies. I have a little issue with heights, I felt much more comfortable with the extended balcony as compared to the standard balcony on the Victory.

I think our cabin was 6267. Great location.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitown cruisers

we understand this when I booked ...that and being over the showroom. We were willing to take the risk. For us the advantages to these cabins outweighed the negatives.

I did not think it was a rough ride at all, very pleasant. I have never slept as well as I did in that bed and that stateroom.

Have a wonderful crusie.

Pegs222, Just curious, which cabin are you referrig to? Your aft cabin or did you also have the same cabin as chitown's, which is closer to the bow of the ship?

Chitown, I've never had a cabin that close to the bow, so I can't speak from personal experience, but that is what some say. And then others say the newer ships with the stabilizers and all, don't have that problem. Hopefully, the later is true. Hope you have a great cruise!

we are completely aft on the Freedom in January, Verandah right next to a wrap around, I don't remember the cabin #. I am excited to see what it's like back there. we have only cruised once before on the Legend out of NY. Had a balcony and loved it. Can't wait to see this one. there's not a lot of info on the Freedom, it's kind of a bummer.

Can't wait for January

Rebecca

We had a regular extended side balcony on the Spirit ( as opposed to the rear extended balconyies that are available on all the ships). All the Spirit class ships have them, we were 8E on the Empress deck. The balconies are two feet deeper for the length of the balcony. We loved it. If you look straigh down from the rail you can see the top of the lifeboats two decks down so you can't see the hull of the ship. They are not visible at all when sitting in the deck chairs and make it very easy to walk around people who are already sitting in the chair. We had no issues with the 8D balconies blocking our view since we were in the center of the aft bank of 8E's. These cabin usually only cost $20 more that the standard balconies. I have a little issue with heights, I felt much more comfortable with the extended balcony as compared to the standard balcony on the Victory.

I think our cabin was 6267. Great location.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chitown cruisers

Pegs222, Just curious, which cabin are you referrig to? Your aft cabin or did you also have the same cabin as chitown's, which is closer to the bow of the ship?

Chitown, I've never had a cabin that close to the bow, so I can't speak from personal experience, but that is what some say. And then others say the newer ships with the stabilizers and all, don't have that problem. Hopefully, the later is true. Hope you have a great cruise!

I was 8 back from the bridge on the Triumph and it was no different from our mid Miracle(but we had great seas both times).......I've been weighing the pros and cons for a year....I just can't wait for it to get here. Hopefully (fingers crossed)...the cons won't dominate the cruise:eek: . We've had family discussions multiple times about switching to "safer" cabins. We all agreed to go for it and that the couple of concerns wouldn't stop us from having a great family cruise. Thanks for the well wishes.

You need to keep in mind comparing Conquest class ships and Spirit class is apples and oranges.

I did like the little extra from the extended on the Spirit class. It makes the difference of getting out the door without a problem or having to climb over the person already sitting outside.

I am so glad I read this post, In the pics it looks like the room is skinnier in the ext. balconies, I guess that is not so? We are booking a balcony, I will make sure to take all this into concideration and plan the spot just right! Thanks for the detailed Info!:)

Archived