Rhapsody vs Conquest - Galveston

Which would you choose? My 4 buddies and our spouses are trying to make a cruise our annual get together. We all love RCCL, but like most of us we wonder if the grass is greener. We are planning on Western Caribbean out of Galveston at the end of April and its down to these two ships / lines. Last year we took the Vision to the Mexican Riviera and loved it...LOVED IT! It's going to be tough to top it :D

I would love personal experiences and thoughts (can't hardly wait to hear them!).

I haven't been on the Conquest, but have a friend at work that has been on it numerous times. It is a much larger ship and "flashier" in decor. It does have a speciality resturant. I suggest going to http://www.cruiseclues.com and click on each ship. There you can read various reviews and see many pictures. Hope this will help in deciding. Which ever way you choose, enjoy and have fun.

The Rhapsody and the Vision are twins. The Vision crew was very good and we really enjoyed our cruise. Having said that, the crew on the Rhapsody is outstanding! If you loved your Vision cruise and the Vision herself, you'll be in heaven on the Rhapsody.

P.S. As you know, the Rhapsody and the Conquest have similar itineraries. On our last Rhapsody cruise, every one we met on shore from the Conquest was saying they wished they were on the Rhapsody.

I was on Glory, a replica of Conquest. It was incredibly crowded and the pool area is stadium style which was awful. Few of the decks go all the way, there were issues with smoke and the whole ship felt overcrowded all the time.

The dining room is not as elegant and the entertainment and announcements during dinner must be an acquired taste.

I enjoyed my Rhapsody cruise and prefer the size, decor, food and service.

Another vote for Rhapsody. Although we haven't cruised Conquest, I can't think it is better. After numerous cruises, Rhapsody remains our favorite and we are really "ticked off" at RCCL for moving her away.

It does seem everone is PO'd about the Rhapsody move doesn't it. That should say how everyone feels about her. I think Voyager is a wonderful ship bu Rhapsody sure has her own charm. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.:)

Which would you choose? My 4 buddies and our spouses are trying to make a cruise our annual get together. We all love RCCL, but like most of us we wonder if the grass is greener. We are planning on Western Caribbean out of Galveston at the end of April and its down to these two ships / lines. Last year we took the Vision to the Mexican Riviera and loved it...LOVED IT! It's going to be tough to top it :D

I would love personal experiences and thoughts (can't hardly wait to hear them!).

We sailed both last year...and each has it's pluses and minuses. We. my DH and I (in our early 60's and active) prefer the Rhapsody, ...we prefer the smaller ships..easier to get around the ship...the Conquest took some manouvering ;) ..however saying that, our son and DIL and another couple in their late 30's who sail with us, preferrred the Conquest. One reason we chose the Conquest was they offer Military rates for veteran's. Another was we didn't want to go to Key West again. We loved going to Montego Bay Jamaica. For the 'younger ones' there seemd to be more entertainment (things to do) on the Conquest. Food was good on both ships.....some meals we liked very much, some were just OK. We did enjoy the speciality restaurant on the Conquest.

More than worth the extra charge. It was quicker embarking and disembarking on the smaller Rhapsody. The cabins and balcony (balcony aft) were larger on the Conquest and the divider was opened between ours and our son and DIL's balcony. On the Rhapsody we enjoyed being able to order from a limited dinner menu via rooms service.. My advise is to look at what you and your friends are expecting from the cruise...and then read reviews from other guests.... no matter which you choose you will IMO not be disappointed.

Sailed on Rhaspody this past Sept. Loved the ship and cruise. You can read my review of the cruise by clicking my 'review' link below my signature. Also there are photos from our cruise which will give you an idea of the ship.

For vitural tours of the Rhaspody go to this URL:

http://www.americasvacationcenter.com/cruises/ship_info.cfm?csid=511&action=cst&sid=&sail_date=8/1/2006&SP=1&ppp=1&startrow=1Media

Compare it to the Conquest by seeing vitural tours here:

http://www.americasvacationcenter.com/cruises/ship_info.cfm?csid=482&action=cst&sid=&sail_date=2/1/2007&SP=1&ppp=1

If those links do not take you directly, copy and paste them into your browser window.

Personally, I think both ships would be beautiful. The Rhapsody is most certainly older and smaller, however it is lovely and you do not feel over crowded on a cruise on her.

Whatever choice you make, I am sure you will enjoy the ship and cruise...Happy Cruising!

We have been on The Rhapsody twice and the Conquest last year. WE, a family of four, prefered the Rhapsody..seemed more family friendly. But the Conquest was a great ship. Much larger than the Rhapsody and had a better variety of food "places". We loved the sandwich shoppe on the Conquest. Made the best Reubens. Also loved the fish and chips restaurant and the pizza was much better than RCCL. But as you can see after my signature we are going on the Rhapsody again this year.

You can read my review of the Conquest o this website. Just do a search of my name..Riley's Mom and you should be able to pull it up..

Hope this helps.

Carla

It sounds like your plan is to make your cruise something you can look forward to each year and if I read into your post correctly, you and your buddies ( & spouses) will be sans children. If that is the case, MHO would be to book Rhapsody. (Conquest has more to do for younger kids)

We have cruised Rhapsody three times before and are booked on the 4/29 sailing also. We have also cruised on Vision and as the earlier poster said, if you loved the Vision and her crew...you'll be spoiled with the Rhapsody. She wasn't voted the "friendliest ship on the seas) for nothing! Since you have sailed Vision, you'll feel like you're back on board her again. The Rhap is a mirror image and about the only difference we could tell was the color schemes and the art work that decorates both ships. Since the Rhapsody is leaving Galveston permanently in September 2007, alot of very very satisfied RCCL Rhapsody cruisers will have to make some decisions. The size, the charm, the atmoshpere and the great crew of the Rhapsody will be a hard act for any other ship to follow. (Not sure the extra personal touch can be found on the Voyager!)

I wish you the best in making your choice, and either way you go, cruising is still better than going to work!

"Rise with the tide...

Go with the flow" ;)

Our very first cruise was on the Conquest. We loved it for the reason of FUN!!! It was a huge ship, with many activities going on at the same time.We knew that it was going to be a "party boat" mostly 20's and 30s. There were 500 kids on board, but we hardly noticed. They must keep them pretty busy. We loved our waiter. The staff was friendly. (It must be a Texas thing).

We are booked on The Rhapsody of the Seas in May, for the reason of togetherness. This time we are taking the kids. We did not want a big ship, we wanted to be able to keep track of them easily. I heard multiple times how friendly Rhapsody is. which ever you choose, It would be better than working or cooking your own supper.

I've been on both and while both are nice ships my vote goes to the Rhapsody. Very friendly crew, much easier to get around, The Quest, liked the shows better, etc. The Conquest always felt overcrowded to me and it took forever to get anywhere on the ship. No major likes or dislikes, just something special about the Rhapsody.

Archived